my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivodian Classical Music

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivodian Classical Music
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted September 09, 2006 15:10     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is some Voivodian classical music?

I just heard "Piano Sonata no. 1" by Alberto Ginastera, it totally blew me away, it's like Voivod Nothingface or Don Caballero.

I also just heard String Quartet #4 by Shostakovich, also very Voivodian. I'll have to check out his other stuff, it's also very much in a similar vein to good Bartok stuff.

The string quartets by Bartok of course, and Stravinsky's Rites of Spring.

What other classical music could you see Piggy having made if he stuck with violin or played piano instead of guitar?

|  IP: Logged
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted September 09, 2006 16:35     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shostakovich is my favourite composer. Check out the 8th Symphony. It was said of him that he had the unique knack of writing music that was challenging and in some ways unorthodox, but was simultaneously catchy enough that the workers of Leningrad could be heard whistling it in the streets.

If you want an extreme example of "dissonance" in music, try Schoenberg. Once experienced, never forgotten...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 09, 2006 17:34     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Funny you guys mention that - I was watching a Shostakovich recital on the television earlier this evening (part of the BBC's Proms Season) because the young lady violinist had a fucking awesome pair of bazooms.

Had the sound off.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 09, 2006 20:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
She has a really nice face.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 10, 2006 01:14     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Really? hehe.

I'm a bit fond of...well, I don't know how to spell his name. Crap. Gorecki?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 11, 2006 09:16     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of which, can anyone pinpoint to me the Stravinski rip-off part of "Missing Sequences"? I've been wondering for years...
anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted September 11, 2006 21:55     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Stravinsky part? At 1:41 in Pre-Ignition...

Just checked out a cd of Alberto Ginastera string quartets from the library! It's awesome, just like that Stravinsky part and Bartok string quartets.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 11, 2006 22:07     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of Bartok, he had a violin concerto..want to say #2 that is brilliant. Something many of you would enjoy. I was always struck by the opening passage....comes through to hit you over the head like a bulldozer.
Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted September 12, 2006 02:09     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool suggestions.

Nice one.

One fine day, I picked up the soundtrack to the romantic movie "The Shining" (vinyl) and discovered dissonant music. There's Bartok on it, plus one of my two faves in things modern classic music:

György Ligeti (totally weird with humour) and
Krisztof Penderecki (totally weird without any humour).

I recommend "nigtly metamorphosis" by Ligeti, which really gets crazy and progressive, but just using violins instead of metal guitars.

Also very interesting in things weirdness:
The Dream Of Jacob by Penderecki (feat. on The Shining soundtrack);
Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima, by the same composer. Really horrible, I listened to this under the influence of weed once, and you can really listen to the bomb falling down, plus people crying etc.
Not your everyday fun music.

Further, I loved A Survivor From Warsaw by Arnold Schoenberg. Very dramatic...

A Classic heavy (metal) sounding piece to me is of course Vivaldi's Summer (part of the Four Seasons)...

But please, try to listen to The Dream Of Jacob by Penderecki; you'll never be the same, I promise !

Cheers

--------------------

What the...?

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted September 12, 2006 04:59     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also like a lot of what's been mentioned here already, and was recently listening to Shostakovich's symphonies for the first time. Very mournful, very Russian!

I find myself very much it home with minimalism too: Steve Reich, Harold Budd, Satie and Terry Riley, I'd recommend. I also think they're important influences on much of the music we're drawn to.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted September 12, 2006 09:18     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth_Mothman:
I find myself very much it home with minimalism too: Steve Reich, Harold Budd, Satie and Terry Riley, I'd recommend. I also think they're important influences on much of the music we're drawn to.

Satie is great! I saw a performance of a Reich piece once, it was great!

Also let's not forget Ravel and Debussy! Oh, and why not: Zappa also wrote "serious" orchestral music. I highly recommand the Yellow Shark.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan