my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Van Der Graaf Generator

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Van Der Graaf Generator
L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted December 26, 2006 03:13     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They are crazy and coherent at the same time and they could be also intense and strutured. Their music is amazing to ear but imagine if they had guitar in their music... (Except for Aerosol Grey Machine album)

Van Der Graaf Generator is a real good band but they are probably made for performing without guitar and even in 2006.
But now, look at one of their best performance, live in Belgium, for a TV concert in a studio where they played the full Pawn Heart album in 3 parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9DouGSXW8&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znHIId9HaVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1wfmTiA94&mode=related&search=

|  IP: Logged
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 27, 2006 10:05     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wonderful performance. Thanx for the link!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 01, 2007 05:38     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seriously... I will never understand how anyone can stand to listen to that horrid fucking band for a second, let alone a minute.

And no, I will not apologize regarding my opinion, for it is CORRECT.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted January 01, 2007 15:19     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I will never understand how anyone can stand to listen to that horrid fucking band for a second, let alone a minute.

Ah, but there's one song by them that I think could win over anyone ...It's off the Godbluff album, I *think* it's "Scorched Earth" though it could be one of the other songs. I would count the main riff and its variations as among the finest in all of prog-rock-dom.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 01, 2007 15:58     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any song of the 'Godbluff' album is killer, nowadays I even prefer that album over 'Pawn Hearts'.

And how can anyone ever HATE VDGG?

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted January 01, 2007 18:47     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anything:
Ah, but there's one song by them that I think could win over anyone ...It's off the Godbluff album, I *think* it's "Scorched Earth" though it could be one of the other songs. I would count the main riff and its variations as among the finest in all of prog-rock-dom.

I'm sure I've given that album a chance in the past, but I will give that ONE song a try, ONE last time.

quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
And how can anyone ever HATE VDGG?

I am a huge, lifelong fan of teh Prog Rock, yet I am definitely not alone in my sentiments regarding VDGG. (even amongst other prog fanatics)

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 01, 2007 22:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta agree with Tang on this one... Y'all know I love prog but VGG never sat well with these ears. I purchsed a comp "First Generations 69-71" cd a long time ago, and everytime I try to listen to it, it does nothing for me.... except annoy me

--------------------

yawn

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted January 01, 2007 23:29     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tag and Shroeder have no fun to listen to VDGG but they probably like some other bands that a VDGG fan could consider to be sucks. All taste are in nature...
We couldn't always appreciate the same thing. Angelrat, you're right in your comments. PAwn Heart is awesome but I don't think that all VDGG album are good.
But their best album are certainly Aerosol Grey Machine and Pawn Heart.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 03, 2007 08:56     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, they're Away's favorite band, so they most be good...
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted January 04, 2007 05:35     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They're my fave band too; By a mile!

Saw them 3 times in '05 and I have my tickets for their return to Liverpool as a three piece in May- and I cannot wait.

But peter hammill's voice is something people can love or hate. All my band hate it though.

The scorched earth riffs are amazing, I used to cover it - but no one else in the band could play it right ha ha

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted January 04, 2007 06:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a couple Hammil cds and a live boot. I enjoy his solo material more than VDGG. Maybe I just need a different enviroment to listen to the album in, instead of at work where I don't really get to "listen". I do dispise that Canterbury prog sound for the most part (not say VDGG is lumped into this catagory. It's just that so many "so called prog bands imitate this style and I don't consider carbon copies to be "progressing" nor do I consider progressive bands who sound the same on their 5th album as they did on their 1st to be "progressive".

Bottom line is, I'll dig a bit deeper into VDGG with the suggestions listed here. I might be missing something I would enjoy, especialy since some of the people here that like VDGG like other bands that I do.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted January 08, 2007 03:34     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Seriously... I will never understand how anyone can stand to listen to that horrid fucking band for a second, let alone a minute.

HAHA you can be so crude at times, man.

Let's all listen to Prince And I mean this, Bambi is some hard shit

--------------------

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted January 08, 2007 08:20     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Their website is FULL of great infos on this underrated band!
VDGG

Gotta love this band.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 08, 2007 14:07     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
You know, they're Away's favorite band, so they most be good...

But of course

--------------------

String em up

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan