my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Bassassination (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Bassassination
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted January 18, 2007 14:26     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So J-Y Noiro undoubtedly delivered some of the bestest-ever bass tones known to man on those great old VV albums. I love the huge, up-front, tubed-out bass sound and in turn love lots of other songs that have a great bass presence. My nominees (and each band had lots of great tunes, but these are the standouts):

Houses of the Holy (LZep)
Red Barcetta (Rush)
Down (Stone Pimple Pilots. Seriously.)
All Motorhead (Can't pick just one)
Mandocello (Cheap Trick)

Your nominees?

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 18, 2007 17:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
almost every song by BUDGIE

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 18, 2007 17:11     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anything by YES, or at least the 70s stuff. Chris Squire is God.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 18, 2007 17:13     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and I forgot to mention John Wetton's work with King Crimson (anno '73-'74). Outstanding bass-sounds!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Hen Manilla
VoivodFan
Member # 82

posted January 18, 2007 20:28     Profile for Hen Manilla   Email Hen Manilla     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Simon LeBon's tone on PIL's Second Edition is pretty sick, particularly on the tune "Zinc-plated Buckets (are useful)".

Also that chick from the Shaggs had a very Wetton-esque tone years before Lark's Thumbs was released.

--------------------

Mined, yet not _ ____ _ .

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted January 18, 2007 22:42     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jaco Pastorious-on Joni Mitchell's Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, and Shadows and Light DVD. Amazing!
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted January 18, 2007 22:56     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
How could I forget?
The Stranglers "Do You Wanna"

Stranglers-Do You Wanna
Off of Stranglers-Black and White
Here's one of the original Blower Basses! Check out their other stuff like Nice and Sleazy, In the Shadows,Enough Time,Bring on the Nubiles, No More Heroes, Peasant in the Big Shitty, Peaches,
Down in the Sewer.
Also see Gentle Giant's Power and Glory album. And the Jesus Lizard, Rapeman, and Scratch Acid.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 19, 2007 01:46     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously anything from Steve Harris, I realize that that's a "no-brainer" for most nominations, but I've always loved the fact that his bass was always up front in the mix...plus on the earlier albums, you could never knock the "attack" he got from his finger-picking!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 19, 2007 06:32     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anything by Geezer Butler.

In different genres, Jaco, Marcus Miller, and Billy Sheehan (in Niacin) are up there too.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 19, 2007 06:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll ecvho Angel Rat's opinion of YES and KC (but every configuration of the band... let not forget how God-like Levin and Gunn are)

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 19, 2007 07:14     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm really into John Entwhistle's playing at the moment. He's so on-the-money that you quite often don't realise how great he is.

Blacky has been my #1 all time favourite bassist since 1989 - the tone, the phrasing, he's in a class of his own on Nothingface. But I wouldn't tell him that, the bighead bastard heheheheh.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted January 19, 2007 07:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hen Manilla:
Simon LeBon's tone on PIL's Second Edition is pretty sick,

I thought it was Jah Wobble, but if it was the boufanted coastguard-bothering twat I'll eat my boots.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 19, 2007 14:40     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now this is a topic I can really sink my teeth into. I've got nothing new to add here, just amplifying (get it? haha) all of the above.

Chris Squire is the greatest bassist that's ever walked this earth. Period. Lesser deities, but deities nonetheless, include Geddy Lee, John Wetton (from his Crimso days, specifically "Larks' Tongues in Aspic"), Tony Levin. All the usual suspects. They all rock mightily. Jean-Jacques Burnel, from the Stranglers, is so overlooked it's pitiful. Listen to their cover of "Walk On By"...the bass in that'll send shivers up your spine.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted January 19, 2007 14:46     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crap...shouldn't have hit the "post" button before I was done.

Cliff Burton (R.I.P.): "Anaesthesia/Pulling Teeth" remains the best bass solo work since Chris Squire's "The Fish", on the Yessongs album.

Robert Trujillo: Go listen to Suicidal Tendencies "Lights, Camera, Revolution" for some nasty bass work. Too bad he got sucked into the Metallica mediocrity machine before his true potential could be fully realized.

(Lest you think this is some kind of Metallica-bassplayer love letter, it ain't. These two were/are legendary, and don't need Metallica to ensure their greatness. Jasonic's good too, but he really does need more of the punchy/buzz-saw tone. He's never created a "signature" sound of his own, in spite of having excellent chops/technique.)

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 19, 2007 14:53     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RON ROYCE motherfuckers!!!

--------------------

String em up

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted January 19, 2007 17:52     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Besides the players already mentioned here, Eric Langlois' bass sound has always rocked, especially on None So Vile. Cronos' sound on At War With Satan is fucking killer too.
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted January 19, 2007 18:18     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PHIL LYNOTT!! Just listen to Parisienne Walkaways...

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 19, 2007 19:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Turn this up loud(and throw those awful Yes albums out your window):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTpuZgWBtos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mj9FhrlEh0

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted January 19, 2007 21:25     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
They all rock mightily. Jean-Jacques Burnel, from the Stranglers, is so overlooked it's pitiful. Listen to their cover of "Walk On By"...the bass in that'll send shivers up your spine.

Exactly!!!
Stranglers-Do You Wanna

And oh yeah--
early Godflesh, especially Streetcleaner, also has that crazy heavy Nothingface-type bass sound...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 19, 2007 23:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMN MEZ, I thought you were going to post a couple UK video links

I think Jason is a great bassist but being in Metallica he got stiffled and wasn't able to shine like he did in Flotsam or Voivod.

Trujillo IS a fuckin monster. A bad ass funky metal groove master of the low end.

That Steve Harris guy in Iron Maiden ain't too bad either.

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 20, 2007 12:52     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Head Villain:
RON ROYCE motherfuckers!!!

Exactomundo!!! The bassline to "Masked Jackal" is Groovyyyyy!!!!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted January 20, 2007 16:09     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great thread. I love bass...

Umh...how about good ole Lemmy Kilmister ?

Theriault rules them all of course.

I also like the tone of Dysrhythmia's Clayton Ingerson and now Colin Marston, they play six string basses, distorted, in your face, gorgeous.

--------------------

What the...?

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 21, 2007 04:57     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nobody has mentioned Geddy Lee??? Sacrelige! A list of tracks too long to mention! Just pick an album and marvel at the skill

Les Claypool is God. The first two Primus albums are the work of a genius. He didn't really get to shine when he played bass for Blind Illusion on The Sane Asylum but it was clear even then he was a bit special. Check out Bloodshower - classic. Better still just find the album, it's a corker.

Mark King, vocals and bass for level 42, an early 80's pop/jazz-funk band, was a demon bass player. Find a track called hot water, great virtuoso playing.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 21, 2007 08:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
actually Rush is mentioned in the first post, but Geddy is a God, that's for sure.

I love the first 3 Primus albums, and Les is amazing, I just wish he'd stop writting comedy lyrics. How many times can you hear the same joke? Primus material got too redundant and boring even though it's technically brilliant. Even stuff Les has done with other projects of the song he wrote with Gov't Mule sounds all the same. I did dig his Frog Brigade album because he covered a lot of great tunes. I still listen to my Blind Illusion cd every now and then. I've been reading the Metallica book SO WHAT and Claypool auditioned for the band, but they said he was too good.

--------------------

yawn

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 21, 2007 08:29     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I've been reading the Metallica book SO WHAT and Claypool auditioned for the band, but they said he was too good

That says all you need to know about Metallica, doesn't it? Poor old Jasonic. Good luck Robert - keep your chops under control or you'll get on the boss's nerves and be fired/forced to leave.

I was a huge fan until the black album (which I like). Anything by Metallica I like after that needs to be filed under "Guilty Pleasures"

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan