my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Guitar advice needed (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Guitar advice needed
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 30, 2006 12:55     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi fellas,

i used to play guitar when i was about 12 yrs old and haven't done it ever since. But i want to pick it up again only then slightly differently. This is my idea.

I am going to buy a decent electric guitar! But the thing i always wanted to learn to play is thrash. The kind of guitar you hear when you play "Ride the Lightening" - by Metallica or even better "THrash Attack" by Destruction. You know what i mean? The question is how do you get such a sound. What technique, how do i use the plectrum and most important: what kind of guitar or amplifier should i buy? I hope some of you are willing to teach me this.

thanks.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 30, 2006 13:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would ask Emlyn K.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 30, 2006 13:06     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I would ask Emlyn K.

Allright then: Emlyn could you please give me some advice?

thanks

Others that want to share, please do...

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted August 30, 2006 13:19     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Think twice before getting one with a tremolo/whammy bar. I have it, never use it and it's a bitch if you want to change tunings often.

I think i will try to find something cheap for the Frosty B tuning someday. heavy heavy.

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted August 30, 2006 13:25     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Buy a cheap guitar, some good strings and a good distortion pedal. Learn to play. THEN buy a nice guitar.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 30, 2006 15:26     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Golly, cheers for the vote of confidence mez!

Paul - you live in Holland, right? Thomann is where I get all my gear these days. You could get a reasonable quality LTD package like this for 240 euros.

Work out how much you want to spend (about 250-300 euros) and go for a guitar you like the look of. You gotta like it enough to want to pick it up every day.

The amps these things come with won't sound like Ride The Lightning - but nothing does. You can get Behringer pedals for 20 euros these days, or a multi-fx thing for 50.

If you're absolutly determined to play thrash, and have a spare 800 euros, don't fuck about - get one of these babys. The difference between an 800 euro guitar and a 200 one is that it's easier to play, sounds better, stays in tune and makes you to take it seriously because you just spent a shitload of cash on it, and your woman will give you hassle if you don't.

Anyway, once you actually have the thing - heres how you learn to play guitar:

1. Pick up the guitar and play it until your fingers hurt, then stop.

2. Do it again the next day. It doesn't matter what you play - just let your fingers do their thing.

3. Do it again the next day, and every day after that for ever. I'm not joking. If you stop, you begin to suck very quickly.

4. After about a year and a half you should be able to play For Whom The Bell Tolls all the way through - except the solos

5. After two and a half years you can play Ride The Lightning and have a fair crack at the solos.

6. After four years you might do a passable impression of Creeping Death

7. After 17 years I'm still trying to get past the first few bars of Fight Fire with Fire. That shits FAST!

Good luck. Playing guitar makes you look even cooler than smoking pastel-coloured cigarettes.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 30, 2006 15:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Emlyn, i was planning on buying a cheap guitar but changed my mind now. Gotta talk my lady into this idea. €800,- is a shitload of money. Some friends of mine play in bands, maybe they know of any alternative (not the type of guitar, only the price!!)
My fingers itch already to get started.

--------------------

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 30, 2006 16:18     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get a cheap ESP or Jackson guitar. Be prepared to spend around 300 Euros. If you're interested in a Jackson, this is a great resource for advice http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/index.php I spend most of my online time there.

The reviews at Harmony Central for Jackson and ESP are pretty helpful too http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/

You may want to put a set of Dean Markley custom light strings on it. The top 3 are a bit thicker for crunchy rhythms and the bottom 3 are a bit thinner for leads. Those are the strings Hetfield uses. I use them too.

For versatility in your sound you may want to get a Line 6 Spider II amp. The 75 watt version is around $200 US and has tons of built in effects and amp models. That way you can dial in that perfect thrash/death/traditional/whatever sound and you won't need one of those noisy Metal Zone pedals.

Have fun!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 30, 2006 17:37     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If the Mayor's rig doesn't get you the Ride The Lightning sound, I don't know what will!

If it gets you the RRROOOAAARRR!!! sound I suggest you consult an qualified service engineer.

Paul - never mind about what strings or picks or pedals and shit, just save up as much as you and the missus feel ok spending on a piece of painted wood, go into a guitar shop and try a bunch of them. Ask for something with hot humbuckers, a fixed bridge, and an airbrushed womans face on the front.

Don't get a BC Rich unless you have over a grand. The cheap ones are NASTY.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 30, 2006 19:18     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

Don't get a BC Rich unless you have over a grand. The cheap ones are NASTY.

Agreed! They are pure shite. Play a bunch of different stuff - Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, whatever. Different neck radius and whatnot. Get whatever feels most comfortable.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 30, 2006 21:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't consider myself a guitar player by any stretch of the imagination; however, after my brother in law asked for his Digitech processor back a few years ago, I desided to be cheap and buy a Behringer processor. To make a long story short I HATED THE SOUND gave it to my step brother and bought another Digitech which gives you a shitload of great preset tones and sounds and if you're inclined you can set you're own... I'm too lazy and not good enough to tweek it any farther than what it comes with, but I gotta say, even though I just fuck around with my axe from time to time, this processor makes playing fun and makes me sound 1/2 decent

Good luck Paul, let us know when you form a band or go on tour... I figure H might need anoth lead or rhythm man in a few years for one of his many bands, so get your demo cd together

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 31, 2006 06:56     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Good luck Paul, let us know when you form a band or go on tour... I figure H might need anoth lead or rhythm man in a few years for one of his many bands, so get your demo cd together

Bwhahahahaha... Good one. The only tunes i know at this very moment are: fur elise and house of the rising sun. Have to practice some...

--------------------

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted August 31, 2006 07:43     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

the offending piece of wood

It's a 1972 SG copy, complete with cracked machinehead

Through the mickey mouse noisemaster 3001 (also known as the orange box from hell) it makes an awefull lot of racket. i love it.

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent à supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted August 31, 2006 11:40     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I started 3 years ago almost for a joke with a friend, I have a pod 2.0 and a Yamaha (don't remember the model) 200 + 320 Euros.

I connected the pod with my pc for setting up the tones and then I connect it to my Stereo (well not really a stereo) to play and have fun.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 31, 2006 16:44     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wish i could help you but i know nothing about gear and stuff... i play cheap ass Samick guitar that i bought in '92 which has a broken neck since 1996 (it holds with stamples!), a beaten-to-all-fuck Fender amp and Boss MetalZone pedal with a couple of missing knobs.

Hehe.

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted August 31, 2006 21:30     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How much do you want to spend there Paul?

Personally, I'd suggest getting something like a midrange Ibanez. They don't have the same crushing kewlness of the ESPs but should be decent for a guitar to learn on.
Like this one
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_ibanez_rg321mhwk_prodinfo.html

Get yourself a practise amp, say 15 or 30 watts or so with built in distortion and reverb channels - like this
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_marshall_mg30dfx_prodinfo.html

If you aren't happy with the amp distortion sound then invest in a pedal.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 01, 2006 09:25     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
(it holds with stamples!)

Stamples? Are those some sort of fix-up-yer-guitar thingys?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 07, 2006 02:23     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So Paul are you practicing HERE yet?
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 07, 2006 03:08     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
So Paul are you practicing HERE yet?

Haha, i watched this at work with no sound. Watching his fingers he is pretty fast...

I found this Epiphone Explorer for $500,- second hand. But my wife told me to hold my horses for the time being for other things to buy first. FOOK

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 08, 2006 06:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7370023627894437872&q=guitars+suck+1&hl=en
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 08, 2006 06:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
in that first segment of Mez's link you would think that guys that good could afford a second guitar

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 09, 2006 06:49     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He, people. I bought a guitar. Explorer by Epiphone. a black one.

I followed your advice not to buy a cheap one and just pick one i liked hang it around my neck and feel. Wow was that a feeling!! I bought an amplifier "VOX" along with it. The man in the shop showed me some tricks to get some nice tunes out of it. It is second hand but looking as new.

Now i need to practice a lot. I do not know all the chords (most of them i don't
)

All together it costed me around $600,-

Now i want to learn "Return to the Eve" wich looks not so difficult to learn to me. Has anyone the tabs to that song?

Again thank you all for your kind advice and i hope i made the right choice.

I talked to a friend of mine who is in a band, "Vrolijk Pasen" what means happy easter. He is going away for a year abroad. He asked me to take over his place. They play songs like Bon Jovi, Rage against the machine. I do not know if this is going to work on such a short notice. We'll see....

--------------------

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted September 09, 2006 06:54     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here ya go:
Bunch of Frost tabs

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 09, 2006 14:07     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hooray! That's Paul! Now your boys will want one too.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted September 09, 2006 20:20     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Hooray! That's Paul! Now your boys will want one too.

I think so too. I will be going to a Iron Maiden concert with my Mille. Should protect his ears real good.

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan