my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Bassassination (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Bassassination
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 21, 2007 08:30     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
actually Rush is mentioned in the first post, but Geddy is a God, that's for sure.

Oops so he was, my bad!

quote:
I love the first 3 Primus albums, and Les is amazing, I just wish he'd stop writting comedy lyrics. How many times can you hear the same joke? Primus material got too redundant and boring even though it's technically brilliant. Even stuff Les has done with other projects of the song he wrote with Gov't Mule sounds all the same. I did dig his Frog Brigade album because he covered a lot of great tunes. I still listen to my Blind Illusion cd every now and then. I've been reading the Metallica book SO WHAT and Claypool auditioned for the band, but they said he was too good.

I found Pork Soda a handful. Technically flawless but perhaps too self indulgent. After that I felt Primus lost their way quite badly. There's no doubting how good Les/Larry/Herb are with their respective instruments but their output after Sailing The Seas Of Cheese sounded more like workouts for anoraks than music.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2007 15:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree with ya about Primus. I think Les always wanted to be like Zappa, but he missed the mark. After Sailing the Sea of Cheese it just got too stupid and corny instead of artistic and brilliant.

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 21, 2007 19:46     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm... you guys oughta listen to The Brown Album again.
slaydesays
VoivodFan
Member # 911

posted January 22, 2007 06:40     Profile for slaydesays   Email slaydesays     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rob Wright deserves a mention as a bass god (nomeansno)
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 22, 2007 07:06     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would mention Frank Bello of Anthrax but you can only hear the clacky wobble. If he cut his fingernails you'd hear no bass at all.

Same goes for (well, fucking shoot me for saying it) Cliff Burton.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 22, 2007 09:54     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:
Anything by Metallica I like after that needs to be filed under "Guilty Pleasures"

Late Metallica is more like "Guilty displeasures".

I must give four thumbs up (with my big toes) for all the bass players that were mentioned here, especially Chris Squire (aka, "he-who-because-of-him-I-got-a-bass"), John Wetton and that Darkie guy from Voidvoid (or whatever they're called).

Speaking of guilty pleasure, I like Flea, because of the funkyness, the agressiveness in the funkyness, and the energy he puts on the give a show full of agressiveness and funkyness. Plus he's got a booming bass sound.

GO AHEAD, TANGENTO, SUE ME FOR LIKING FLEA!!!!!!!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 22, 2007 13:42     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Hmm... you guys oughta listen to The Brown Album again.

I did and I still don't rate it that highly. Can't put my finger on why though...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 22, 2007 14:12     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
Late Metallica is more like "Guilty displeasures".

Absolutely, if we're talking about St Anger Management. But my guilty pleasures do include that nice pop song Until It Sleeps, and also Bleeding Me - both feature some interesting bass work by Jasonic. It's a pity you need to tune down half a step to play along.

Oh and I loathe Hetfield's oooing and ohhing when he's singing.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 22, 2007 14:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Mal, why would Flea have to be a guilty pleasure? The Chilis groove and funk it up. I'm not thrilled by the last laste release or One Hot Minute, but they have a pretty damn good catalog in my opinion. The y get my white ass shakin.

The guys who have been in FISHBONE are also some bad ass bass muthas. Bonin In The Boneyard.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 23, 2007 09:06     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Hey Mal, why would Flea have to be a guilty pleasure? The Chilis groove and funk it up. I'm not thrilled by the last laste release or One Hot Minute, but they have a pretty damn good catalog in my opinion. The y get my white ass shakin.

The guys who have been in FISHBONE are also some bad ass bass muthas. Bonin In The Boneyard.

Amen, and Frusciante is one of the most underrated guitar player ever, IMO.

Oh, and that reminds me: Living Color had great bass players, and were like the Red Hot with better musicians (and a better singer!) TIME'S UP!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 23, 2007 19:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting thing about the Chili's is when Navarro joined I thought that was the perfect combination since I was a Jane's fan and really dig the Peppers, but it turned out to be a piece of shit album that I just can't bring myself to listen to again. I'm so glad Frusciante came back.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted January 26, 2007 11:17     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

that be Norwood Fisher! bad ass stoner bass man!
lessee, fave bassists? In no particular odor-
Norwood, Meshell N'Degeocello (sp), Bootsie, Flea, El Noiry of Voodvod, Family man Barret. too many more to list.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 26, 2007 18:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot Fisher is one of the the original Fishbone guys besides Angelo who has been there since the beginning. Brilliant band... lost me on a few albums that kinda meandered around, but overall a damn fine "funky groovy get your ass shakin hard rockin thrashin you name it it's in there" catalog of music.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan