my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Yeah, and why Piggy's never there in any top 100 polls of the best guitar players?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeah, and why Piggy's never there in any top 100 polls of the best guitar players?
Dovïov
VoivodFan
Member # 931

posted October 13, 2006 13:53     Profile for Dovïov   Email Dovïov     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
are all people deaf or what???

In a not-so-recent Rolling Stone list there's Hendrix, BB King, Fripp and all.. There's even Robert Quine of the Voidoids...

But no trace of Denis Piggy D'Amour of Voïvod...

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 13, 2006 14:26     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those polls always suck. Who reads Rolling Stone anyway?

Piggy will always be at the very top of my list though. Though Fripp comes close, no on else quite makes my brain spasm like Piggy's brilliant playing. Not to mention, it's nearly as addictive as New Mexico's green chile.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 13, 2006 14:30     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He was the man in Guitar Player long ago. That made my day. Just have to face it:

He never had leatherpants on (i hope) (sorry Mike)

He never said that he ruled (that alone makes him the ruler)

He never cared what others might think about his ideas/riffing. That goes for all my heroes. Guitar or whatever :-)
Maybe in the band. But that's an organism of it's own.

He always did his own thing. That's what counts and that's what i'm in love with.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted October 13, 2006 15:06     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Playboy got better articles than Rolling Stone.

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted October 13, 2006 15:34     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd chalk it up to ignorance. I think that if you asked the people that compile those lists if they'd even heard Nothingface, Hatross, Outer Limits, etc. they'd give you a blank look. I'm pretty sure that any true gee-tar afficionado got to hear Piggy's finest leads, riffs and solos they'd certainly be impressed enough to give him due credit.

But really, who cares as long as you know the real deal.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 13, 2006 19:14     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:

Piggy will always be at the very top of my list though. Though Fripp comes close, no on else quite makes my brain spasm like Piggy's brilliant playing. Not to mention, it's nearly as addictive as New Mexico's green chile.

True on all accounts! Especially the addictive green chile! mmmm It's dinner time!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted October 13, 2006 20:09     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd rather chew glass than read that fucking rag. The people who consistently vote excruciatingly boring players as "best" are the same assholes who think that The Clash is "punk," what a fucking joke. Ever hear those bores? The only thing "punk" about them is their teeth. (Yeah, I know, their first 2 45s are good...)

PIGGY RULES

All the best,
PAULIE

PS Fuck Clapton, and people who think he's "god" are entitled to their opinion, however incorrect.

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 13, 2006 21:26     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1079309/posts

aw, well 93 is better than 101, i guess.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Dovïov
VoivodFan
Member # 931

posted October 14, 2006 12:56     Profile for Dovïov   Email Dovïov     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:

When you're in a dull dentist waiting room for hours, with a terrible toothache and you're thinking about extracting the damn thing yourself, you read whatever is there, just to think of something else.

Ok, my rotten tooth is gone and i feel better...Now I can wash me of my sin.

Besides, there was no Playboy around...

winoguy
VoivodFan
Member # 748

posted October 15, 2006 07:13     Profile for winoguy   Email winoguy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What a joke that Guitar player poll is too. Why are they listing teams. Paul Stanley included with Ace at #14. Yeah, I think he's better than Piggy, Fuck Off!

--------------------

11-7-88 w/ Violence
5-15-03 w/ Sepultura
6-22-08 w/ Anthrax

Interested in CDR trades. Have over 3100 titles in thrash, doom, death, grind, hardcore, NWOBHM, 70's, power etc. I sell on ebay under vladdrac666
http://www.myspace.com/doommetalpatches

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted October 15, 2006 08:29     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Polls suck period.

Dennis was an original and truly gifted guitarist who influenced many others. That to me is enough to know he was a legend.

For me labelling somebody the best is always clouded by subjectivity and really should only be treated as an opinion. Mags like Rolling Stone just like to pander to over inflated egos. It does little for the cause of music itself.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted October 15, 2006 22:14     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zCthonz:
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1079309/posts

aw, well 93 is better than 101, i guess.

#34 CC Deville.

That's just sad.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 16, 2006 10:05     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now excuse me!!
quote:
02. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (METALLICA)

BLAH!
just take it with a grain of salt.........

quote:
Well we are big rock singers, we've got golden fingers
And we're loved everywhere we go
We sing about beauty and we sing about truth
At ten thousand dollars a show
We take all kind of pills to give us all kind of thrills
But the thrill we've never known
Is the thrill that'll get you when you get your picture
On the cover of the Rolling Stone

Rolling Stone
Wanna see my picture on the cover
Rolling Stone
Wanna buy five copies for my mother
Rolling Stone
Wanna see my smilin' face

I've got a freaky old lady name o' Cocaine Katy
Who embroiders on my jeans
I've got my poor old gray-haired Daddy
Drivin' my limousine
Now it's all designed to blow our minds
But our minds won't really be blown
Like the blow that'll get you when you get your picture

{Refrain}

We got a lot of little teenage blue-eyed groupies
Who do anything we say
We got a genuine Indian guru
He's teachin' us a better way
We got all the friends that money can buy
So we never have to be alone
And we keep gettin' richer but we can't get our picture

{Refrain}

.... Shel Silverstein

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted October 16, 2006 12:16     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it wasn't for polls half of the world's forum topics would disappear.

My roommate has a Rolling Stone subsciption (gak!) so I browse through them sometimes. It's like Mtv with cigarette and booze ads.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan