my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Help me figure out what song this is!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me figure out what song this is!
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 16, 2006 15:34     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Voivod fans!
Please download this song clip and help me figure out what it is. I think it could be Nektar, or Emerson Lake and Palmer, but I don't remember...
I'm sure someone here will be able to help me hunt it down, what with your diverse metal and prog tastes.
http://download.yousendit.com/43F039162EF5963F

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 17, 2006 05:17     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
what with your diverse metal and prog tastes.

ok, you english cigarette! (fag)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 17, 2006 07:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I keep getting "system is busy" and can't cownload the song, so I can't help ya... yet.

What are some of the lyrics, maybe we can ID it without listening to it.

--------------------

yawn

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 17, 2006 17:43     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems to be working now and is only 388K (it's a 14 second sample). Sadly, I only have this 14 second clip of the song left so I don't know if there are any lyrics. Anyone know of any magic databases people have made where they can upload clips and figure out what song it is? They'll have those in a few years, I bet...

I don't think it's ELP because there's an electric guitar in it. But, what is it??? Not King Crimson I'm pretty sure, not ELP, hmm...

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 17, 2006 18:18     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still doesn't work for me. Scheisse-site.

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 17, 2006 18:57     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shoot, hmm, try this:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DEGKSHTY

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 17, 2006 20:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like Camel to me. You should ask XD. He's the 70's Prog king.

Maybe King Crimson as well?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 17, 2006 20:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I now don't think its Camel. My bet is that its early Crimson. Schroeder should answer this one.
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 17, 2006 21:34     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure this riff is at the very beginning of the song, if that helps anyone. And it repeats later on. And strings come in later (either real or Mellotron). Gosh, I'll have to check some of my early King Crimson, for some reason I thought this wasn't KC, but now that you mention it, it might be...it's not off of Red or anything past Red, and not on Lark's Tongue in Aspic I'm pretty sure, if it is indeed KC...hmm...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 17, 2006 21:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That guitar is very Frippian.........
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 17, 2006 22:42     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you've never heard Camel you should really check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl1DQxdd5Ew&mode=related&search=

I actually prefer them to Crimson.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 18, 2006 18:06     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not KC, not ELP, not Camel, not Nektar...

The combination of heavy guitar and organ remind of German bands like Eloy or Jane, but still I'm not sure...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 18, 2006 19:53     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm...I was listening to ELP, maybe the Nice, Mountain, and Rainbow along the time I found this song. I don't know if that helps. Isn't this mysterious? $10 to anyone who can figure it out! I kind of think maybe the band isn't terribly obscure, otherwise I probably would have thought "wow how obscure" and remembered what it was???
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 19, 2006 06:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not Crimson, or any band I know.
Sorry

--------------------

yawn

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 19, 2006 11:53     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, you're my hero Soft Machine, truly! Where did you post your thread in progarchives, I have a whole parallel thread there too with the same title "Help me figure out this song?" but no one who responded yet could figure it out? Do I owe you $10 or do you want to split the bounty 50/50 with the progarchives person who figured it out yet! There were some pretty interesting suggestions, like post-Red King Crimson (highly unlikely given the organ and production values) and LTE (had to look that one up). Seriously, I was begining to feel like I was in Memento or a Philip K. Dick book!
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 19, 2006 13:16     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, yes, the song is called "April '73"
And it's on their myspace page!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=133337227

Thx for all the help!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 19, 2006 16:17     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now you can finally get on with your life....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 19, 2006 17:32     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never heard of this band... but I really like this stuff!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan