my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Slayer performs at Henry Rollins show !! DESCIPLE

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slayer performs at Henry Rollins show !! DESCIPLE
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 26, 2006 16:59     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
click

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted July 26, 2006 18:03     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't know Henry even had a show.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 26, 2006 20:59     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the show started in april. i haven't watched any of it tho.

speaking of rollins i am really hoping i get to see the reformed lineup of rollins band sometime in the near future with andrew weiss and sim cain. sim cain is one of my favourite drummers. i can't wait to hear tracks from do it or hard volume live again. fuckin a.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 26, 2006 22:09     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Christ Illusion" = ZzZzZzZzzZz
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted July 26, 2006 23:46     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
"Christ Illusion" = ZzZzZzZzzZz

For that matter, everything they've put out since "Seasons In The Abyss" = ZzZzZzZzzZz

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 27, 2006 00:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
the show started in april. i haven't watched any of it tho.

speaking of rollins i am really hoping i get to see the reformed lineup of rollins band sometime in the near future with andrew weiss and sim cain. sim cain is one of my favourite drummers. i can't wait to hear tracks from do it or hard volume live again. fuckin a.

One question, and its about grammar Nia....why no caps? This is the most serious question here. Who cares about Slayer when there is obviously something more deeper and sinister like a total lack of grammar rules going on here. Why the rebellion? This hurts me....

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted July 27, 2006 01:46     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, the new Slayer just ain't where its at. They have been missing somthing since Seasons and it obviously wasn't Lombardo.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 27, 2006 01:54     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

One question, and its about grammar Nia....why no caps? This is the most serious question here. Who cares about Slayer when there is obviously something more deeper and sinister like a total lack of grammar rules going on here. Why the rebellion? This hurts me....

blame e.e. cummings. ok, that's a lie, it's not an hommage at all, i'm just lazy about punctuation on the internet but i do follow the rules of grammar, more or less. in any case here is an eec poem to ease your pain.

the boys i mean are not refined

they go with girls who buck and bite
they do not give a fuck for luck
they hump them thirteen times a night

one hangs a hat upon her tit
one carves a cross on her behind
they do not give a shit for wit

they come with girls who bite and buck
who cannot read and cannot write
who laugh like they would fall apart
and masturbate with dynamite

they cannot chat of that and this
they do not give a fart for art
they kill like you would take a piss

they speak whatever's on their mind
they do whatever's in their pants
they shake the mountains when they dance

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 27, 2006 06:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THAT'S THE SAME EE CUMMINS THAT WROTE WINNIE THE POOH
DAMN!!!

i like the new slayer, and i think what they were missing WAS lombardo... but what do i know?

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 27, 2006 08:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
DAMN!!!

One question, and its about grammar Schroeder....why all caps?

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 27, 2006 10:52     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i like slayer. blast beats are the best. i guess im just not totally into the most extreme metal out there so slayer doesnt sound like nsync to me. saw them live last weekend and the show was great. wish they wouldve played longer and maybe thrown in rib in its entirety but prolly wishing too much is my thang. grammer who needs it.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 27, 2006 12:09     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
DAMN!!!

i like the new slayer, and i think what they were missing WAS lombardo... but what do i know?

that was a.a. milne. close but no doughnut.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 27, 2006 12:11     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Blast beats solve problems.

how so?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 27, 2006 13:41     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I'd like the new Slayer a lot more if I hadn't already spent so many of my years listening to their albums from the '80s. Not that they suck or anything (Lombardo sounds great), but they arguably haven't brought anything new, or that exciting, to the table since "Seasons In The Abyss".

Considering the role they played in the development of my musical tastes, my waning interest in Slayer as I get older has been a great cause of distresss for me, haha.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted July 27, 2006 14:11     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My interest in Slayer went like this:

1982-1985 (Zzzzzzzzzz)
1986 (UH WOW!)
1987-present (Zzzzzzzz)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 27, 2006 15:29     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Slayer should use blast beats.
Blast beats solve problems.

Oh, they do, in the last song, "Supremist" is the name, I think. Kinda unexpected to have blastbeats on a Slayer album, but they actually work.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Gorf.
VoivodFan
Member # 828

posted July 27, 2006 15:39     Profile for Gorf.   Email Gorf.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zlugz:
i like slayer. blast beats are the best. i guess im just not totally into the most extreme metal out there so slayer doesnt sound like nsync to me. saw them live last weekend and the show was great. wish they wouldve played longer and maybe thrown in rib in its entirety but prolly wishing too much is my thang. grammer who needs it.

Proves that "heavier" doesn't mean better.

Black metal is more pretentious than Goth
and Country put together.

Bitter peace is Slayer's last great song.

A couple more from that rec are good.

The rest of their albums are outdated.

Slayer considers an achievement to never
have changed. It isn't. Slayer define
stagnation.

Bands have to at least add something to their sound so they aren't rehashing or
repeating.

Lombardo kills in that vid.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted July 27, 2006 20:01     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to me, blast beats have become the very definition of re-hash. that doesnt mean the new Slayer album isnt the definition of re-hash itself, also....it just doesnt involve much blastbeats, tho. so go figure.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 28, 2006 06:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nia:
that was a.a. milne. close but no doughnut.

DOH!!!!

I agree, Slayer hasn't changed much, if at all, and that's why I liked Diablous (as I've said before) because it was a bit different than the typical rehashed Slayer sound. That's why a song like Jihad grabbed my attention, because it didn't sound like the typical Slayer sound. Araya mixed up his vocals on the new album also and tried some different things that I hadn't heard before. And Lombardo... well, he still a god on the skins.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 05, 2006 17:05     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any more meanings please? I am buying this one.

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 05, 2006 17:54     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
Any more meanings please? I am buying this one.

It's more exploratory, it tends to wander at times. More solos, meanderings. GHUA is pretty rigid and structured, I think.

How's that?

--------------------

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 07, 2006 06:40     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newclear infusion:
It's more exploratory, it tends to wander at times. More solos, meanderings. GHUA is pretty rigid and structured, I think.

How's that?

thanks, i like all songs. Jihad is one of my favorites.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 07, 2006 06:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:

thanks, i like all songs. Jihad is one of my favorites.

I'll second that!!!! I'll be buying my official copy on the 8th... WOW, that's tomorrow.

--------------------

yawn

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted August 07, 2006 07:58     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is the first studio Slayer stuff I've liked since "Seasons in the Abyss."

Same old chords as ever, same old structures to these ears - but something suddenly makes me interested again. Probably Lombardo.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan