my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Black Sabbath reunites with Dio (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Black Sabbath reunites with Dio
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 27, 2006 23:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got this bulletin on My Space sent from the Gods of Doom TROUBLE :
www.bravewords.com
RONNIE JAMES DIO To Reunite With TONI IOMMI, GEEZER BUTLER And BILL WARD Under The Banner HEAVEN & HELL
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 12:27:57

Even though their respective managements have not officially released any information, Rafabasa webzine in Madrid, Spain is reporting exclusively that starting in June, 2007 there will be a reunion tour of a group going by the name HEAVEN & HELL.

At this time, there are no dates confirmed, but the tour booking agent is offering the band to the promoters of the most important heavy metal festivals taking place next year.

Under the name Heaven & Hell you will find TONI IOMMI, RONNIE JAMES DIO, GEEZER BUTLER and BILL WARD.

Evidently if everything is confirmed, they will be playing a set consisting of music from every single CD that Ronnie James Dio performed with BLACK SABBATH, to include Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, Live Evil and Dehumanizer.

The reunion cannot tour under the name Black Sabbath, or BLACK SABBATH WITH DIO, due to the fact that the copyright of the name is the property of OZZY OSBOURNE and his wife/manager Sharon Osbourne.

interesting how Osbourne now owns the name of the band he got kicked out of. How the fuck did Iommi let this happen? He musta been hard up for $$$. Granted, Ozzy was in the golden days of Sab and the years they are most famous for but there were many great albums released after his firing; furthermore, there were more years post-Ozzy than years with Ozzy. I'm not saying anything the classic line up wasn't the greatest, it just wasn't the only one in the history of Black Sabbath.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 28, 2006 05:00     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd go to see that. At least Dio can still yodel.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 28, 2006 06:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RJD can still sing as great as he used to, the guy has an amazing voice. Some of his past releases have been hit or miss but that was because of the hokey lyrics, not his voice. I still listen to his recordings he did with Sabbath and consider as classic as anything Ozzy did with the band.

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 28, 2006 07:02     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What would they call themselves if Tony 'The Cat' Martin rejoined? Shat Sabbeth?

$haron is a moneywhore cunt. Everybody knows.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 28, 2006 10:28     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is the best news I've heard since Armored Saint got back together. I'm really sick of Sharon and Ozzy. Without Iommi, Butler and Ward there is no Ozzy and Sharon would be managing REO Speedwagon's county fair, funnel cake tour.
consumer
VoivodFan
Member # 421

posted September 28, 2006 12:58     Profile for consumer   Email consumer     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Will surely see this. Always dug the Dio line-up. Saw them with him on that Dehumanizer tour (with Prong!). Good show. Shame Iommi turned over the name.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 28, 2006 18:32     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thats sounds completely fucking awesome.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted September 28, 2006 21:26     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see no problem at all with the name change. Infact, Sabbath should have changed their name after Ozzy left the FIRST TIME.

</die-hard Ozzy-era Sab fan rant>

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 29, 2006 06:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I kind of agree with ya Tang, but I think the 2 studio albums they did with Dio were way better than the last couple albums released with Ozzy. Technical Ecstacy & Never Say Die were nowhere up to par for what Sabbath should have been doing, and when RJD entered the picture they got a new lease on life. After Ronnie left they were still some great albums but nothing I would consider Sabbath. I LOVED the album with Gillan, and stuff like Seventh Star, and Eternal Idol and a few tracks on Tyr are phenomenal, but it doesn't remind me of what Sabbath should sound like.

It's tough when a singer gets replaced in a band to still have that same sound and not sound different.... unless you are Savatage!!! Sometimes it's part of the evolution of a band (King Crimson, Anthrax for example) and it helps them grow, other times it's just a bad idea (Iron Maiden)and a name changed would have made more sense.

--------------------

yawn

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted September 29, 2006 07:19     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would be wonderful to hear and see Dio with them guys.

DIO is Dio and will always be DIO.

Hmm, why do I suddenly feel so young again!

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 29, 2006 07:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They could have gone the Yes/Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe way, and call themselves Dio, Ward, Iommi and Butler. Or DWIB, if you wanna make short.

"- Hey, did you go to the DWIB show last night?
- Oh, yeah, I saw DWIB last night. They played their classic War Pigs!
- Ah yes, War Pigs from DWIB's classic album Paranoid!"

I wonder if they'll play the song Black Sabbath...

Anyway, it's a good news. The Black Sabbath name will gater dust and spider webs in a corner. Just like Ozzy.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 29, 2006 10:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
RJD can still sing as great as he used to, the guy has an amazing voice. Some of his past releases have been hit or miss but that was because of the hokey lyrics, not his voice. I still listen to his recordings he did with Sabbath and consider as classic as anything Ozzy did with the band.

I would disagree about Ronnie still having the singing range...have you heard the Holy Diver live album? What a train wreck... I think these guys should retire to their farms and each write a book on their lives. Now that would be a contribution.....

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted September 29, 2006 14:06     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

I wonder if they'll play the song Black Sabbath...

Anyway, it's a good news. The Black Sabbath name will gater dust and spider webs in a corner. Just like Ozzy.

They played it and a few other Ozzy classics on the Dehumanizer tour, but AFAIC they should follow the current trend and play Heaven and Hell in it's entirety.

Also I think that Dio's current stuff is as good as his old albums are. Magica, Killing The Dragon and Master Of The Moon are all awesome. The guy is the same age as my dad and is still recording and touring.

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted September 29, 2006 14:10     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I would disagree about Ronnie still having the singing range...have you heard the Holy Diver live album? What a train wreck... I think these guys should retire to their farms and each write a book on their lives. Now that would be a contribution.....

Ahh, MEZ aka/ LEE, don't do that!
Now I can feel my age again. You are supposed to be a ladies man yeah, you're cute young man. hahaha

OK DIO is old enough to be my dad...
I love his voice, my fav album all time is Rainbow on Stage despite Thin Lizzy and Voivod.

--------------------

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 29, 2006 14:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, it's been since 1994 since I last saw Dio live, but at that time he blew the doors of the place with the power of his voice. I was shocked actually... and converted (my previous opinion of Dio/Sabbath was similar to Tangento's). Haven't heard that Holy Diver Live thing though...

I would love this rumor to actually be true, since Ozzy has sadly pissed away all the opportunities to record new material with, bar none, the best band he ever played with aka Iommi, Butler, and Ward.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted September 29, 2006 15:38     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's fucked up that Ozzy own the name of the band. I absolutely think it's their best period but hell it's like if Paul Dianno was owning Maiden's name. I don't even understand how it can be legal.

I saw Dio live in Quebec city for the Killing the Dragon tour, because Voivod were opening for them in the Snake return area. I'm far from being a big fan but live with a few beer and some good will about nostaligia about the 80s it can be fun. He had a great voice for sure.

I've heard other comments about the Holy Diver live album wrecking big time. Now I want to hear it ! DIO drowning in the cold lake of the mystic dragon.

OZZY and Dio are the best friend in the world as we can see on this picture:

Who said the heavy metal is cheesy ?

WHO SAID THAT ???

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 29, 2006 19:35     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Sacred Heart" tour (the one where he fought the mechanical giant robot knights and dragons onstage) was the first show i ever got to go to w/o my 'rents.

fuckin a.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 29, 2006 21:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DIO was also my first concert and was one of the first metal singers I obessed with collecting. Everything from Elf, Rainbow. Sabbath, solo stuff, guest appearances on Kerry Livgrens album, whatever RJD sang on I tried tracking it down... that was a long time ago. I still listen to most of what he's don'e past and present, but I have yet to hear the live Holy Diver, although a good friend (not you Mez) said it was damn good but maybe it was for nostalgic reasons.

Ronnie's a fuckin living legend no IF, ANDS, or BUTS about it.

I was always waiting for a new Sabbath classic lineup album ever since the Reunion album with Selling My Soul & Psychoman, but they obviously couldn't write an entire album for some reason or another... damn shame. I would love to hear new material from HEAVEN & HELL, because I thought Dehumanizer was great and on par with the other 2 studsio albums Dio released with Sabbath.

time will tell

I do wonder if they would even be aloud to perform anything that Ozzy sang on originally... Sharon might have some kind of contract forbidding it!!!!

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 29, 2006 23:33     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Look don't misread me...obviously the guy is a legend. But listen to the 'new' Holy Diver and then ask yourself if he and the other old guys should try to keep it going. I say NO. Go back to the farm, work on your garden, get the fucking typewriter out and write a really good book about your lives.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted September 29, 2006 23:49     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Look don't misread me...obviously the guy is a legend. But listen to the 'new' Holy Diver and then ask yourself if he and the other old guys should try to keep it going. I say NO. Go back to the farm, work on your garden, get the fucking typewriter out and write a really good book about your lives.

i havent seen an ozzfest/sabbath show in the last few years, but i can say id rather see those guys flail about than any other band in creation.... bill ward . geezer. tony. all better than whatever bands we dig this minute.

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 30, 2006 10:55     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you even planning on reading those damned books you keep going on about, Mez?

Iommi is a Guitar God!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted September 30, 2006 14:15     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all!

For the best weeding out of FACTS from the many RUMORS, please see the practically-official site run by the great Joe Siegler at www.black-sabbath.com .

Here's the quick rundown as I see it, based on www.black-sabbath.com:

- Tony owns the name Black Sabbath, not Ozzy or that sheckel-hoarding twat Sharon. So, if he wanted to, he *could* call virtually anything he wanted "Black Sabbath."
-There WILL be a Sabbath w Dio box set coming out, and it will have two new songs that Tony and Dio worked on together. So far, there is no confirmed information as to who else is on the tracks, Geezer? Bill? We'll see...
- Someone mentioned that they should have changed the name when Ozzy left. First off, Ozzy didn't leave, he was kicked out. This was a big part of Bill Ward's eventual nervous breakdown, by his own admission - He loves Ozzy like a brother, and was the one to deliver the message that he was out. Secondly, Tony was persuaded on a couple occasions to use the name Black Sabbath when it wasn't going to be: The "Seventh Star" album was recored as a Tony Iommi album, they convinced him to keep the name for obvious ($) reasons. Another time was with the "Forbidden" album. It was either to be a Tony Iommi album, or released under a different name, it hadn't been solidified at the time of recording - Geezer quit when it was confirmed that it would be released as "Black Sabbath," it was RECORDED as a non-Sabbath album, interviews w Geezer say so.
-Nothing is confirmed in terms of this Heaven & Hell thing, but no one has actively denied it either. As far as I'm concerned, the "source" on this is one single site, from friggin Spain, and everything is UNCONFIRMED. So all of this talk is basically taking the ball and running with it.
-I think the WORST possible thing to happen would be to have so many rumors floating around, because both sides will get pressed for confirmation, and no one wants to be painted into the corners of YES or NO. Whatever is going to happen is what's going to happen, don't rock the boat!
-Rumor-spreading is a waste of time, leave the gossip for housewives and the clucking women who comment at Blabbermouth. Get the facts.

That being said, I'm GREATLY looking forward to seeing what develops. Dehumanizer is a fucking incredible album, much overlooked!

All the best,
PAULIE

PS Voivoooooooooooooood!

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 30, 2006 15:50     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope it's all true.

I also want Sabbath to make that one final album with Ozzy again, too.

Maybe in 2008, the 30 yr anniversary of his departure? I hate it when bands purposefully WAIT for shit like that

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 30, 2006 16:50     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno know if rumors like this are really all that bad.

As Paulie pointed out though, there are some things about this rumor that most definitly ring false. The most glaring of those being the name change and Bill Ward's potential involvement (though IMO it would be awsome).

Iommi and Butler are certainly still in top form and seem more than capable of putting together some mighty new Sabbath material with either Ozzy or Dio. Like Nuke, I'd love to hear at least one more new Ozzy/Sabbath album but if he (or his wife) are not willing to participate in this, then it would be great if the band moved forward with Dio. They really opened the gates with Dehumanizer in '92 and I'll bet they could do it again.

Basically, I just fucking love Black Sabbath and I think they could still show this whole metal genre (that they spawned) a thing or two.

man, I do go on and on... I need to get out of the house today

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 30, 2006 17:09     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:

Basically, I just fucking love Black Sabbath and I think they could still show this whole metal genre (that they spawned) a thing or two.

Exactly!! They don't suck, that would be the only reason NOT to continue.

I don't underdstand what is so hectic with Ozzy's schedule to fucking get with these guys and make an album, or do it separately, shit. He didn't even do the whole Ozzfest tour this year, and his kids are grown up. He has no grandkids does he? It makes no sense, he is just basically sitting on his laurels. I'm certainly not holding my breath for that every-five-years new Ozzy album

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan