my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Pros and Cons with Katorz

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pros and Cons with Katorz
code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted August 15, 2006 05:41     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Post Pros and Cons about Voivods new album here!

PROS:

Crunchy, heavy, punky, dirty. Some more complex songs again like Dognation, Mr Clean, No Angel, Red My Mind. Great lyrics (As usual) Superb Interludes. Snakes Vocals, !Piggys guitars! Lots of Piggy chords and cool solos here and there. Nice drum sound.

CONS:

Some songs are too regular. No harmonies on the vocals at all . Not many effects on vocals either. Almost no Sci-Fi songs. More rocky than trippy. Some songs have too many repetitive verses and choruses.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

|  IP: Logged
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted August 15, 2006 06:36     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm fair-ish assessment. For me =

Pros;
great lyrics, totally foot-tapping catchiness, I like every song (only no angel has yet to grab me - although the opening is atmospheric)

Cons; Theres only 10 songs. Not enough solos or vocal FX or weird riffs.

But polaroids is hte best song I've heard in years. the imagry of the lyrics - zombies waking covered in snow and trekking off - wow. The chorus is perfect.

I think its a fantastic album. I had the download, but that merely whetted my appetite - with the lyrics songs like After all are just brilliant.

I don't mind the repetition either.

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 15, 2006 08:38     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I actually thought the lyrics were fairly weak. The vocal work is great - a good deal of the "harder" feel this one has is down to Snake - but the words themselves didn't really grip me.

That's my only real problem with it. Apart from that, it's as good as it was ever going to be. The self-titled was an album with Voivod bits. This is a Voivod album, and it's great.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 15, 2006 11:39     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I,d feel bad looking for cons for a record that's basically a gift.
Filth Hound
VoivodFan
Member # 811

posted August 15, 2006 13:05     Profile for Filth Hound   Email Filth Hound     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah,there are no cons from an album that was a gift from Piggy.At his final hours he thought of the fans and his bandmates and recorded a bunch a great stuff.
How can you see any faults in that?

Quazar
VoivodFan
Member # 800

posted August 15, 2006 13:19     Profile for Quazar   Email Quazar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Katorz as other ones is an unique album with an unique sound. This album is simply perfect in his genre, the mood, the paterns, the progressions, and on this one particuliary the rythmics. I really like that one in a walk-man for the agencement with the left and the right and the entrance of different parts. You can't catch the whole essence of Voivod in only one album, but on every album the essence of Voivod can make you say that is a Voivod album. So I can't really find cons trough Katorz because Katorz is Katorz that's it that's all!!! This is like when I ask others if they know or if they like Voivod, and they answer me: Bah!... I don't really like heavy-metal! At that point you know that this one didn't understand anything. It's the same for the albums (but if you read this post you already know it!). Soon your Cons will become your favorite Pros.

The first impression period is always weird with Voivod, but after you feel so smarter!!!

We miss you Piggy!!!

--------------------

Party de l'interzone!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted August 15, 2006 14:30     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fair point, Skul.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted August 15, 2006 17:14     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Pros:

Piggy, Snake, Away, Jasonic.

The cons:

My copy of Katorz, along with the old-skool Korgull tees for me and the wife, is still in the mail. Can't wait can't wait can't wait...

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 15, 2006 19:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The pros: It's another masterpiece of a Voivod album that just keeps getting better the more I play it.

The cons: Piggy is no longer with us

--------------------

yawn

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted August 15, 2006 19:38     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Filth Hound:
yeah,there are no cons from an album that was a gift from Piggy.At his final hours he thought of the fans and his bandmates and recorded a bunch a great stuff.
How can you see any faults in that?

I feel a bit misunderstood. or perhaps i misexpressed myself. Of course i would never see any faults in the devotion Piggy and the rest of the band has put into Katorz. I am very happy and thankful for this gift as well. This was meant to be a discussion about the new album in general. More in the vein of which songs that really grabs you and which songs arent exactly your cup of tea, production, lyrics etc.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 16, 2006 00:07     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PRO:

Snake is in element for sure

The album is brilliant, every song has the vibe of a different mix of past albums. The guitar is thin and crisp, you can hear every note and intricacies and not just CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG, the guitar really takes you out there.. Myself, i like the so called direct approach that some may refer to in the lyrics, it is very well versed and stimulating + thought provoking.. Snakes lyrics are always top notch catering to my preference, Snake IS sci-fi.. I am still chewing on track 1, but 2 thru 10 FUCKIN' A! TURN IT UP.. The listener really has to tune in to Katorz, which is not a bad thing bcoz it reminds me of my experience first hearing D.H.

Katorz will kick your ass! so buy a subwoofer for your system...

VoiVod LIVES

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 16, 2006 01:21     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quazar:
The first impression period is always weird with Voivod, but after you feel so smarter!!!

If there is an absorption factor involved, you know its gonna be killer.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 16, 2006 04:20     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that this record is great and Piggys music kicks ass as usual...

still I cant deny that I felt exactly the same as Code... songs are at times too linear and lyrics are ok but no more... oddly enough song titles are straight along the Voïvod lines (The Getaway, Dogmation, Silly Clones, The X-Stream, Polaroids) yet the lyrics are too down to earth for me... I must say that apart from Polaroids (a damn good song btw) which resurrects the good old Warriors of Ice, nothing could really grip me either...

dont get me wrong people, as much as I considered the s/t as a weak album this one is a real Voïvod album...

Katorz is definately kick ass and as they say:
Piggy restera toujours notre guide vers l'infini.

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 16, 2006 04:23     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:
If there is an absortion factor involved, you know its gonna be killer.

dman right on the money!
I noticed that on more than a few occasions too...

lets name it the "Hatross-Neverman law"...

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted August 16, 2006 10:46     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only thing missing from Katorz is Blacky's crazy bass lines.
Imran
VoivodFan
Member # 197

posted August 16, 2006 14:00     Profile for Imran   Email Imran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony:
The only thing missing from Katorz is Blacky's crazy bass lines.

I agree, the only thing that would have made Katorz better.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 16, 2006 14:06     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imran:

I agree, the only thing that would have made Katorz better.

Oh, no there is something else missing. The heaviness of KT or Negatron or Phobos

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 16, 2006 17:13     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PROS: they released it.

CONS: I really doubt the album will be released here. Imports are too expensive nowadays.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 16, 2006 17:56     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pros: yes

cons: no

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 19, 2006 05:15     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They have harkenned to the mechanical resonance once been.

Seen, it

Been, there

Done

That.

AND that is GREAT.......

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan