my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What is the Most Impressive music For you ??? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: What is the Most Impressive music For you ???
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted December 13, 2006 10:53     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Based on this previous weekends gigs, please check out:
"Negative Approach" http://www.tgrec.com/bands/band.php?id=57

The most aggressive hardcore band I've witnessed.

"The Notekillers" http://www.myspace.com/notekillers

Again, amazing live band. Musically to me it sounds like what happens to a Crimson song after 'the' Crimson have already brought it to crescendo. They seem to take a riff, pummel it for a few minutes and then break its neck.

*oh, and we all missed these first time around, it's Thurston Moore who rivived them from obscurity.

|  IP: Logged
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted December 13, 2006 11:38     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ascension - JOHN COLTRANE

Nothing to add.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted December 13, 2006 13:34     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've loved Ennio Morricone's music ever since I was 4 years old or so and I picked up a few of his CD's a while back, absolutely amazing. He has always been one of my favourite composers. Are any of you into his music?
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 13, 2006 15:18     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, how could I forget Zappa!

Listened to "One Size Fits All" on my way to work, and ol'Frank still impresses me like no other musician. I miss him.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 13, 2006 19:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got to be in the right mood to listen to Zappa, but the guy was certainly a musical genius.

NP: Notekillers... interesting stuff here, very good description you gave Mothman. I think I need to be their "friend"

--------------------

yawn

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted December 14, 2006 02:17     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm agree with a lot of your replies.

Like Paul and Shargraves said :
THRASH from the eigthees or classic thrash; Exodus, Destruction, Mercyful Fate, first and last albums of Celtic Frost, Anvil but overall Voivöd for their unique style and sound. But at the same time, what is makes a big impression on me is what is sound strange or that could be very heavy or trash, but not necesserly classified has pure metal. Or when a band record an album where all songs are totally different from the begginning to the end.

Frank Zappa, Van der Graaf Generator, the album Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Gentle Giant, the first live album of Grand Funk Railroad, Amboy Dukes, two first of Blue Cheer, Clutch, Motorhead of the 90's, latest from Venom, the album Raw Power from Stooges, the Chess Sound that many bands in the sixties wanted to reproduce; Yardbirds, The Who, Animals. Also Thin Lizzy, particularly the album Vagabonds of the Western World, Black Sabbath, Captain Beyond, Judas Priest, Rose Tattoo, ACDC with Bon Scott only, Dread Zeppelin, Beatallica, MC5, Big Brother, Iron Maiden with Paul Dianno.

Musicians: Frank Zappa, Piggy, Away, Snake, Blacky, Robert Fripp, Jimmy Page, Ian Paice, Gary Holt, Lipps, Peter Hammill, Hendrix, Lemmy, Phil Lynott, Keit Moon, John Entwistle, Tommy Iommi, Ozzy, Randy Roads, Tommy Bolin, John Lord, Steve Howe, Criss Squire, Syd Barrett, Robert Wyatt, Vincent Crane, Guy Evans, Hugh Banton, Ulrich Roth.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted December 14, 2006 11:59     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0bcZjnjaM

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted December 14, 2006 15:41     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0bcZjnjaM

Lars Johan Yngwie Lannerbäck
He changed it to Yngwie Malmsteen. HE's s DIVA....... He cannot remember to speak swedish seems like he's fogotten every world! jerk

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 18, 2006 09:41     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the Bad Brains ! ! !

and oh so motherfuckin'

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 18, 2006 18:20     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Zappa, Voivod, Killing Joke, King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Black Sabbath, Celtic Frost, more Zappa...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted December 20, 2006 02:02     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first 1:00. Or 2:00. or 3:00. or 4:00 of Yes' Close to the Edge. I just discovered this for myself. Heck, the first riff after the ambient keyboards, from :56-1:13...then the little solo thing from 1:13-1:30+...then that f*cking crazy slidy riff at 2:21, then the insane solo from there starting at 2:30, and on and on--and the insane "Ahh!"s they just throw in there like it's nothing...WTF!!!!!!!!!! Then that beautiful, beautiful piece from 2:58 on...

This to me is the most fantastic and impossible thing ever. It's like, you could have (sacriligious statement here!) all of Voivod's career inexplicably mixed with all of the Minutemen and King Crimson and Don Caballero and Mahavishnu Orchestra and countless other strains of music, whole swaths of bands and genres and subgenres comprehensively represented in, like, FOUR F*CKING MINUTES OF MUSIC! Even the first :58 or so of ambient keyboard music, you could spawn endless electronic music genres just from that intro!!! Why would I ever need to listen to some sort of Brian Eno or Tangerine Dream or 808 State or Orb when they just sound like watered down versions of that beautiful ambient keyboard with f*cking waterfalls and singing birds and everything all lush and relaxing and ambient and sh*t like, I've heard 100 jungle songs sampling stuff like this and the Orb's Orbus Terrarus just sounds like this going on for 48 minutes...

Hyperbole or truth? I THINK TRUTH!!!!!! But that's just humble opinion ;o

Even the crazy strummy guitar during the sing songy more normal parts starting at 2:58 or so are stellar. Just f*cking stellar. WTF???? Then that crazy ass bass line and the crazy guitar starting at 6:09, you could birth every no-wave/new-wave/synth-pop/disco band from that riff alone. WTF???? Gang of Four what??? Oh man, they've even got Zeuhl music covered comprehensively starting at 14:21...

Am I just in a mood, or is this like the best 4:00 of music ever, you really could break out any 10, 20 seconds of this and it could represent a whole genre/sub-genre/body of work of another artist?

Hee hee hee

And that first riff? Pure genius, pure genius. Reminds me of what I love of the intro to Jack Luminous. Man, MAYBE THIS IS WHAT VOIVOD was trying to do with Jack Luminous, when there were like, f*ck, let's just fit 10 albums worth or another band's entire worth of music in, in like, 18 f*cking minutes

As you can see I'm definitely getting a prog-overdose this week and classes are out for a week woo-hoo!!!!

Can anyone accurately transcribe that first riff, I saw one attempt on the internet and don't think it's quite right, it sounds to me like he's playing at least two notes/chords in a few parts and not just single notes, that's why it sounds so good and tricky and crazy-like and like, the best prog or metal thing ever made on guitar...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 20, 2006 06:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Close To The Edge is amazing, but I think Relayer really pushes YES into an area they never were in before or after. Relayer reminds me of Yes trying to be King Crimson. The one thing that I tire of after all these years of being a Yes fan, is Anderson's fairy vocal delivery. It would be cool to hear someone like Wetton sing some classic Yes masterpeices. I know Anderson's voice is part of Yes's sound, but I'd like to hear a bit more "balls" or "edge" to some of the songsa to give them more power.

Now I gotta crank up Close To The Edge for my 45 minute drive to work... thanks

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 20, 2006 07:53     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG, I check Voivodfan this morning and what do I see? An essay on my favorite album of all time, Close to the Edge!

I totally agree with everything that you say, that opening solo is one of my favorite Steve Howe solo.

About the opening riff, I believe it's a guitar harmony (there's two guitars) which gives that weird impression. You can also see how Steve Howe influenced Piggy big time.

Okay, here's my take (from memory, I don't have a guitar in hand, so I may be wrong):

-12-13--------------------------
--------------------------------
-------9-10---------------9-10--
--------------------------------
-------------7-8-----7-8--------
-----------------0-1------------ (repeat)

Also you haven't talked about Squire's totally crazy bassline, during Howe's solo. I mean WTF?? Is that an uncredited Blacky in a time warp? Sounds like a blower, eats like a grinder... I bought myself a bass because of that bassline!

And about "Relayer", I think it's the most voivodesque album of Yes. The battle part of "Gates of Delirium" sounds like it could have belonged on Hatröss...

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted December 20, 2006 09:11     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sh*t...haha! Excellent reading this early morn', what with snow on the ground here...miraculous all on its own. Then! I don't even have any Yes in my collection, but I want some now. Great breakdown Anything. I could see you jumping round, hands/arms gesturing all in a tizzy.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 20, 2006 22:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AHHHHH... The morning drive to work was an audio delight with Close To The Edge remastered cd blasting all the way. Damn fine piece of work, damn fine. Thanks again for the critique.
I think tomorrow I'll awaken the folks on the road with Relayer. (of corse if i was really going to "awaken" them with YES i would have to play 'going for the one')

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 21, 2006 07:54     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I think tomorrow I'll awaken the folks on the road with Relayer. (of corse if i was really going to "awaken" them with YES i would have to play 'going for the one')

Arf arf arf, geeky Yes joke.

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted December 25, 2006 17:08     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Look at this rare video and song(for Yes fans)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jn_aus63GE

Enjoy!

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted December 25, 2006 17:19     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All real Prog-Rock fans must see this amazing video from one of the greatest band of all times. Awesome !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUW4WfjaI2g

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted January 08, 2007 09:51     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ate some shrooms before a Yes concert in '84. alls i remember is that they all looked like Steve Martin!
Luna and I saw them a couple of years ago, sober i might add, and they all looked like characters from Lord of the Rings! Musically, that show kicked some arse! I was impressed. This is a classic rock town and i think most people there didn't get the freak out musicality they displayed. GodDamn, they were great! I don't know what songs they played cus i don't own any Yes and the only stuff I know is what I hear on the radio, but there were a few songs that were all over the musical map.
Must add some Yes to my collection.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan