my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Trivium (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Trivium
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 06, 2007 05:35     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed, but sometimes it's a matter of reaching a compromise between the music you like and the music that will help you up the greasy pole in the business. Only a tiny number of bands are lucky enough to start a new genre and become massive exclusively on their own terms. (NB, talent usually doesn't come into the equation.)

For most bands, it's a matter of choosing between staying totally true, pure and unknown and playing in your friends' living room for the rest of your life or sacrificing some integrity. I speak as someone who did a bit of managing for a band a few years ago.

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted January 06, 2007 08:17     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:
Agreed, but sometimes it's a matter of reaching a compromise between the music you like and the music that will help you up the greasy pole in the business. Only a tiny number of bands are lucky enough to start a new genre and become massive exclusively on their own terms. (NB, talent usually doesn't come into the equation.)

For most bands, it's a matter of choosing between staying totally true, pure and unknown and playing in your friends' living room for the rest of your life or sacrificing some integrity. I speak as someone who did a bit of managing for a band a few years ago.

Very well put.....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 06, 2007 13:02     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome to VVF on my behalf too Hellrider! On Trivium...I usually never pay much attention to other things than the actual music when bands are concerned. Trivium sounds OK, but I'd also describe them as Trivial because they sound like so many other bands in the field currently...in my opinion at least.
They're coming here with Annihilator next May, and they're headlining! Argh. That is wrong IMO. Anyway, let's see if I can listen to them after A has left the stage.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 06, 2007 13:27     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Väinämöinen! (wow, lots of typing ALT+codes in your screen name!)

I agree; I immediately noticed that Trivium weren't the peak of originality - when I heard them for the very first time I thought the radio was playing a new/long lost Metallica song. But they seem to be good musicians, which is rather impressive for such young guys.

Schroeder - I know how you feel. I've had that image of Big Dave in my mind for a long time now. "Peace sells, but who's... QUACK!!"

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 06, 2007 21:10     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw Trivium when they supported Iron Maiden and have to say that I have no time for them. Massively over hyped and, in my opinion, decidedly average at best.

I woudln't recommend seeing them live - you got Celtic Frost with Kreator in support coming in March. Now there's a gig!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted January 07, 2007 00:06     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks Väinämöinen! (wow, lots of typing ALT+codes in your screen name!)

But they seem to be good musicians, which is rather impressive for such young guys.

Haha...Most people here call me "Vain", "Vman" or just "V" for that reason. Sometimes they also use "bastard", "cunt" or "tosser" when referring to me...which goes both ways of course

Anyway, yes, they sure can play. Sort of remind me of Death Angel in their early days, except those guys already knew how to write absolutely brilliant songs when they were 15!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 07, 2007 07:05     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right, V-man it is then! (I'm not going to use any of the other epithets you mention!) I'm sure you have those umlauts on your Finnish keyboard so typing that name is easier for you than for us.

Knickerz - I'll check Kreator and CF out, but I still believe that gigs shouldn't be mutually exclusive - the more you go to, the better (within your budget, of course).

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 07, 2007 08:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KREATOR opening for CELTIC FROST!!!!??? To me something is wrong with that picture. No offense to Frost, but KREATOR have constantly released brilliant albums for years and are Europeis reigning thrash Gods IMHO. Fuck, Kreator have been around since back in the day, and I can't think of too many other bands from back then that have created such a huge catalog of material and haven't had too much down time. Most bands from that started back then have either folded, taken years off without any output, died, or become pitifull. They've released more relevant albums that all the american thrash bands that were around before and after they started. Sure there are other bands I enjoy more than Kreator but Kreator have stayed the course year after year. I know I have more original albums by Kreator than any other thrash act. RAGE is the only other thrash band I can think of that has a track record like this.

This should be a double headliner, at least. Doesn't Kreator have enough fan base to not have to be an opener. To me Kreator opening for CF is like Megadeth opening for Trouble.

Sill a great combination, just strange.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 07, 2007 08:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I could get a free ticket I'd probably go. Trivium is not bad really. But WTF is with that name? What is a trivium?
Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 07, 2007 08:55     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, this is what I remember from my grammar school days (taken from a quick google search):

Trivium - The study of grammar, logic, and rhetoric, which in medieval education formed the basis of a bachelor's degree, as opposed to the quadrivium of arithmetic, astronomy, geometry, and music, which formed the basis of a master's degree.

Perhaps they should have called themselves Quadrivium to include music...

--------------------

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted January 08, 2007 14:31     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Knickerz - I'll check Kreator and CF out, but I still believe that gigs shouldn't be mutually exclusive - the more you go to, the better (within your budget, of course).

Couldn't agree more, just mentioned the CF/Kreator gig as a must-see. There's Deicide next week over here too Bad news is I can't go, skint after yule excess

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 08, 2007 14:45     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Deicide WITHOUT Glen Benton... Not sure about that.

I've bought my ticket to Trivium. There was a crowd of Bullet For My Valentine fans queueing at the Apollo already at 4:30 pm (the show started at 7:30). I was impressed by their dedication. They were all very young, and wore black and had a lot of piercings - but they were very nice to me when I asked for some info. Perhaps they thought I might be their friends' mother

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 08, 2007 22:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course we're gonna want a full report of your TrivExperience.....I already like your description of the fans buying tix...what do you brits call them? Punters???
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 08, 2007 23:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Trivium blows.

--------------------

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 09, 2007 15:15     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your opinions about Trivium seem to be split right down the middle between them being crap and them being all right. I'll be able to tell you which camp I'm in after April 25th.

Mez, punters are usually more like "customers" than fans. You can be a punter in pubs and shops as well as in music venues. It can also simply mean "the public". At least that's how I use the word.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 09, 2007 17:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought a punter was the guy who kicked the ball on 4th down

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 09, 2007 19:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
April 25th????????????????

Man, this is gonna be one long thread! I was thinking you were going to this show tomorrow night or something.

I got the term 'punter' from Terrorizer magazine. They use it quite frequently and in the context it sounded pretty demeaning.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted January 09, 2007 20:38     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I thought a punter was the guy who kicked the ball on 4th down

haha

Oh and Mez, that's April 25th 2008!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 10, 2007 06:33     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL!! Mez, honey, we're talking about London - if you don't buy a ticket 4 months in advance you won't find a decent seat, no matter what it is you're buying it for. Many seats had already been taken and I didn't have that much choice, even if I did get a good one in the end.

Don't worry, I'll let this thread die when none of us has anything left to say, and start a new one in April

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 10, 2007 12:03     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Deicide WITHOUT Glen Benton... Not sure about that.

You mean without the Hoffman brothers, right?

I wonder what they're doing nowadays anyway? I remember once reading an interview back from the self-titled days, and they were asked what they would be doing if they weren't in Deicide...and each responded "I'd be dead", so maybe they're dead then???

I'd much rather believe that they're just sitting around taking steroids and shooting guns.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 10, 2007 12:21     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, yes, I agree... can Deicide without Benton and without the Hoffmans be called Deicide at all? I mean, the guy who's fronting isn't the band's new singer, just a temporary replacement. Honestly, my mind boggles.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 10, 2007 12:22     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last I heard about the Hoffman brothers they were shooting steroids and taking guns!

I know, lame, sue me

--------------------

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 11, 2007 06:32     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
KREATOR opening for CELTIC FROST!!!!???

Schroeder, I found this on Blabbermouth - apparently Kreator is co-headlining with CF. I hope it makes you feel better!

quote:
CELTIC FROST And KREATOR Announce Support Acts For Tour - Jan. 11, 2007

CELTIC FROST and KREATOR have announced the support bands for their co-headlining tour of Europe. Personally picked by both bands, Dutch thrashers LEGION OF THE DAMNED will be taking over the special-guest slot until March 29 and Swedish black metal act WATAIN will be opening the touring package until then. Afterwards WATAIN will climb to the special-guest position.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 11, 2007 17:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you HD, now I'll finally be able to sleep knowing that the world of metal is not as fucked up as I thought it was a few days ago.

--------------------

yawn

Nico
VoivodFan
Member # 567

posted January 14, 2007 11:18     Profile for Nico   Email Nico     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to kinda like them when ascendancy went out...but they were too similar to all the nu metal-metalcore bands out there....
now they are trying to get a bigger audience by merely making their sound look like metallica (and their guitars are an obvious tribute to darrel).
I listened to the new cd and I simply don't like it, plus rock stations kept playing that horrible single "anthem",and I hated it even more.
And now, ANNIHILATOR is gonna support their tour!!
This is so sad...storic thrash bands that support the newcomers, it's an upsidedown world!!!!
Anyway, I'll have to give some money to trivium in order to see mr. waters...

--------------------

PAIN MAKES ME STRONGER EVERYDAY

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan