my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Megadeth - What happened?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Megadeth - What happened?
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted November 29, 2006 12:43     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sure that I should know, what with Ellefson and Mustaine being like the Lennon and McCartney of thrash, but I don't...

I lost touch with the band completely when 'that album with the baby washing line' came out and I thought it was rubbish.

I've only just caught up with the band via "The System has Failed"; it's allright, but I miss Ellefson.

So what happened to that partnership then?
Both websites are very quiet on the matter.
It's a shame musically if nowt else.

|  IP: Logged
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 29, 2006 14:56     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Cryptic Writings, even more than anything else after Peace Sells. Give it a try, see what you think. About Ellefson...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was kicked out because he demanded money from Mustaine, claiming that he hadn't received as large a share of merch profits as he should have. Go figure.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 29, 2006 16:36     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth_Mothman:

I lost touch with the band completely when 'that album with the baby washing line' came out and I thought it was rubbish.

I LOVE Youthanasia. All good songs. Lot of personal touch in the songs, not not very common in heavy metal music.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 29, 2006 17:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jr was given the boot for thinking Megadave owed him for some of the songs he helped write. Dave tried settling out of court but Jr wanted to much money and was being a dick about things so Dave let him go. I believe the courts sided with Mustaine. Jr was dumb for biting the hand that fed him. Megadeth has always been Mustaine, and he's proven he can do the band with anyone. He's replaced everyone in the band a few times and it still sounds like Megadeth.

To compare Mustaine & Ellefson to the partnership that Lennon & McCartney had or Tyler & Perry, Jagger & Richards or any other famous writting duo is way off base IMHO... Dave has never needed help writting great metal tunes. Besides, where's Jr now? In some band going nowhere, doing nothing new. Megadeth will always be Mustaine & Comapany.

--------------------

yawn

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted November 30, 2006 04:54     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, everyone.

I will seek out the albums I've missed -
I'd forgotten how much I liked them till yesterday, when I listened to "RiP" again for the first time in years.

quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
...To compare Mustaine & Ellefson to the partnership that Lennon & McCartney had or Tyler & Perry, Jagger & Richards or any other famous writting duo is way off base IMHO...

Yes, yes, I know. Sorry, I had my tongue in my cheek when I wrote it. There's clearly no comparison in the songwriting/bandmate stakes. I was just thinking how stable that relationship seemed and being glib with it...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 30, 2006 06:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was bummed when Jr wasn't in the band either since he was the only one from the beginning, but let's face it, Megadeth certainly hasn't suffered any without him.

I'm sure Mustaine was hurt by Jr's actions... that's rock n roll.

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 30, 2006 07:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And I thought KISS took the wilful piss.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted November 30, 2006 07:13     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
...Megadeth certainly hasn't suffered any without him...

'tis true. I've been listening to them all day and the highlight of his playing to me still sounds like "RiP", it sounds of blurs out after that...

quote:

I'm sure Mustaine was hurt by Jr's actions... that's rock n roll.[/QB]

I'm sure.
It's just so tacky, ending up in the courts like that. "Procul Harem" are the latest to
sue each other...

I mean, it could have been much worse for Ellefson: he could have been part of the "Magic Band", locked in a cupboard for hours, by Beefheart, and forced to listen to one song over and over again till he 'got it'.

...which prompts the question, "which band have done something across their members most worthy of a lawsuit?"

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted November 30, 2006 07:30     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
And I thought KISS took the wilful piss.

how about:

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted November 30, 2006 08:03     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
!!!!!!
Where can I buy these????

--------------------

String em up

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted December 01, 2006 10:34     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone getting a KISS coffin? Truly they'd merchandise their own droppings if they could get the KISS logo to stop sliding off.

About megadeth - I too fell out with them musically for many years BUT - got their live DVD - rude awakening and thought it was fantastic. I highly recommend it. Holy wars is ferocious on it, and stuff on albums that sounds like tripe - comes over really good live. like 1000 times goodbye - with that godawful bint on the telephone

(I hate it when bands put fx on tracks like that)

(except the car crash at the end of detroit rock city of course - thats been one of my favourite soudns since I was about 6!)

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 01, 2006 18:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"(I hate it when bands put fx on tracks like that)"

Not a fan of Pink Floyd I gather.

I love bands that create a surreal listening experience with sounds, voice, textures, etc. If it's done right it's truely mind blowing. Kevin Moore (ex keyboardist from Dream Theater) is amazing when it comes todoing stuff like that. His solo releases and Chroma Key albums are chock-full of layers and sounds that just make it more interesting to listen to.

I've been a Megadeth fan from the first time I heard a demo of Killing is My Buisness... and while Mustaine has had a few crap tunes along the way, he's been pretty consistant with releasing good metal. I consider the RISK album a total mistake. He's tried some different things along the way, some worked some didn't but I'm always at the store on release day when a new Megadeth album gets released, and I'm looking forward to the new album to hear what he's up to now, especially since he has a completely new band. The new song sounds very promising.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 01, 2006 22:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really liked that song 'Breadline'...if thats the right name.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 01, 2006 22:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I really liked that song 'Breadline'...if thats the right name.

That is indeed the correct title I didn't like that one as much but the more I listened to the lyrics the more I liked it. Not a brutal thrasher but a damn good tune no less with a deep message. I always thought Megadave was a way better lyricist and singer than Jamez.. and he can play circles around Kirk, with a much better style. I think he learn a lot from Poland, not that he was some kinda hack before meeting Chris, but I think he developed a jazzier thrash feel to his playing after Poland enter his life. Dave licks are more interesting than anything Metallica laid down after he left.

--------------------

yawn

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted December 04, 2006 07:48     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As to FX on songs - Pink floyd are pretty good - but all those telephones ringing - argh - its embarrasing to be caught listening to that bit.

Like 1000 times goodbye - those phone call bits are poo.

Good atmospheric FX can lift a track - but in the wrong hands - and telephone calls - they are often excruciating!

Cher on Gene simmons solo album - although that is admittedly supposed to cheesy.

Isnt it? I just remembered gene doesn't get irony!

MegaDave's riffs are usually very creative - far better than metallicas I agree. and his solos used to be amazing. (although he relies on a few stock licks now - its still good)

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 04, 2006 08:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably the most boring musical performance on tape I ever watched was Megadeth's 'Rude Awakening'. I bought it cause I thought it had some vintage footage on it. WRONG. Its probably the last version of the group that Ellefson was involved with. Mustaine and his gunslingers were so polished that I believe several times during the show they were playing with their eyes closed. And not just because they could do it but because they were actually asleep. Did rather enjoy the sappy interview interludes with the band...listening to the members talking about how great the band was and how everything was awesome!! Of course a month later the entire band had disintegrated.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 04, 2006 11:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do agree some of the "talking bits" in the Megadeth tunes are too cheesey for their own good.

Mez, you are a tough guy to please

--------------------

yawn

St. Mike
VoivodFan
Member # 570

posted December 04, 2006 15:44     Profile for St. Mike   Email St. Mike     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Killing, Peace sells, So far..,

I like the albums when the musicians were fucked up on drugs and alcohol best! Yeah. Does anyone know of a band that got better after they got sober? Just wondering..

Hey wait, is that Kerry King on guitar back in the day?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkRGEFyc-Q

St.
Stay Morbid

--------------------

ARE YOU MORBID?

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted December 04, 2006 16:15     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by St. Mike:
Killing, Peace sells, So far..,

I like the albums when the musicians were fucked up on drugs and alcohol best! Yeah. Does anyone know of a band that got better after they got sober? Just wondering..

I couldn't agree more, in the case of Megadeth

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 04, 2006 20:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I do agree some of the "talking bits" in the Megadeth tunes are too cheesey for their own good.

Mez, you are a tough guy to please

Whoahhhhhhhhh....Dave, man, I was way off here. I'm watching 'Rude' right now and this band is playing with plenty of fire. Maybe I was asleep when i was watching it the first time??? Jeezz...This is damn good. I think I was just miffed cause I was under the impression that this was old concert footage for some reason. My fault for not reading the back of the case!

The interview parts in front of the dead aircraft are still cheesy though....

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 05, 2006 06:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK Mez, now I don't know if you're being serious of just joking?!?!? I do like Rude Awakening.

I agree that some of the releases after Dave sobered up lacked what the drug indused Dave had, and Risk is almost a total piece of shit, but I think he has gotten back to the heavy jazzy thrash style that made Megadeth so unique.
I also agree some of his talking parts do get cheesey after hearing them a few times, but I can live with that.

Have y'all heard of MD45, the side project with Mustaine and Lee Ving, of FEAR? They released a killer cd titled The Craving, which is definitley worth getting. It has a more hardcore feel mixed with a Megadeth vibe. When Dave remastered and extended the album he did all the vocals which makes both cd worthy of adding to your collection. Dave said that many of his fans wanted to hear the album with him on vocals so when he was remastering his catalog he redid MD45 also. Kick ass album and I enjoy it a lot more than the Megadeth albums that were released around that time.

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 05, 2006 08:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, dead serious, just finished 'Rude'...I don't know what my problem was the first time I watched it but that was a fucking great show. Like I said I think it was just that I was expecting an older version of the band than this one but those guys really did well...
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted December 05, 2006 09:38     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(Mezcal, you're right about "Lightning Bolt" - I saw them at the ATP festival and they lived up their name. Also try "Wolf Eyes" - now defunct I think?)

It's been wierd, reaquainting myself with the band after all this time, as "The System has Failed" sounds exactly like I'd still want them to, a better synthesis between the more melodic style favoured recently and their fantastic sound. To me, still the best guitar players amongst the "mighty handfull" or whatever that generation of old masters are known as.

Having said that, I'm finding "Risk" very hard to listen to at all, and some of Dave's singing on "Cryptic" doesn't convince me either.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 05, 2006 17:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Mustaine being the best guitarist from the main thrashers that started the scene. Rob from Death Angel is a fuckin God, but they came around a few years after the Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth,Exodus, thrash explosion started.

The remastered version of Crypic Writtings has a bonus track titled BULLPRICK which is worth the price of the cd alone.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted December 12, 2006 07:51     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just learned by accident that Vinnie Colaiuta (ex-Zappa drummer and session musician, and one of the BEST FUCKING DRUMMER IN THE WORLD) plays on "The System Has Failed"! I did not know that! (Maybe I should have posted that in the "Did you know" thread...). Who knew...

Anyway, this calls for some OMG!!!111 ROTFL LOL INTERNET!!111111

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan