my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » RRROOOAAARRR! acetate found and on eBay!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RRROOOAAARRR! acetate found and on eBay!
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted December 23, 2006 12:14     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=6 4273

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 23, 2006 16:10     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's the big deal about acetate? I've never found out why some collectors dig it so much.
jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted December 23, 2006 16:15     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's the rarity, wich the collectors dig, innit ?

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 23, 2006 17:07     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe... "jorge doggy". That's cute... where's "tania kitty"?
Broken Tiny
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 978

posted December 23, 2006 18:56     Profile for Broken Tiny   Email Broken Tiny     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey All,
Looks pretty cool I think. Here's the direct link to the ebay page if you're interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Voivod-Rrroooaaarrr-Acetate-LP-1986-Unique-Copy-Rare_W0QQitemZ180066327303QQihZ008QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers
B.T

--------------------

Electric Shock through you!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 23, 2006 19:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna be really interested to see how much the seller gets for this one. Highly collectable piece of history here!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 23, 2006 21:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna keep my eye on it!!!! I wonder what his reserve price is? I wonder if it will go for as much as that Vevet Undergound went for last week!!!! I consider RRROOOAAARRR much more important in music history than anything Lou Reed put out

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 24, 2006 07:37     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
What's the big deal about acetate? I've never found out why some collectors dig it so much.

I would think because you'd own something that was a part of the actual recording process..something the public never had access to...making it a very unique item... the transition piece between recording and vinyl.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 24, 2006 15:02     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So the acetate is somewhat the first actual transfer of music onto something that plays? Why is it transfered onto acetate and not vinyl the first time? Or is acetate vinyl? I NEED TO KNOW!!!

--------------------

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted December 26, 2006 20:45     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The acetates are made for a final "ok" from the band and label people involved in the release ,before creating the die that's going to press all the vinyls. (well, that's how i remember it anyway)

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted December 26, 2006 20:51     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
An acetate is a transitional stage between the master tape and the finished vinyl record
Originally acetates were used for home recording in the days before tape recorders. A machine actually cuts the grooves into the acetate like a lathe. This can be computerised, or done manually by the engineer.

The acetate is used to assess whether the music has been successfully transferred to disc. It is checked by the sound engineer. There may be only one copy made of a particular recording, sometimes more are cut and sent to the studio and band members for approval.
The acetate comes before making the master, and allows the sound to be checked without great expense. Sometimes DJs and remixers will get acetates cut in order to have an exclusive mix to play out!
It is unusual for more than a dozen to be manufactured, so from the collector's point of view an acetate is a rare find indeed! If the recording is rejected the acetate may be the only record that survives. The rejected cut may simply be poor quality, however the artist may have opted to use a different take of the song, if so, the acetate becomes much more precious.

from here :http://www.moremusic.co.uk/links/features/acetate.htm

there you go.

--------------------

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted December 30, 2006 17:08     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How is this any different than a testpressing? I can see that they went through the trouble to type out a label for it, so it DOES seem at least a little different, they should post the matrix so we can find outif it's made with the same plates as the German pressing... I have a zillion testpresses, no big deal there.

All the best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 31, 2006 03:11     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
How is this any different than a testpressing?

I was wondering the same thing...

I know for a fact that when my band Woodrot www.myspace.com/woodrot did a 7-inch (sorry, I couldn't resist the promotion, haha!!) we got a test pressing back before we finally agreed on a thousand copies...seems like the same scenario to me.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 31, 2006 08:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, final bid was $76.01 and the reserve was not met, so nobody gets it unless the seller desides to let it go for that. If it was Killing Tech, Dim Hatross, Nothingface, Outer Limits, or Angel Rat I would have definitley been bidding, but since rrroooaaarrr isn't one of my favs I couldn't justify putting out the big bucks.

--------------------

yawn

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted January 02, 2007 14:29     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not my favourite either, but I'm quite surprised it didn't get more than that.

--------------------

String em up

Hellrider
VoivodFan
Member # 980

posted January 02, 2007 14:55     Profile for Hellrider   Email Hellrider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On a different note, I've still got a copy of Nothingface on original cassette tape and I'm holding on to it, if only for its sentimental value

--------------------

"Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of bastards." - R. A. Dickson

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted January 02, 2007 18:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:
On a different note, I've still got a copy of Nothingface on original cassette tape and I'm holding on to it, if only for its sentimental value

Boy, I wish I still had mine. I loved how you could pull out all that amazing artwork that kept going and going....

Welcome Hellrider!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted January 03, 2007 08:53     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellrider:

Still have it too! But the cover is used...

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted January 03, 2007 09:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noise mangled the living fuck outta Nothingface in Europe.... thank god i have the MCA cd version, with all the goodies.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted January 03, 2007 16:53     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck Noise. I gave away my 'Nothingface' cd, it only had adds in the booklet and none of the other artwork. I only have the Noise vinyl pressing now, which at least has the other paintings and bandphoto and credits and stuff. No lyrics though...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan