my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Computer Question

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer Question
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 21, 2006 02:23     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First off, I'm not computer savvy, infact I'm pretty computer illiterate, but I'm getting better...although one thing has been completely driving me nuts over the last coupe of days...and that is "unlocking my fucking toolbar!!!"

so it will look like this again:

Believe me, I've gone to through the "view" section and went to all the bars: the toolbar, status bar, explorer bar, and now the bar down the street to get fucking drunk because I can't figure out how to unlock the fucker!!!

Somebody help me please!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

|  IP: Logged
Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted October 21, 2006 03:20     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right click on the tool bar on and look for the option.

If it doesn't work drink a beer.

If it doesn't work, listen to music with blast beat because it solve problem.

If it doesn't work drink a beer.

Repeat as needed

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 21, 2006 04:24     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to use your topic,BC, but i have also a problem with toolbars. How do get one rid of a YAHOO-Toolbar that comes up everytime i start a new window?

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted October 21, 2006 10:09     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dowload Internet Explorer 7 and solve old problems, get new.
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 21, 2006 13:43     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Sorry to use your topic,BC, but i have also a problem with toolbars. How do get one rid of a YAHOO-Toolbar that comes up everytime i start a new window?

go to the "Control panel"
Choose install/uninstll program
try to find a program called "Yahoo extras"
click on it and it should get uninstalled.
then you can celebrate with a beer or two

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 21, 2006 14:00     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnnKatorZZ:
go to the "Control panel"
Choose install/uninstll program
try to find a program called "Yahoo extras"
click on it and it should get uninstalled.
then you can celebrate with a beer or two

Done that, thank you Ankki,

beer was allready in my hand.... (1st today)

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 21, 2006 16:08     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
Or scrap the damned M$ exploder for good and get Firefox.

So true Hex. So much better with it's tabbed browsing (although Bill and the company named after his penis has that on the new IE7 finally) Always been a safer way to travel the internet too.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 21, 2006 16:15     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Done that, thank you Ankki,

beer was allready in my hand.... (1st today)

You're welcome Paul.

I never liked Windows, I waited a long time before I installed it my computor, not untl 1995 I think. I want to be in charge of the system, don't like it when the system wanna be in charge. I miss the old Dos days

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 21, 2006 17:01     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The problem is that it's not even the system itself that's in control. It's some 14 year old hacker bastard 20000 miles away playing tricks with you and hosting pron on your little beige workstation. You won't notice because you as a proud pc owner is too busy chasing spyware all night long.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 21, 2006 17:13     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vroomfondel:
The problem is that it's not even the system itself that's in control. It's some 14 year old hacker bastard 20000 miles away playing tricks with you and hosting pron on your little beige workstation. You won't notice because you as a proud pc owner is too busy chasing spyware all night long.

hahaha ROTFL I think I almost solved that problem with virus. just almost. My grown up son is into computors, building his own stuff, knows both hardware and software. He always tell me how to search for spyware and virus and how to prevent virus. I was lucky this week, there was a link posted on Myspazz and most people got the virus, my software immediately alerted and the software did as my settings told it to do: "abort connection.

You can never be sure 'tho. Leaving traces on ever site you visit and such.

Anybody thought of Linux?

--------------------

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted October 21, 2006 19:24     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As people above recommended, download firefox instead of IE7.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Then you can download Tab Mix Plus.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1122/

You can set multiple homepages in tabs, so each time you open your browser, it could open to both NY Times and Voivodfan, say. Or however many as you want.

Have multiple tabs instead of lots of different browser windows open. You can have lots of tabs open, and bookmark them all in a folder! Lots of neat settings to play with.
Etc

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 21, 2006 22:50     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All I want for X-mas are fucking "back" and "forward" buttons in the right fucking place!!!

...and fuck the "two front teeth" bit!

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 22, 2006 01:10     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right-click on the toolbar, and select "unlock the toolbars" - it should be at the bottom of the list, just above "customize" (or at least it is on mine). I'm not sure this will solve your problem though. It just means you can move your toolbars around where you want them. The order the buttons are in within the toolbar shouldn't change. If you want to change the order of the buttons, click on "customize" instead - you can move them up or down within the list.

If rearranging the toolbars IS what you're after, you can move them around once you unlock them (click on the left edge and drag them to the desired location). Once you get them where you want them, I'd recommend you relock them so they don't get rearranged again accidentally.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 22, 2006 01:52     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Megz for helping, but unfortunately it isn't doing a bit of good by "locking" the toolbars (with a check next to it) or unlocking the toolbars (with no check)...it's still the same response: A no go as far as restoring what I once had!

The only thing I can think of that might explain wrongful doing on my part is that my little boy was "pressing" on some keys with his chin...but seriously, I was still in FULL control of my keyboard!!! Besides, I had already taken the precaution by cutting off his fingers on both hands with a pair of hand-pruners before I got on the computer!

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 22, 2006 02:13     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unlocking the toolbar won't automatically restore the order you had previously - you have to move the toolbars around manually. When you unlock them, you should notice a little vertical bar on the left-hand edge of the toolbar. When you mouse over that, the arrow should change to a vertical line with arrows pointing left-right. You click on there and you can move the toolbar wherever you want it.

You could also try clicking on "customize" and then "reset". That will put the individual buttons within the toolbar back in their default order, if they have been rearranged. I don't think it'll move the toolbars as a whole though.

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 22, 2006 05:15     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
Yes, I use it all the time since 1998 or so.

Are most sofware compatible with Linux? I know it can run Windows XP, As things ar now Windows is a part of my OS if I use Linux this will not happen?

--------------------

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted October 22, 2006 06:10     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lots of stuff has a Linux release now so it's not the problem it was.

As a person who plays games a lot Linux was a no go until the last 2 or 3 years because not many companies supported it. That is changing and most new games come with a linux release, or become available for Linux not long after.

I'm no supporter of Microsoft but it has become a prime target for hackers because over 90% of all PC users use Windows and internet exploder, and therefore finding and exploiting major security issues guarantees you will make headlines. Firefox and Linux have much smaller userbases but both are increasing as dissatisfaction with Microsoft among more knowledgeable PC users spreads. At the moment most hackers would not bother to hunt for holes in these products because, lets face it, it would hardly be front page news. However, I often wonder if they gained a substantial userbase whether hackers would turn their attention to them, and therefore, how they would hold up under such scrutiny.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 22, 2006 07:33     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks fornthe info. I will a serious discussion with my son about changing to Linux as i know he is using it on one of his computors.

As you say Windows are a target for hackers, let's just hope this doesn't happen all to soon with Linux.

--------------------

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted October 22, 2006 13:30     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When you right click on a gray spot of your toolbar you should have a Standard Buttons option that you need to check.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 22, 2006 14:18     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syl Disjonk:
When you right click on a gray spot of your toolbar you should have a Standard Buttons option that you need to check.

*sigh* as a mother of three I can remember how my computer seemed to suddenly be totally screwed up. Knowing my kids playing with it and just hit a button here and there. I was furious sometimes and occasionally sad for all the work I just lost..

If the above by Syl doesn't work, you should consider to re-install Internet explorer.

You favorites should remain in a folder, when you do this. Save all email contacts and such in a special file just to be on the safe side.

--------------------

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 22, 2006 17:13     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:
...and that is "unlocking my fucking toolbar!!!"

(the Ultimate Beer Bong)

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted October 22, 2006 18:47     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One problem with that thing, Tangento - it's empty!

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 23, 2006 15:03     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for your suggestions people...I'm feeling better now that I had a friend who was over the other night fix it for me. Yeah, I feel pretty stupid, all he did was drag vertical tabs over to the toobar section and "presto!"

I think that's what you were hinting at, right Megz?

Good thing it was easy though...I just know the computer was anxious to fly out the friggin' window!

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 23, 2006 15:23     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhhhhh,

what a community this is. Eventhough there isn't much Voivod to talk about.....

I love it.

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan