my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Why is Eric Clapton such a famous guitar player? (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Why is Eric Clapton such a famous guitar player?
L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted October 29, 2006 01:19     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Who were the greatest in the middle of the sixties.
 |  IP: Logged
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 29, 2006 16:37     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Moon and Entwistle are still the reason i don't change the station when i hear a Who song on the radio. Lunatics on their instruments they were.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 30, 2006 08:39     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Who were amazing, great songwritting and big sound. And Townsend isn't a soloist anyway, but a great rythm player. He's the one who made power chords popular.

Oh, and who said something about tiny Strat sound? You clearly haven't heard the PHAT sound I can get out of a standard Strat...

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 30, 2006 09:08     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to interfear but.......

Townsend????
You must be talking about Townshend. Pete Townshend (with an h).?

Robbo Robertson sometimes played a stratocaster using a Mesa Boogie amplifier and a Colorsound wah-pedal. didn't sound thin. ahh, this is not my area I'm just a Thin Lizzy fan.

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 30, 2006 23:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll take Prince over Clapton anyday... cool video, thanks. Clapton bores the hell out of me especially his singing (yawn), but I do like the stuff he did with Cream but that's mainly because of Bruce and Baker, and the fact Clapton keeps his mouth shut and Bruce sings. Ginger Baker joined Masters Of Reality on their 2nd album "sunshine on the surfer bus" and that is an incredible album from start to finish.

I love Pete Townshend... phenomenal songwritter, and his solo material I have always found more imprssive than the Who stuff (although Who's Next is a masterpiece) and I contribute that to Pete singing the words he wrote instead of giving them to Daltrey to interpret his way.

Cobain was the Generation X icon because of his songwritting, which also ironically lead to his death. He should have just quit the biz before he let it become his demise. I've alway's thought Vedder was a way better writter than Cobain (and still pens incredible music) but never really considered Pearl Jam to be grunge... just damn good music.

I Hate the Stones and all it's members yet when I hear another performer cover a jagger/richards tune... I usually enjoy it, so it's their playing and singing that I think blows. I do understand they are living legends, no doubt about it.

I HATE SPRINGSTEEN WITH A PASSION his voice and playing make me wanna puke.

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 31, 2006 10:19     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
The Who were amazing, great songwritting and big sound. And Townsend isn't a soloist anyway, but a great rythm player. He's the one who made power chords popular.

Oh, and who said something about tiny Strat sound? You clearly haven't heard the PHAT sound I can get out of a standard Strat...

that be me. Townshend's tiny strat sound bothers me. power chords? eh! he just twirled his arms and made it look better than it sounded. don't get me wrong, i dig a strat sound, just not his. he broke things. that put him above the others in the eyes of some people. a gimmick? maybe, but it worked, he's always mentioned in top whatever lists. just not mine.

Prince?? Hell yeah!

I wonder if michael bolton can play guitar?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 31, 2006 12:09     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zlugz:

that be me...........

Prince?? Hell yeah!

Know from hearing you on your albums you can make a great sound slug. Prince is the master....

Have you heard Townshend's solo album "Empty Glass"? It's not bad at all.

Happy Helloween to you and your g.f. don't scare the kids too much!!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 31, 2006 22:12     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd listen to almost anything instead of something Eric Clapton plays. In my opinion, his music is so bland, it kind of passes through my senses without detection. Sort of like a total abscence of matter. Kinda like deep space.

I don't have to be the shredding type to make me want to listen. Just play something listenable. David Gilmour has a similar style to Eric Clapton, but somehow I enjoy David Gilmour so much more. Hell, Kurt Cobain's intentionally awful solos are much more appealing to me.

In short...Eric Clapton? Eh. He's no Ace Frehley, that's for sure.

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted November 01, 2006 22:55     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd don't understand why Cobain is consider as a great musician, he plays guitar all his life like a five years old kid with only wrote his songs with the 3 or four chords. Grunge had made obscurity over metal scene in 90's with a insipid kind of music. I damn grunge style. Metal is still present but grunge is OUT. I admit that some people can like this... music .

But U2, Tragically Hip, Simple Plan are worst than shit.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted November 02, 2006 01:24     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L'Heavy:
I'd don't understand why Cobain is consider as a great musician, he plays guitar all his life like a five years old kid with only wrote his songs with the 3 or four chords. Grunge had made obscurity over metal scene in 90's with a insipid kind of music. I damn grunge style. Metal is still present but grunge is OUT. I admit that some people can like this... music .

But U2, Tragically Hip, Simple Plan are worst than shit.

"Grunge" music only killed off music that needed to die anyway. If you truly miss any of the bands that disappeared forever during the advent of grunge, then you need to rethink your musical taste.

By the way, the Ramones are proof that you only need three chords.

U2 is still great.

Long live insipid music.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted November 02, 2006 04:41     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's wrong with songs with only three chords?

Is John J. Rambo a less fascinating character, only because he uses few words?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 02, 2006 06:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved the grunge era, and still listen to most of the music from that time. Grunge to me (at least for the bands I loved) just seemed like a combination of Sabbath riffs mixed with Jim Morrison style deep thinking lyrics. Just great rock music that wasn't about big hair and make up.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 02, 2006 08:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grunge killed hair metal. Grunge killed synths and saxophone solos. Grunge put guitars back on the radio. Grunge is a great source of vitamines.
L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted November 02, 2006 10:11     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finaly, grunge have the same right to exist as much Celine Dion, Elton John or Boy George... But I will reconsider the fact that grunge can bring a source vitamins. It seems to be so much a depressive kind of music that the vitamins have no effect on Cobain, which finish commit suicide (he wasn't so healthy).

Nirvana = Depressive music

Venom, Voïvod, Anvil, Exodus, Destruction, Motorhead, Black Sabbath are THE BEST because of the highest skill of performance from their musicians in comparison with Disco, Techno, Grunge, Hip-Hop, Rap, or so many others kind of noise. There is no way to open my mind to some easy-listenable music. Compare Exodus with Nirvana like compare a lion with a worm. The sound, the music have power and impact. Each time I heard it since about 1985, I never fell otherwise than funny and full of energy, not mad like grunge want to transcend to the auditor. Nirvana is a cheapest copy of Velvet Underground. I prefer closed my mind to something and keep my time to open for better.
If grunge had bring back guitar to the radio stations in '90s, it's for the simple reason that grunge is a commercial rock style the same way as Justin Timberlake is a commercial product and plays often on radio stations, Simple Plan or U2 : they are Commercial Products of Showbusine$$. They're Only In It For The Money...
That's why metal rarely play on major radio stations. They live for music before all. And the result is always better to hear.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 02, 2006 19:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
L'Heavy wrote "Venom, Voïvod, Anvil, Exodus, Destruction, Motorhead, Black Sabbath are THE BEST because of the highest skill of performance from their musicians..."

I gotta say if this is the only style music you listen to, then you are missing out on a lot of great music. Even the members of the bands you listed have an open ear to a wider variety of music and listen to many more styles than just Thrash. And to say the musicians in those bands have the highest skills... ??? Aside from Piggy, I would have to say most of the others are fairly one dimesional players. I'm not saying they aren't good players, just not as diverse and unique as many others I could list.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted November 03, 2006 08:36     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Venom [...] are THE BEST because of the highest skill of performance from their musicians

Hehehe, I kinda get a kick outta that!

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted November 03, 2006 09:33     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
An example of a cover better than the original.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7197824358776485966

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 03, 2006 21:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks L'Heavy.. I hadn't seen that Weird Al video in a long time... great stuff, but I still like Nirvana. I must admit however, Smells Like Teen Spirit was killed by the radio with too much airplay.

--------------------

yawn

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted November 04, 2006 01:59     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's a lot of band that I like and probably nobody on this site would be agree with me. We can't like the same thing everybody in the world and it's correct.

Music always create reactions. It's normal when music is a passion like we all share here.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 04, 2006 06:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
There's a lot of band that I like and probably nobody on this site would be agree with me. We can't like the same thing everybody in the world and it's correct.

Music always create reactions. It's normal when music is a passion like we all share here.

DAMN GOOD POINT. I've been turn on to a lot of different bands thanks to people on this forum... some of those bands have SUCKED, while others have been incredible. Voivod brings in listeners from all different genres because they are so multi-faceted.

--------------------

yawn

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 04, 2006 07:34     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Amen to that!!!
...and fuck Clapton!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted November 04, 2006 11:45     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
amen to all dat shiit! I have mos def bean turned on to some great muzic here and u'all are great peeps with even greater tastes in muxic. damn, this laptop!! My funges are too big... er, um.

3 chords and the truth.

"Grunge". stoopid term, some great tunes from those years and hell yeha it put an end to Hair Metal!! yay! thaqnk u kurt.

--------------------

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted November 04, 2006 14:15     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Comparing Clapton...
Have you Guys ever heard Allan Holdsworth play the blues ??
Haha...oh my God, I think we're talking different categories here.

No, Holdsworth is not a cold fusion virtuoso artist, and yes, he plays the blues also, with all deepness and soul, but it's just a tiny bit of his repertoire.

John Coltrane was also able to play blues, wasn't he.

--------------------

What the...?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 04, 2006 21:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holdsworth is awesome!!!! Besides, he was in the band UK with Jobson, Wetton, and Bruford!!!! One of mine and Mezcal's altime favorite bands!!!!

Is there any style Holdsworth isn't great at?
I didn't think so.

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan