my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Do you feel old yet? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Do you feel old yet?
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 29, 2006 12:55     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1975 vs 2005

1975: Long hair

2005: Longing for hair

1975: KEG

2005: EKG

1975: Acid rock

2005: Acid reflux

1975: Moving to California because it's cool

2005: Moving to Arizona because it's warm

1975: Tryin to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

2005: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1975: Seeds and stems

2005: Roughage

1975: Hoping for a BMW

2005: Hoping for a BM

1975: Going to a new, hip joint

2005: Receiving a new hip joint

1975: Rolling Stones

2005: Kidney Stones

1975: Being called into the principal's office

2005: Calling the principal's office

1975: Screw the system

2005: Upgrade the system

1975: Disco

2005: Costco

1975: Parents begging you to get your hair cut

2005: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1975: Passing the drivers' test

2005: Passing the vision test

1975: Whatever

2005: Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change things.. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1987.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced before they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 29, 2006 14:44     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today: 39 years old. I feel old.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 29, 2006 16:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
interesting list.

I'm 41 but don't feel or act old. Major reason is because of the music I listen to keeps me young and demented. The main difference from being young to how I am now is I used to drink beer like it was going out of style back then, but now I rarely have one or 2 a month!!! Other then that and more bills and responsibilities, I'm not much different... for better or worse. I think I'm in almost as good shape as when I was running in high school and college, although I tend to do more work around the house right now instead of working out, but it seems to keep me in decent shape.

You're only as old as ya think or act you are.

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted August 29, 2006 17:56     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1975: 6 yrs. old
2005: I'm too fucking old!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 29, 2006 18:13     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I watched some old thrash live cuts on YouTube today, and realised they were shot twenty fucking years ago. I feel old.

Then again, my dad is 61, in pretty good shape and still plays and listens to music actively. The future suddenly looks brighter! I only hope I'll stay healthy and won't lose my hearing before I meet the worms.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 29, 2006 19:59     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
40 in March and I don't care

In 1975 a man by the name of Ian Kilminster formed a band called Motorhead. They changed the face of music fundamentally. 31 years on and he's still going like a good un. 31 years on I'm still listening to metal and loving it. Motorhead made me realise there was a whole lot of different music out there. Motorhead are the reason I still stretch out my musical boundaries and I have no intention to rein them in.

We are the lucky ones. The youth of today shit out big time

--------------------

Hail Santa...

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 30, 2006 01:52     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnickerZohnonnof:

Good God, you are right. Even when we were kids, we'd dig backwards to find music we'd missed, so I'd be willing to bet all of us are well-versed in everything from at least the '60s and forward. Kids now have been taught that "right now" is all there ever was and they're not digging to find how music evolved into the shit it's become.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted August 30, 2006 04:40     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnickerZohnonnof:

Thats not true - when I was 16 I mostly listened to albums from 10-15 years earlier. I spoke to a 17 year old the other day who knew more about Celtic Frost than I do! Last time I saw Motorhead/Anthrax (2002) there were all ages there, it was real healthy.

When you were 17 did you just like whatever music was shown on TV or did you scan through magazines and dodgy record shops to find the cool stuff? Seeing as we're on Voivodfan I'm guessing it was the latter.

Anyway, I'm 32 and I feel 10 years younger than I did 10 years ago.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted August 30, 2006 07:18     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Im 27. All of a sudden i feel pretty young again

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Quazar
VoivodFan
Member # 800

posted August 30, 2006 11:07     Profile for Quazar   Email Quazar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm 21 and the bad trip begin about growing old, but soon I'll fell younger.

--------------------

Party de l'interzone!

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted August 30, 2006 11:56     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn! Now i feel old again

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 30, 2006 11:56     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Thats not true - when I was 16 I mostly listened to albums from 10-15 years earlier. I spoke to a 17 year old the other day who knew more about Celtic Frost than I do! Last time I saw Motorhead/Anthrax (2002) there were all ages there, it was real healthy.

You missed the point - they weren't there to experience it for the first time - we were

When you were 17 did you just like whatever music was shown on TV or did you scan through magazines and dodgy record shops to find the cool stuff? Seeing as we're on Voivodfan I'm guessing it was the latter.

Anyway, I'm 32 and I feel 10 years younger than I did 10 years ago.[/qb][/QUOTE]

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted August 30, 2006 13:37     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm 35, but I'm still 25 in my head/heart...

Age is all in the head, it's just a matter of staying young at heart and taking care of yourself...

I do have my lil' aches and pains here and there, but nothing that's slowing me down...

And playing in my hardcore band keeps me top-shape

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted August 30, 2006 15:53     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
36 over here
feeling i just come out of my mama... need something to suck pronto

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 30, 2006 21:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to love digging thru record stores and going to record shows and finding cool shit that would blow my mind. I got turned on to Budgie because I found Never Turn Your Back On A Friend at a show and since it had a Roger Dean cover and it was $1.00 I bought it... one spin and I was hooked. Ray Dorsey (local Balto metal head - CHAOS fanzine creator - freak and allround cool mutha) hooked me up with the Nuns Have No Fun from Mercyful Fate at a show. A place called Vinyl Discoveries was my heaven and the guys who worked there knew my taste in music and I'd buy anything they suggested without listening to it first. Discovering new music and great bands is still as much fun these days, but it's a lot harder to find them or I have a more discerning ear than back then.

feeling nostalgic now, thanks

--------------------

yawn

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted August 31, 2006 21:40     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
33 and my old fat ass drags everywhere I go.
Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted August 31, 2006 23:56     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
33 or 34 in November. After every gig I feel tired and old... But from heart and mind Im young as 16 old kid.
neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted September 01, 2006 00:48     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
....a perfect description for this topic-"chronocraze"(also the title of an old Obliveon song from their 1990 demo)...turned 37yrs old back on the 19th...aside from seeing a few signs of the "greys"(some strands in my hair and on my beard),I really don't feel my age...it's the music(I particularly relish the crazier,faster stuff as i get older--new Cannibal Corspe cd slays,Slayer is starting to grow on me). I'm still as much into sci-fi and horror since I was five...I do the "exercise" thing ocassionally to keep in decent shape..There's still so many bands out there I want to hear so I'll never get sick of music as long as my health and cognition still stand(examples of encouragement-Lemmy,almost 60yrs old,still playin loud music,drinkin and chasin' the birds)...
---------------------------------------------..."Mr.Clean kills germs,removall!"

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted September 01, 2006 03:55     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

...I think you just summed up my life thus far.

Dang...this thread makes me feel young!

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted September 01, 2006 06:19     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, just startet my 31th leageseason soccer..., I guess I'm getting old, because some players from our team call me Mr..

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted September 01, 2006 08:45     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm 35 and farts still make me laugh.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted September 01, 2006 09:22     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still look 14.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted September 01, 2006 09:50     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I felt old today. I'm 31. A girl, age 21, talked with me about music.

She said: "I like The Strokes."
I said: "Ah, The Strokes."
She: "Wow, you know The Strokes, really?"

WTF, am I her grandpa?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 01, 2006 17:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
I still look 14.

you still ACT 14

--------------------

yawn

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted September 01, 2006 19:16     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
you still ACT 14

HAHAHA!

I'm 36 and going to be in mom in a few months - that is the only reason I sometimes feel OLD these days. Other than that, I've always felt younger than I am and if people still want to say I look 26, then that's fine with me too!

quote:
Originally posted by chaosmongirll:

Dang...this thread makes me feel young!

Again, HAHAHAHA!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan