my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » For those of us who do tunes

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For those of us who do tunes
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 10, 2006 06:12     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know this ought to be on the Experiment folder but no one looks in there...

Most of us are of an age where we can remember the excellent mp3.com. Millions of unsigned shitty-bands and about 12 good ones! For me and my fellow bedroom musos it was The Site to be on, and I personally had about six bands and 120 tracks up. Then the greedy lawyers got in on it and fucked everything up for everyone.

The musical aspect of Myspace takes the concept of streaming your music to anyone who cares to click your link in a direction routed in its inherently 'disposable bubblegum teenager hormone-bomb' manner, but compared to mp3.com I find it somewhat lacking. It is good, but unreliable and only four songs!?

Now I've found a site called Soundlink that appears to be a copy of mp3.com. Design and erganomics wise it is 10 years out of date, but you can have as many tunes as you've written up (with different bands if need be). Streaming is lo- and hi-fi, good for those in Ukraine, Nepal and Minnesota that don't have broadband.

Plus, you can view the site in schools, prisons and China where they don't allow the likes of Myspace.

I'll put a bunch of stuff up next week. It might be shit, I dunno.

Just thought I'd tell ya.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 10, 2006 06:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked MP3.com but forgot about it when my PC crashed ands I lost my favorite folder. I listen to a lot of bands on there. I just now added again so thanks for remiding me a bout it. There's nothing that can't be recorded even if it's streaming audio... I record that all the time so I can listen to it whenever I want.

Anyway, let us know what ya think of Soundlink when you get something up there.

--------------------

yawn

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted November 10, 2006 07:29     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's always a pleasure to read your posts, EKH.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 11, 2006 15:34     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was a struggle getting my songs down to a comparitivly managable 150 tracks, but I managed it and now I've got to spend the next month uploading them into this criminally inavigable site.

Meanwhile, I've made an EZ Emlyn K Helicopter Sampler page.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 11, 2006 17:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wrott was excellent DM...good classic stuff. How the hell did you guys go from that to Pure Genius...???
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 11, 2006 19:06     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We did acid, Mez. Shit, you try playing stuff that complicated when you're fucked out of your head!

Cheers though!

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 12, 2006 14:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool diverse collection of tune Em

--------------------

yawn

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted November 15, 2006 13:21     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You might also want to check: www.7161.com

Almost no ads, made by independant musos for independant musos. And if you have your own domain , you can make a redirect and your page will pop up with no reference whatsoever to 7161.com. And the streaming pisses all over myspace...

Oh, and podcast if you like that sort of things

Anyhoo, here<s the official blurb:

About 7161.com
Welcome to www.7161.com... We offer free web audio hosting facilties to www musicians, bands & Deejays, and provide another refuge for genuine indy music on the www - Where did we spring from you might ask?

The 7161.com site was actualy spawned by another popular www music genre site that we run - This original site became more and more popular since starting as a homepage back in the day, around 9 years ago.

About 2 years ago we added a USER-MUSIC section - adding in a 'Peoplesound' style add/edit your music & page system, along with a search section and a few other bits - It started to get used, people continued to signup and tracks were added and we've been tweaking it continualy ever since.

This USER-MUSIC facility grew too big to keep it 'in-site' as just a page/section, so we created 7161.com to expand the section into its own site - Along the way we've setups some things to further enhance peoples on-line music management & to allow users to create their own Homepage/mini-Site with it's own web-address to showcase their work & do useful things.

WHO RUNS THE SITE?

7161 was setup with some free funding supplied by some european businessmen, after a s/w system we worked on was floated on the stock exchange for several millions. In return for all the work we put in to bring that project to fruition for them, they returned the favour and therefore we have these facilities available to us!

The day to day 7161 admin chores are run by a couple of muso's based in London & Wales with servers in The Bunker in Kent and Telehouse in Docklands - It's 100% indy, no evil corporations or record companies own the site..

Steve: The tech geezer 'Obi-wan', does all the server management and very complicated stuff - Steve plays Gibson, Epiphone, Fender & Ovation guitars and can even play jazz (but we forgive him!). He runs Logic for his studio with various other bits, and is impossible to argue with because he's read so many books - In his spare time Steve likes to do crazy stuff like creating object-orientated server control software - As an example, one of his designs has recently been choosen by The Bar Association in the UK - all solicitors in the UK will be using his s/w to share & exchange documents - If the legends are true, Steve started fiddling with computers as a small child when his big brother build a simple pc using a wooden frame with a latice of 8 x 8 vertical/horizontal copper wires.

Matt: Does the site coding and day-to-day admin ("help!... I lost my login details!") - He plays Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Ibanez & Landola guitars, and can't play jazz to save his life! (but he's not a bad metal shredder) - He runs Logic for his studio with assorted outboard & hardware. Matt is an ex Worlds-End Management producer, and occasionaly has stuff released. In the past his various projects have played venues like The Forum, The Academy & Wembley Arena in London, and have been featured on Sky-TV, BBC, ITV and regional UK TV, German TV, local FM radio etc.

WHAT DO YOU GET FOR FREE IN THIS WORLD EH?

Artist/Band/Label users get FREE 50mb server space with an admin system. Each added .mp3 file has a secondary 'Lo-Fi' version encoded by the server on upload, so you get 2 versions on-line when you upload. A 'Hi-fi' original version, and a modem-friendly 24kb/sec 22khz mono demo version.

Deejay user get 65mb of free space which will easily accept a full one hour radio mix set encoded at 128kb mp3 - Yes, you can use the whole space to add large mix-set files, or upload lots of smaller remixes or several 1/2-hour sets, whatever you like!

Unlike other hosting sites, 7161 does not down-sample your uploads. Whatever sample-rate mp3 you choose to upload is faithfuly maintained. So you choose the quality of the mp3 file you want people to stream/download.

Server space can be updated in blocks of 100mb (10/2/06) we've finalised code for the payment system (Worldpay) and it'll be running soon.

After switch on has happened, you can choose to upgrade if you like, and every upgrade member get's a free Video admin slot so they can upload video for streaming as well as music!

As a special introductory offer, we're giving away another FREE 100mb space for all upgrade users, so the basic upgrade will get you 200mb extra + a video slot!

PODCAST YOUR MUSIC WITH 7161 - iTUNES STORE COMPATIBLE PODCASTS!

Yup, we offer free P|odcasting facilities, and all our Podcasts are 100% iTunes Store compatible so you can submit them to Apple for inclusion in the iTunes store! - All Podcasting admin is 100% automatic. Just click a button in your admin and your Podcast is created! - For me details on 7161 Podcasts, click here.

FREE USER HOMEPAGES / MINI-SITES & ADMIN STUFF

Free - No catch - No banners, po-ups, or any advertising at all on your Band/Artist page

Your visitors do not have to open a host site and display your band below all the main site menu's, band names, banner ad's and other stuff which is NOT to do with you or your band - You get a unique web-address that opens ONLY your page with your details and music - We currently offer two Homepage templates - Single-Page & Multi-Page - All Homepages can have a graphic or FLASH banner added too!

Here's an example of the new multi-page template we've added - This new Homepage template included your own Forum & image-gallery - This Homepage uses an uploaded/added Flash banner :
www.7161.com/~The_Screaming_violets

Here's another one with a cool graphic mushroom banner:
www.7161.com/~homegrown_intuition

Here's a Deejay page for DJ Aaliyah - Nice graphics which have been added to one of the basic header templates:
www.7161.com/~djaaliyah

Here's another deejay user page:
www.7161.com/~Dvir_Bloominfield

Remember, we are a totaly unfunded site run by musicians, so we do updates when we have time.... There'll be more designs for 'Homepages' coming along whenever we get the time.

IT'S 100% FREE - You can hand out the address on flyers at gigs and other places - put them on your gig posters - people can go to your page, See your details, listen to your music, see your upcoming gigs, checkout what albums you have, mail you, etc.

Also great for mobile deejays and other deejays wanting to showcase their mixing for getting work.

Simply send any interested party your web-address link and it opens all your stuff ready to go.

It's never out of date - YOU edit it anytime via your admin pages to keep gigs, new tracks or remixes etc & other details up to date 24/7 365 days per year!

ADD A DOMAIN NAME? - SURE IF YOU LIKE

We can setup a domain for you which will open your Homepage - You can also get 1 email at your domain-name address - we'll switch this on after the server-space update payment system is live.

So for free you can have your own band/artist/dejay whatever homepage/mini-site which opens all alone without any trace of a parent site... However you might want a domain-name or have a domain name. Mebbe you cant make a page yourself, or have a mate who never seems to get it together etc. We can do that also.

Here's an example of a domain-name redirected to a 7161 'Homepage'
http://www.nutoniom.org

What we will do is direct the Domain address on the domain server to your 7161 Homepage direct - You can overide this in the future should you get a dedicated site setup on the www.

Cost for domain name reg' & setup will be around £10-15 quid - You also get one mailbox @yourdomainname

WHAT'S ON THIS FREE 7161 WEBPAGE?

Details:
Your artist/producer/band/deejay name, details/text, genre/flava, contacts, logo/image.

Tracks:
50mb of .mp3 file space + a server-encoded 24kb/mono lo-fi version of each track/mix added. (can be upgraded)

Virtual Albums:
You can create Virtual CD 'Albums', complete with Title, Cover-graphic/art & description/liner text - You then add Tracks from your main uploaded track-list to the 'album', and create a Stack-order so the tracks play in the right order. Visitors can click and stream the album all in one go.

Gigs Diary:
All your up-coming gigs & appearances listed in date order.

Individual Track Pages:
Each Track on your main page can be clicked to open up a 'details' page which can show time, description-text, copyright info, image/graphic & kitlist/equipment used to make the song if you like to tell this also.

Hidden Email:
You can option to HIDE your email address from view - Your page includes an email form so that people can mail your direct.

Custom Colours:
You decide the colour scheme - Choose colours for background, title, text, header text, links, etc.

Graphic banner or FLASH banner:
We updated the system, and you can now add/edit a .Jpeg/.Jpg or .gif banner or a FLASH banner to your created Homepage. Your added banner can be changed anytime by uploading a different/updated version, or it can be permanently removed using the RESET button in your Homepage admin area.

Image Gallery / Band members page:

You can add up to 20 band/gig or whatever images to an 'Image-Gallery' page which links to your created user Homepage (100kb max filesize per image) - you can use this also for a 'band-members' Page - If you choose that option on the homepage edit area for the page to be a 'Band members' page, then the button on the homepage reads 'The Band' - otherwise it reads 'Image Gallery' & the images are general.
Each added image can have accompanying text, and where the 'Band Members' option is selected, each image also can have an accompanying 'title' text for the instrument and members-name heading Eg: 'Drums - Jim Anyone'

The image Gallery space is also free.

Mailing-List admin:
Why not we thought!... Dead easy to use mailing list feature - Add/remove addresses to/from List - Compose your email text and 'view-before-sending' to check the message-output before commiting to 'Send' - Happy with the mailshot?... hit 'Send' and that's that.

iTunes PODCAST feeds for all your songs!:
Yup!... all artist/band users can now offer their songs as a Podcast feed for iTunes. All Artist/band pages at 7161 now carry PODCAST icons... click the icon and get a Podcast address which loads all your songs into iTunes in one quick & easy move! - Ideal for even better promotion of your music because you can add your Podcast address to emails or gig flyers and users can load all your songs into iTunes without needing to visit any website! - You can aso create a special Podcast which is compatible for submission to the Apple iTunes store.

No 'Track approval' waiting time:
You upload a new track, and there it is... on-line and ready to stream!

ALL 100% EDITABLE 24/7 - YOU create the page - YOU edit it, adding & changing your: tracks/audio-files, details, texts, gigs, albums - anytime 24/7 from your own home on your normal web-browser!! - NOTHING to download or install - If you can fill out simple web-forms and read, that's all there is to it!! - You simply enter the main site to register and to make any edits to your page details, tracks & gigs.

OK, BUT C'MON, WHAT'S THE CATCH!?

We can't think of one.

SOUNDS LIKE SOME CRAPPY DOT COM STARTUP THING TO ME! - OR IS IT!?

Q. Oh... So you guys just started then & this will probably fold in about 6 months right?... Then, I or my band be left high & dry with no web-page again! - This could be disasterous!... If our drummer gets upset he plays in time!!

A. This is a new site because as mentioned the current membership on the sister site is now too big - We have 1000's of members already by word of mouth alone since we added User-Music space about 1.5 years ago, and overall we've been around for about 9 years.

So, we've opened this new dedicated site only for user-music, but even tho it's 'new', it's already got thousands of members. - The old music section on the old site site was only for dance/electronic music, but the new site can cater for ALL styles of music.

Remember too that the 7161.com site is ONLY needed to be accessed to sign-up, then create & edit your own webpage as as when required - It just so happens that you also get included as an Artist/Band/Deejay into the main site catalog also - So people could discover you thru the site too.

We plan to introduce compilation Cd's of the site artists' music when the retail facility is finished. (Update: 1/12/05 - Worldpay merchant setup is being finalised next week)

As mentioned above in the intro, our 7161.com sister site has been previously rated by Hitwise as joint most popular Uk-based music-genre site for Uk surfing stats for 'visits' along with NME! - We beat names like Rollingstone.com, MTV.com, Sonymusic.com, Peoplesound.com, Britanyspears.com, Robbiewilliams.com, Smashits.com, Ministryofsound.com, Gatecrasher.com, TOTP.bbc.co.uk, Towerecords.com, Pepsichart.com, Blink182.com, Oasisnet.com, Euro-charts.com, Travisonline.com, Offspring.com, and... heh heh... Linkinpark.com

We're not saying we'll get you lots of visitors, it's rare for bands or artists to be signed from a web discovery no matter how huge the site, 7161 is just a site we setup that happens to get good traffic cos its sister site which is linked has been around along time. If you type 'dance-music' for example into google, our sister-site of which this is the 'MUSIC' section, appears usualy around 5th in results - Besides, promotion of a band/act is always your task, the more you promote the better, and these User-Homepages can help in that task - But as you will be listed in this site catalog anyway, it might get some people turning on to you thru discovering you on the site.

OK THEN - I BET MY 'FREE' WEBPAGE WILL BE RIDDLED WITH BANNER AD'S, POP-UPS AND SPYWARE.

Also your page carries NO advertising of ANY kind unlike crappy AOL, Geocities and other such corporate pages which spam your visitors to death with god-aweful screen banners, pop-ups and worse... those shitty adverts for completely UN-wanted crap which float across the screen annoying the f*ck out of you!! - NO spyware either - nothing at all like that.

You get your own Unique URL/web-address which you can put on your posters & flyers and it opens ONLY your page... PERIOD!

WHEN CAN I GET THIS?

Right now - All you gotta do is sign-up with a valid email address, get mailed back your password then Log-in and start filling out any details you want to display - Then after making an initial edit of your details, create your Hompage using the link in your admin section selector!

You create and edit the page automaticaly and it takes one click to create & setup... After that any time you change your mind about the colours you can update them... As for your Homepage content, that is changed by adding & editing things in your 7161.com site user admin - All changes you make there load automaticaly every time someone loads your Homepage - it's always up to date therefore - As soon as you make an alteration, it's there on your Homepage!

Add a new Track or upload a new remix or edit & it's instantly on-line and ready to play!

COMING SOON - MORE UPDATES

We're working right now to add-in merchant credit-card processing stuff which will be inplace soon - We will be offering an upgrade to all free users so they can bolt-on more disk-space where required to add more tracks + all upgrade-users get a free streaming video slot admin!

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

Q. Is my webpage/data/songs safe?

Q. Will this page I create be reliable or offline all the time?

Your Webpage & song files will be stored in an underground ex-nato nuclear-safe bunker with enuff power-backup to survive a complete UK national grid failure for up to 3 months.

So even if Britain get's nuked by Osama, people can still listen to your songs and see your next gigs!... (er, albeit that your band & the actual punters might be fried to a crisp. lol!)

Your Homepage & audio files will be stored/served-up from here:
http://www.thebunker.net/wwa-datacentre.htm http://www.thebunker.net/wwa-infrastructure.htm

We've been in place here for about a year and everything is good with a %99.9 uptime - VERY reliable

UPDATE: 14/6/2005: Ok, many moons back we used to run deejay sets from a server, but that was all switched off when we moved everything to kent Bunker. Now we have a dedicated media-server in London Docklands and can host long deejay sets for free - just mail us for details of getting your set/s archived.

Feel free to join up and use the facilties - We hope you'll find them useful and will take the upgrade to not only help the site survive & grow, but also to get those extra facilties for yourselves!

You'll find a site bugs & feedback forum in the forums section for any problems - The regulars will be there to help you out as well as the site admin - or mail us on: admin@7161.com

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan