my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » JASON NEWSTED: 'VOIVOD Are One Of The Most Underrated And Unrecognized Outfits In Met

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JASON NEWSTED: 'VOIVOD Are One Of The Most Underrated And Unrecognized Outfits In Met
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 15, 2006 15:35     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ON BBM:

Justin Donnelly of Australia's The Metal Forge recently conducted an interview with VOIVOD/ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

On how VOIVOD's new album, "Katorz", has been received by critics and fans:

"The reviews are something I definitely care about man. I try not to let it affect me too much, especially if there's any negativity, but thankfully there isn't that much for 'Katorz'! (Laughs) So far, it's been working out good! It's all been positive vibes from people, because they know that it's true.

"Fans of VOIVOD are real music fans. They're practiced and seasoned listeners. You have to be a little more than the everyday sort of music listener to really get into VOIVOD. It's those people that realize how cool this album is, and they've given us nothing but positive vibes.

"I think this album has every chance of being one of VOIVOD's biggest albums. I guess the reason I care so much is because I want for D'Amour's family, along with Bélanger and Langevin, to be able to reap what they really have deserved all along.

"VOIVOD are one of the most underrated and unrecognized outfits in metal. You know it and I know it. They really deserve the recognition from this generation of metal music lovers who don't quite know about VOIVOD and their incredible influence throughout the years. This generation really needs to hear this, and realize where the bands they dig now come from. I mean, where did these new bands get their ideas for the dissonant chords and all those crazy sounds? That would be from D'Amour's unique and inventive tunings! He composed all of the one hundred and eighty odd songs that VOIVOD has ever recorded, so he really made VOIVOD's sound. He invented that stuff! (Laughs)

"There are so many bands that are influenced by VOIVOD. Ask the guys in TOOL about where some of their craziness comes from. Ask Dave Grohl from the FOO FIGHTERS where all those dissonant guitar notes comes from. You know where it comes from. They would tell you straight up where all that comes from. To see VOIVOD finally get that recognition would be really cool. That's the reward I would like to see the most, along with some financial rewards. It's not something I'm after. I only hope this album is success is purely for them."

On the planned two sequel DVDs to follow up 2005's "D-V-O-D-1":

"Langevin has been compiling all kinds of footage for those. I think he has a plan for three instalments, or at least that's what I understand. The mid-period with Eric Forrest (1994 to 2001) will most likely be next. I don't think I start coming into the picture until the third one, if he plans to do them in a chronological manner, that is. We have a lot of footage for the third one, including some footage from the 2003 Ozzfest tour. That was the big tour year for the band, which was the biggest one for VOIVOD in a long time. We were opening for OZZY OSBOURNE across North America, and did some really cool big shows. There was a lot of hype and excitement, partly because I was playing with Osbourne at the same time as well. It was a great offer, an honour, and I loved doing it. There was no question about that. But it was also something to completely help VOIVOD. I was willing to give whatever I had to push that album. That whole summer we had a lot of opportunities to film with proper cameras from local and regional people, along with some friends who came out with some proper gear too to specifically record some shows as well. So there's a lot of stuff to choose from with number three, actually."

On VOIVOD's long-term plans:

"When it comes to predicting the future, that's a really tough question to answer. The way I see it, speaking to you in July 2006, there's really nobody that can take D'Amour's place. We could plan one big show, or a couple of shows together where there would be guest taking his place on a few songs. People like Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS) and Josh Homme (QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE) would certainly like to do that. But in regards to a full-fledged VOIVOD tour, I don't know how it would be possible. The way that he tuned, the way that he played, and the way he constructed all of the seeds for all VOIVOD compositions, that's some unfillable shoes to me. VOIVOD will be forever. The thing keeps going back into the ice, only to thaw back out and come back stronger. It's obvious that the thing will not die — ever! We have a lot of recorded stuff, and we have a lot of cool stuff from the Chophouse that people have never heard before. There's no telling what we will end up doing with that stuff. There's a lot of other tracks with Piggy playing, including him doing completely different styles and stuff, so there's no telling what could happen with a cool compilation in the future. But right now we have a good record to go on, and we'll see how people enjoy it and just try to realize what its all about. We'll get together when we can to formulate things for the other tracks, and get that out there to share with people again. Then there's the VOIVOD DVDs as well. There's still a lot of material that we plan on releasing to keep VOIVOD alive. So that's another couple of years away. We'll just see what happens from there. Having said that, switching on the current generation of players with new VOIVOD really does bode well with the future, even if just within that thought alone. And as long as Langevin stays at the helm as the brains of the outfit, D'Amour the heart and Bélanger the voice, I think VOIVOD could be forever."

Read the entire interview at www.themetalforge.com.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 15, 2006 15:41     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is sooo cool

--------------------

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 15, 2006 16:18     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that was nice.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 15, 2006 17:11     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul, and thanks Jason. Very cool!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted August 15, 2006 17:20     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think i heard Mezcals head explode right at about 'Josh Homme', haha.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 15, 2006 18:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Newsted has ALWAYS been concerned about how to help out the other guys in the band. He's used his resourses and his name to help get VOIVOD to another level and he's always pushed the name and promoted the band. Voivod was and always will be great with or without Jason, but Jason has been able to do things that nobody did for this band. There has never been this much publicity and promotion for a VOIVOD album. With having a great lable like THE END in their corner and the future finally looks bright on Morgth, it's just a damn shame it's so late and Denis isn't around to reap the benefits and bless us with his talent on stage.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 16, 2006 04:05     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That part about Dave Grohl didn't surpise me much. When I met him, we talked almost exclusively about Voivod. The part about Josh Homme really surprises me though. I've been a big fan of just about everything he's done. Like him or not, he's got it. Now I know where he got it from. Very cool.

Jason's devotion to Voivod is much deeper than I once thought, and I rather fancy being considered a "practiced and seasoned listener". Tomorrow, I'm buying a pipe and smoking jacket!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan