my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Angel Rat.. what would you do (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Angel Rat.. what would you do
slaydesays
VoivodFan
Member # 911

posted August 19, 2006 05:23     Profile for slaydesays   Email slaydesays     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am new to this board.. I was listening to Angel Rat tonight, tweaking the eq on my player and I started thinking about how the general consensus on that record is that the mix is not very good for their music. What would you do?
Personally, I would fade the keyboards down, put a lot more low end on the drums and bass and turn Piggy waaay up. I have always thought that Away's drums sounded really flat (as opposed to the TOL, where they sound heavy as hell)and some of Piggy's more intricate parts get lost in the keys.

|  IP: Logged
JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 19, 2006 08:17     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like it the way it is, I would not want it to sound like other Voivod albums.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 19, 2006 09:14     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
have you ever listened to the demos from this album?

weve got them here:
http://www.voivodfan.com/media/index.php?q=f&f=%2F_Angel_Rat_Demos

might be a refreshing listen, haha.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 19, 2006 15:59     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zCthonz:
have you ever listened to the demos from this album?

weve got them here:
http://www.voivodfan.com/media/index.php?q=f&f=%2F_Angel_Rat_Demos

might be a refreshing listen, haha.

I've heard the demos before, they sound muddy & lack clarity like most early demos do, just no keyboards.

The album sounds better, as a pro recording should -guitar sounds great to me.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 19, 2006 20:16     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll tell you what I'm GOING to do...

I'm going to listen to Angel Rat right now.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 19, 2006 23:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked Angel Rat from the very first spin and still love it; however, after reading many years ago it led to Blacky departing the band I would have to say I would go back in time and change history and bring peace to the original band and tell the record company executives to butt the fuck out an let the band create the record without pressure of making a commercialized album. Not that I think the songs are commercial whatsoever, but I think Terry tried to make it more radio friendly instead of heavy. He just wasn't the right guy for the job.

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 19, 2006 23:38     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:

I've heard the demos before, they sound muddy & lack clarity .

Demos tend to sound like that.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 19, 2006 23:42     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
I liked Angel Rat from the very first spin and still love it; however, after reading many years ago it led to Blacky departing the band I would have to say I would go back in time and change history and bring peace to the original band and tell the record company executives to butt the fuck out an let the band create the record without pressure of making a commercialized album. Not that I think the songs are commercial whatsoever, but I think Terry tried to make it more radio friendly instead of heavy. He just wasn't the right guy for the job.

You bring so much thought into everything Dave, I admire that. Speak yer mind, it's there for a reason!

VV were under HUGE pressures during this process, and I am damn sure it created volatile environment(s). We cannot judge though, what happened happened, and that is it.

OH yeah I love Angel Rat, I didn't buy it till 95 but I cherish it like any other Voivod recording.

Korgullized till I die

--------------------

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 20, 2006 02:30     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
however, after reading many years ago it led to Blacky departing the band I would have to say I would go back in time and change history and bring peace to the original band and tell the record company executives to butt the fuck out an let the band create the record without pressure of making a commercialized album.

I'll bet there's a few musicians I'm thinking of that would now agree with your statement...15 years later.

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 20, 2006 05:37     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:

Demos tend to sound like that.

Well I did say that demos "sound like that" in my original post so there is no need to point it out to me. The sound being my whole point.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted August 20, 2006 06:19     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought it the day it came out and was so disappointed. It was clear that pressure had been brought to bear to make the band more radio friendly and my personal opinion is that the album is one of their weakest. Mind you that's by VoiVod standards so bear that comment in mind! I gave it a spin when I saw this thread and my opinion hasn't changed. I'd file it under 'for the completist'.

Sound wise it's just too commercial, almost REM like. How to improve? Just give the bass and drums more depth and allow the instruments generally to breathe a bit to inject some atmosphere. They sound so compressed and claustrophobic it's almost like it was recorded in a tin.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 20, 2006 06:38     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnickerZohnonnof:
I bought it the day it came out and was so disappointed. It was clear that pressure had been brought to bear to make the band more radio friendly and my personal opinion is that the album is one of their weakest. Mind you that's by VoiVod standards so bear that comment in mind! I gave it a spin when I saw this thread and my opinion hasn't changed. I'd file it under 'for the completist'.

Sound wise it's just too commercial, almost REM like. How to improve? Just give the bass and drums more depth and allow the instruments generally to breathe a bit to inject some atmosphere. They sound so compressed and claustrophobic it's almost like it was recorded in a tin.

I see nothing wrong with a commercial sound, adding depth/removing compression I don't think would change the fact that the songs themselves are commercial or poppy by nature anyway. Listen to snakes vocals, so many pretty melodies, that is how they wrote the album, pop melodies based around Piggy's unique guitar work.

It sounds like an Indie pop album in some areas and for me the fact that an obscure metal band could do that and do it successfully is great.

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted August 20, 2006 06:55     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've often wondered what Angel Rat might have sounded like with Glenn Robinson at the production helm.
A better bass sound for starters. A bit more of an overall edge too I suspect.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 20, 2006 07:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lyrically Angel Rat is brilliant, and an evolutionary step for the band. I listen to it all the time still. I certainly see nothing wrong with a band wanting to gain a bigger audience, and Voivod definitley didn't compromise their song writting on Angel Rat. There is nothing on this album that seems like it was written for commercial success, just the production seemed cleaner. It's funny, now that I think about it, this has been one of my favorite albums since the day it came out but in hindsight I'd be interested in how the same songs would have sounded if the knobs and sliders were tweeked by someone else. The demos give us some insight to what it could have sounded like, but to hear a final version of that would be interesting.

Yes, I can't change history and I still enjoy how everything panned out for the band and what Blacky has created after this album.

--------------------

yawn

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 20, 2006 07:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Mr. White Hair" (as Blacky calls him)...Terry Brown...is one of the best Producers on the planet.
How is it that Rush sound so brilliant over the years, yet many here think he mucked-up Angel Rat?

I know Rush and Voivod are completely different bands but the concepts for the capturing of each instrument remain the same.
For Mr. Brown's technique anyway.

I dont think that Terry was under such pressure to make Voivod more "Radio-friendly" as we think.
I believe it to be a case of him just doing what he thought was best.
This, of course, conflicting with what Blacky had in mind for the bottom sound.
Terry should have listened to what Blacky was suggesting.

Seems to me that there was a personal chemistry conflict with Terry that ended up effecting the relationship of the whole band.
Blacky probably knew they were being used by MCA and could no longer tollerate it.
A clear example of all the bands who were used and then thrown out...is reflected in anyone who had to wear a Pirate Shirt in a Video durring that time period. lol!

Blacky was so right in many ways...as Voivod have never been the same much since then.

Angel Rat sounds just fine to me the way it is.
I will always highly respect Terry Brown.
I also highly respect Blacky.
Its sad to me that the chemistry between the two didnt work out.
If Terry would have listened to Blacky like he listened to Geddy Lee (Rush) for so many years...the final mix would be better, although i love it the way it is.

Its all just my humble opinion though.
Not trying to speak for Blacky and anyone can correct me where i am wrong.

Cheers to Angel Rat and the great music on it!

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted August 20, 2006 08:15     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's one of their best albums, as good as Hatross was dense, uncompromising & complex -I even prefer it to Nothingface. I hold The outer limits in high regard too.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 20, 2006 09:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love what Terry has done for so many other bands from Rush to Fates Warning etc... and yes I love Angel Rat but in retrospect he probably wasn't the right one for the band to work with... besides, with everything that was happening behind the scenes while the album was being made it didn't even become a huge success for the band because if it did, at least it would have been a nice consulation considering all the bad feelings that were going on inside the group. Hell, if the album would have sold a million copies at least there would have been something to say "see, this worked". However, the album was just purchased by the same hardcore fans that had been buying their stuff all along. Many of us love the album (like me) and many fans didn't understand it.

Voivod is similar to King Crimson in this respect where they wrote great music and some fans "got it" and some lost touch with the direction. I've always enjoyed bands that challenged their audience.

--------------------

yawn

jf
VoivodFan
Member # 645

posted August 20, 2006 10:54     Profile for jf   Email jf     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Angel Rat.. what would you do ?

Listen to it again and again

--------------------

(11) Le texte original dit quatorze, mais maintes raisons invitent ŕ supposer que, dans la bouche d'Astérion, ce nombre représente l'infini.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 20, 2006 15:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manipulatör:
Listen to it again and again

good answer

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 20, 2006 21:17     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since the issue of the relationships between the band, producer, and record label has arisen, I feel I should speak on it. We recently worked with a "known" producer. It didn't go exactly the way we wanted it to either. Since then, I've learned a alot.

In Terry Brown's case, he may very well be "one of the best producers on the planet", but not for Voivod's sound. A producer should be able to capture the true sound of the band while maximizing the potential for the record.

With that said, my experience has been that established producers also seem to be set in the ways that they do things, regardless of which artist they are working with. In our case, our more "radio-ish" songs came out great, while our heavier music suffered at his hands. Our producer was so set on doing things his way that he fought us over things, daily. I realized at that monent what Blacky had to deal with. We were paying this guy and he wouldn't even listen to our suggestions or desires for our songs. It's not supposed to be that way.

The approach to "capturing each instrument" can be the same from artist to artist, but it's how you handle it once you've got it that counts. I love Angel Rat in every way, but the band should have had more input.

Is it the producer's job to turn out his personal best at the expense of the artist's personnel? Well, our producer thought so too.

Ultimately, the band's name is on the cover and band will take the credit or the heat for what's in the wax. Whether you are a band or a label, you pay the producer to get the best out of the material and the band's performance of it. The band and/or label should have final say over what gets mastered.

As for Voivod, I was a bit surprised at the direction the songwriting took on Angel Rat, which has nothing to do with production. It's one my favorite Voivod records. I just wish they hadn't splintered during the process.

Sometimes, I still get the feeling there may have been issues brewing before Angel Rat.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 20, 2006 22:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great post Nothingface.

Speaking of producers, I'd love to see the band work with a classic producer like Martin Birch... he has had his hand in lots of my favorite albums by so many different bands and he's usually the producer of my favorite albums from the bands he's worked with. He knows how to make a band sound their best and still make them sound like they are suppose to without compromising anything. He has an amazing track record.

--------------------

yawn

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted August 21, 2006 01:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think AR is an amazing record. Personally, I think it sounds fantastic. About the pressure the guys were under, the tensions, and Blacky leaving, I don't feel it's my place to comment on that. That's between the members of the band and nobody else. Well, maybe Terry Brown, their manager at the time... Seriously, I wasn't there, most everyone here wasn't there, so I just don't think it's proper to "open old wounds" so to speak. After all, I'm pretty sure all the current and former members of the band pop in here to read on occasion. I'm sure even Piggy materializes here in cyberspace to check up on things now and then.

I do think it's cool to postulate the "what ifs" regarding an albums recording, gear used, mixes, etc. I remember a really intersting thread a couple of years ago on the braveboard (I think) where the topic was "What if Venom had a huge budget and a nice studio to record Welcome To Hell?" (I'm paraphrasing of course). Some neat ideas came up.

The main "beef" about the production is that it's not as "heavy" as it could have been. AR may not sound as "heavy" as Nothingface or Dimension Hatross, but a few things would have to have been done differently to make it "heavier".
The drums sound great, and there's absolutely no need to change that, imo. Same with Snake's vocals. His best singing ever, bar none. Then we come to the points everyone seems to hover around - bass and guitar.
More distortion and bottom end on the bass sounds great in theory, but I don't think it wouldn't have mixed right with the guitar tone Piggy has on the album. It would just plain sound odd. Piggy's tone on AR is nowhere near as harsh and, well, Metal as on previous releases. His tone is very lush and full. Rush and Fates Warning guitar tones come to mind, of couse. I'd love to know what gear he was recording with on those sessions.

I agree it would be cool to hear it with full out Marshall stacks, overdriven to hell and the blower bass raging as well, but AR is the way it is and there nothing anyone can do about it, save for re-recording it. With the guitar and bass sounds of Nothingface mixed with AR's drums and vocals...holy fuck that would have been a monster!

Again, I love AR. It's a unique part of the Voivod legacy, just like every album is. Each one has it's own sound, it's own flavour, and that's one of the great things about them.

What I'd like to know is:

Rrroooaaarrr! - what would you do?

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted August 21, 2006 07:44     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
I think AR is an amazing record. Personally, I think it sounds fantastic. About the pressure the guys were under, the tensions, and Blacky leaving, I don't feel it's my place to comment on that. That's between the members of the band and nobody else. Well, maybe Terry Brown, their manager at the time... Seriously, I wasn't there, most everyone here wasn't there, so I just don't think it's proper to "open old wounds" so to speak. After all, I'm pretty sure all the current and former members of the band pop in here to read on occasion. I'm sure even Piggy materializes here in cyberspace to check up on things now and then.

i'll second that statement!

i love AngelRat as it is.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 21, 2006 08:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point Nuc Vamp, I guess I was doing a "what if" kinda like "what if" Gilmour and Water never fought, or what if Yoko Ono never met John Lennon. I can't change history, and I also know we have been given lots of great and different Voivod albums since AR and Blacky has been involved with many cool projects since this time. I guess I was just wondering what the history would have been if things were different... just like "what if" Superman landed in Germany... a great Saturday Night Live skit from many years ago

Anyway, in regards to your next question:
What I'd like to know is:
Rrroooaaarrr! - what would you do?

Personally, I would like to Snake sing in the voice he later found when recording Dimension Hatross and onward. If he knew then what he knew know about how he wanted to vocalize his lyrics, then both RRROOOAAARRR & WAR AND PAIN would be completely different sounding albums... and I'd listen to them more. I know a lot of you love his raw vocals on those records but Snake became unique and really stood out for be starting with Killing Technology and just evolved from there into one of the greatest vocalists in music history.

--------------------

yawn

slaydesays
VoivodFan
Member # 911

posted August 21, 2006 10:45     Profile for slaydesays   Email slaydesays     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wow.. there are some great comments being made on AR. I bought AR when it first came out and like some others, I was a bit disappointed at first (I think I was stupidly expecting Nothingface part II) but then I came to love it (and it is now one of my favorites). The only reason I brought up the topic for discussion was after I had listened to the AR demos, I gained a completly new and different perspective on the songs. Yes.. even though technically they are the same songs, those versions have a completly different character and to me sound like they have more energy and life. The live performance of Freedoom on DVOD1 gave me even more pause... I think that version is better than the album version by far. I could see why Blacky may not have been happy with the results of the final mix. And yes, at the time of AR's release, they were under tremendous pressure from the record company to succeed. I have always had this theory (and some of you who were around then may or may not agree with) that Angel Rat's lack of success (I believe that Nothingface was more comercially sucessful than AR) had a lot more to do with what was going on at the time than the actual record itself. (and possibly the fact that they didn't tour for AR) I do believe that it was released right around the same time that Nevermind came out. If you all will remember correctly, the ushering in of the "grunge" era was a very detrimental time for the metal scene as a whole. While killing off all of the "hair" bands (which we all agree was a good thing) , I think a lot of really talented metal bands were swept away as well. I think voivod got thrown under the bus by two different camps: those who thought they weren't grunge enough to be cool and the hardcore voivod fans (you know who you are) accused them of being "sell-outs".

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan