my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Angel Rat.. what would you do (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Angel Rat.. what would you do
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 21, 2006 11:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GOOD POINT. Grunge did put out the fire on a lot of bands, but Voivod did continue and created some amazing albums over the grunge years, just like lots of other talented metal/thrash bands. The great ones are still around because the fans still supported them. I enjoy a lot of bands from the grunge period and once again the talented bands and musicains from that era are still with us because they make great music. Bottom line for me is, great music is timeless and unless your a musician who is just writting the flavor of the month you can stay "in the game" until you deside to quit. Look at bands from the late 60's and 70's who are still creating, like King Crimson, Deep Purple, Rush, Peter Gabriel, BOC, Priest, etc who are still writting great music and I'm thrilled they haven't gone away because of passing trends.

This has been an interesting topic, for sure.

--------------------

yawn

|  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 21, 2006 11:57     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
What I'd like to know is:

Rrroooaaarrr! - what would you do?

It's flawed as hell, the production's frankly awful and yet I think it's one of the most blisteringly heavy albums ever made. Tracks like thrashing rage - I couldn't imagine it sounding any other way. Korgull the exterminator is one of the most chilling tracks voivod ever penned. Helldriver, to the death...Primitive yes but also plain brilliant as well.

What would I change? The drum sound is the worst part of it really they sound like pillows most of the time and IMO would need a pretty hefty rework. Although the guitar sound isn't to everyone's taste I think it suits the album well and would change little here. The bass guitar has no weight at all - a little experimentation here wouldn't go amiss.

Even so, I forgive this album is many sound and mixing flaws because at the time I bought it I thought it was like a breath of fresh air.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted August 21, 2006 18:16     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"....I'll never listen...." ( ) to Angel Rat any other way! What the hell to I know about production and such
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted August 22, 2006 11:09     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the better question is "what would jesus do?"
He'd turn up the guitars, walk on a mud puddle, bring peace to the chaos in the studio, put Blacky in the foto and prolly love it just the way it is, like i does.
I've been listening to it a lot lately & still digging Clouds in My House!
As someone mentioned above, lyrically it is one of my faves.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 22, 2006 12:03     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I would detune the guitar, use blastbeats, re-arrange the songs, gag and tie up Terry and make him watch and listen as Korgull mutates into a supreme killing virus. The muffled moans and gurgles from Terry could be used as backing vocals or a nice intro.

Sounds like Carcass circa 1989

--------------------

Hail Santa...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 23, 2006 06:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NONE OF THE ABOVE is probably hands down my favorite Voivod song for it's ingenius lyrics. the play on words in that song are fuckin brilliant.
OK I'm taking it to work...again

--------------------

yawn

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 23, 2006 19:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I blasted AR on the way to work and TOL on the way home. Do you all know how GREAT VOIVOD is ? Fuck I love this band!!!!!!

--------------------

yawn

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted August 23, 2006 20:23     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yessir! I've been playin AR and TOL non stop in my car all week as I wait for Katorz in the Mail.With music that damn good, who cares about production!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan