my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Why is Eric Clapton such a famous guitar player? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Why is Eric Clapton such a famous guitar player?
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted October 13, 2006 07:29     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He can play, yes, but does he has an own style? I can't hear something special in his play.

Ok, I only listened to a Clapton Best Of. So am I missing something?

|  IP: Logged
nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted October 13, 2006 08:00     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
imo NO
good question, anyone?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted October 13, 2006 08:29     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One word: CREAM.

Biggest influence on Black Sabbath. So that's almost like saying Clapton played heavy metal before Sabbath.

After that, well, who cares about Clapton?

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted October 13, 2006 09:50     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

Disraeli Gears is a great album!!!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 13, 2006 10:58     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

After that, well, who cares about Clapton?

Agree 100%. Then again, it's Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker I listen to when Cream are on. Top band.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 13, 2006 12:02     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Clapton with Cream is pretty great, but overall, I think he's waaaay overrated. Read those liner notes inside your Cream LPs and you'll see it was Bruce and Baker who were doing a majority of the writing for that band.

Why people still goo themselves over him is beyond me.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 13, 2006 12:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like the solo albums he did in the 70's before he got really popular. As for his guitar playing, I think he was at the right place at the right time.
St. Mike
VoivodFan
Member # 570

posted October 13, 2006 12:27     Profile for St. Mike   Email St. Mike     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I think "back in the day" when he played through some 'distortion' people took notice. Then... well perhaps he got old I guess. I don't know. Different generation for us I think.

-St. Mike

--------------------

ARE YOU MORBID?

Gorf.
VoivodFan
Member # 828

posted October 13, 2006 13:13     Profile for Gorf.   Email Gorf.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's not as good as Larry Lalonde.
Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted October 13, 2006 13:16     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf.:

Hahahaa! Word.

--------------------

String em up

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 13, 2006 13:18     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gorf.:

Haha, Burning in Heeeeelllllllll.........

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 13, 2006 23:02     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Clapton's bluesy style of lead work. He has great tone as well. He's no shredder, but he's a very clean lead player and his vibrato is awesome.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted October 14, 2006 07:38     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I asked a friend of mine who is in a band himself and was (is?) a fan of his work, he says something about slowhand playing and the fact that he has been in Cream.

--------------------

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 14, 2006 09:31     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also like Claptons blusey style. He was in Yardbirds before Cream and it was there he got the nickname 'Slowhand'.

quote:
According to Yardbirds rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja, whenever Clapton broke a guitar string during a concert, Clapton would stay on stage and replace it. The English audiences would wait out the delay by doing what is called a "slow handclap". The Yardbirds' manager, Giorgio Gomelsky, turned the phrase "slow handclap" into a nickname for the album notes of Five Live Yardbirds

He always liked the spotlights. A Living legend....

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted October 14, 2006 09:39     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
He's famous because once upon a time, his guitar gently wept.

check out the link to Prince playing that (from that page):
http://www.warnerreprise.com/asx/tompetty_ghigentlyweeps_300-v.asx

Prince >>>>>>>>>>>>> Eric Clapton.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 14, 2006 10:46     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Brilliant just brilliant!

--------------------

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted October 14, 2006 11:59     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why is Curt Cobain considered to be great? I can play most of his stuff on guitar, and I'm not a guitar player.

Simple, he had hit songs. The same for Clapton.

Now Clapton is in another galaxy compared to Cobain as far as guitar talent goes, but the point remains the same. If you sell a lot of records you're considered to be great, no matter what you sound like.

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted October 14, 2006 12:33     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's deadly boring. Besides that, he can't play. Even worse than Santana.

--------------------

What the...?

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted October 14, 2006 19:31     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Why is Curt Cobain considered to be great? I can play most of his stuff on guitar, and I'm not a guitar player.

Simple, he had hit songs. The same for Clapton.

Now Clapton is in another galaxy compared to Cobain as far as guitar talent goes, but the point remains the same. If you sell a lot of records you're considered to be great, no matter what you sound like.

I don't think he's considered to be a great guitrplayer, Cobain became an Icon for Grunge and the media wrote a lot about him, he created a concept to live by, he failed to live up to his own concept of life and comitted suicide, witch also is discussed in media. Cobain was an Icon, didn't matter if he was a medioker guitar player.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 15, 2006 03:33     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hypercube:
He can play, yes, but does he has an own style? I can't hear something special in his play.

Ok, I only listened to a Clapton Best Of. So am I missing something?

Jimi Hendrix = Eric Clapton = Stevie Ray Vaughn = bland blues/rock.

*although, I am a sucker for Vaughn's rendition of Little Wing!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 15, 2006 03:38     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:

Because he was an amazing songwriter, not an amazing guitarist.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted October 16, 2006 18:06     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I have to hear some Cream in the end.
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted October 16, 2006 22:05     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloud:
Because he was an amazing songwriter, not an amazing guitarist.

exactly!
Nothing amazing about Clapton, vibrato yeah. Nothing great about Keith Richards, but he's supposed to be one of the best and I think he stinks. Sure he had a few great, classic riffs, but that's it; just riffs. No memorable leads that i can think of. And like Cobain and so many other "greats", he is in a band that writes great songs. I do like most of the Stones' tunes, but don't care for dudes playing.

Now Tommy Emmanuel, there's a freakin' god on the guitar!

I guess I can rant on about Townsend as well. Nothing great to my ears there either. Maybe it's all that crappy, tinny Strat tone that bothers me!

ranting done

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted October 28, 2006 09:34     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Clapton is a great guitarist but he cross differents steps in his carreer. First, he was discovered for his talent on guitar. With the Yardbird, he played blues like no other before. You just have to listen songs like Too much monkey business or Good morning little schoolgirl on Five Live Yardbirds album to hear Clapton at his best. He played so well and very fast. His music was not only good at this time but this is this best blues he never played. Really fast to call it speed-blues. After, when he quit the Yardbirds he played good music with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers but when he formed Cream with Baker and Bruce, he became addict to heroin and his music suffered of this problem at the end of 1968.
After this period he played different kind of style of music with Blind Faith and start his solo carreer but he never be the same in comparison with his first times with the Yardbird. He wrote or played many hits over the years but at the first times he played music (he just played guitar at this time and start singing only with Mayall and Bluesbreaker)he really was the best. People called him God at this moment not for nothing.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 28, 2006 19:41     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zlugz:
I guess I can rant on about Townsend as well. Nothing great to my ears there either. Maybe it's all that crappy, tinny Strat tone that bothers me!

The Who had some great songs too, but I've always thought of them as a band with an average guitarist and singer, and an amazing bassist and drummer. They should have called it a day when Moon died, and most certainly when Entwistle died... It's amazing how long some of these guys will ride out their careers based on songs they wrote decades in the past.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan