my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Home recording problem - advice/help needed

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home recording problem - advice/help needed
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted November 25, 2006 22:26     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what would cause a recorded guitar track to play back faster than it was recorded? I recorded a drum track and then recorded a guitar track in time with that drum track - when I play the tracks together, the guitar track is faster and goes out of sync with the drum track almost immediately. The key is pitched up almost a whole step, to give you an idea of how sped up the playback on the guitar track is. My sampling rate is 44100 Hz which matches my system's sound settings. It's fucking completely frustrating. Any ideas what's up with this? I am no so smrts with the compooters sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 26, 2006 04:15     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue, I've never had a problem using the old and reliable meat & potatoes version: Analog tracking!

Let me rephrase that though....I am currently using ADAT's, so I am in the "digital" age afterall!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 26, 2006 05:02     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Assuming this is recorded onto a PC - check your recording and playback bitrate/frequency is the same (i.e. 16bit or 24bit, 44,000htz or 48,000htz).

Sounds like it could possibly be that you're recording at 44,000 and playing back at 48,000 - this doesn't affect MIDI which is why your drums sound the same (assuming its a drum machine/samples).

If you record Doom Metal at 44,000htz and play back at 33,000 it sounds fucking awesome.

Give us a brief run down of what gear you're using (soundcard, PC, music software etc) and we'll sort this fukr oot.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted November 27, 2006 15:36     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Assuming this is recorded onto a PC - check your recording and playback bitrate/frequency is the same (i.e. 16bit or 24bit, 44,000htz or 48,000htz).

Sounds like it could possibly be that you're recording at 44,000 and playing back at 48,000 - this doesn't affect MIDI which is why your drums sound the same (assuming its a drum machine/samples).

If you record Doom Metal at 44,000htz and play back at 33,000 it sounds fucking awesome.

Give us a brief run down of what gear you're using (soundcard, PC, music software etc) and we'll sort this fukr oot.

Turns out that the problem went away after I rebooted.

Thanks for the insights, though.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 27, 2006 15:42     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh fuck, the old 'turn it off/turn it on again' chestnut! solves 99.99% of all IT problems. Should have known. Sorry.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 28, 2006 08:31     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does that mean that if my recorded performance sucks, I can reboot my computer and it will sound awesome after that?

Hmm, maybe that's the secret to most hit music these days...

Producer: "Ok, Ashley, don't worry, I'll reboot the computer, now, and it will sound juuuust fine..."

Ashley: "O'rly?"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted November 28, 2006 09:25     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey:
Turns out that the problem went away after I rebooted.

I laughed out loud!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan