my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » KATORZ official release review (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: KATORZ official release review
Filth Hound
VoivodFan
Member # 811

posted July 22, 2006 20:28     Profile for Filth Hound   Email Filth Hound     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so what does everybody think of it.(well those that got there copy already).

I've heard the leaked copy and the official release is a million times better.
It sounds so much clearer and so much better.

...but wasnt a making of the album dvd suppose to come with the cd?

|  IP: Logged
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted July 22, 2006 21:59     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't listened to it enough times to give a real review, but I can say that I've found myself saying "Yeah!" quite often with some of the changes.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 22, 2006 22:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i thought it was also coming with a "making of the album" dvd, but I guess not, since you didn't get one. maybe there's a special edition that will have it. What "feebies" did you receive? Poster and Sticker?

I didn't get the cd today but I know the End shipped it already, so hopefully Monday. I figured the quality would be a lot better than the internet leak, so I can't wait to hear it again with new ears.

NP: new Motorhead track 1

--------------------

yawn

Mind Running Slow
VoivodFan
Member # 331

posted July 22, 2006 23:06     Profile for Mind Running Slow   Email Mind Running Slow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am getting ready to listen to it a 3rd time now. It has good 'fist pumping' energy to it, and I am pleasantly surpised how well the vocals were mixed in compared to the s/t album. And, indeed there are a few changes that make you go like this
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 22, 2006 23:06     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Katorz is badass!

Like it better than the last one. I've listened only once thus far and only half way through...but it seems more cohesive and OH...just heard one of those eerie acoustic interludes...this fuckin' rules!

And yeah, just a sticker, a patch and a mangled to shit poster cuz it's folded into many little squares!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted July 23, 2006 04:37     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also got my copy today. It's good but I think I liked S/T better. Maybe this one will grow on me.

I was hoping that the "making of" DVD would be in there too. I hope this isn't some The End Records shenanigans.

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 23, 2006 04:51     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've still got to wait a week or 2 for my copy, but having listened to the leaked promo far too many times already I still can't wait to get the real deal in my cd player.
I like it much more than the S/T. It just has more attitude and seems more cohesive. The songs themselves are more complex and weird - and Snake's vocals are a lot better than the previous album, where I believe he didn't have the same amount of time to flesh the songs out.

It's a great album - the most enjoyable since Nothingface IMO.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 23, 2006 09:53     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seeate:

It's a great album - the most enjoyable since Nothingface IMO.

I think that (my opinion !!) this album can never be better then TOL, Negatron and /or Phobos.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted July 23, 2006 11:52     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that Katorz is the best album since TOL. Some of the songs are amazing. The highlights imo are: Dognation, No Angel, Getaway, Mr Clean, Red My Mind, Odds and Frauds. This album reminds me of a modern Dimension Hatross at times. No Angel is the fav song. It sounds pretty new for Voivod, especially the chorus. yet has some classic trademarks. The middle part with Piggys rythmic riff and solo is almost the highlight of the album. The accoustic interludes blows me away as well. Haunting, sad, beautiful. There are too many goodies to mention. Im very happy with this album.

Rating would be something like: 8/10

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Filth Hound
VoivodFan
Member # 811

posted July 23, 2006 12:18     Profile for Filth Hound   Email Filth Hound     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was reading through the lyrics and i have to say this is a very political album.I don't remember them being so political.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted July 23, 2006 12:23     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I resisted to urge to get the leaked copy of the record, so I have nothing to compare the sound of the official album to. Sorry I can't be of any help there.

Since I really liked Phobos (musically), I've always wondered what it would have sounded like with Snake on vocals. I think this album answers that. It's certainly the best since TOL, but too different a style to compare to anything prior. It does have it's DH moments, but not enough to fairly compare the two. There are elements of Nothingface in there, perhaps to Glen Robinson's credit. Either way, the new record is so much more cohesive and "Voivod" than the last album.

With regard to the political tone to the record, I think they've always been political, just not as blatant. Remember "Stop Animal Testing" in the Ravenous Medicine video? Dimension Hatross is another with big political and religious views. It just may be that now their opinions may be more direct and focused. It's a bit more preachy than before, but who can blame them?

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted July 23, 2006 13:20     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think there was ever supposed to be a DVD with it. If you see the E-Card, there's a pane at the end that says there's a documentary on the life of Piggy coming in 2007. The 5-minute trailer has pieces of the making of the album, I think THAT is where that will end up.

I am still a bit befuddled about the riffs, they're very "rock." It's not much like Piggy to find one note and hit it singularly 16 times as a riff, "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun." The Tower is like that, but wow, there's a whole lot more like that now!

Whatever, it's Voivod.

We miss you PIGGY! Rock on brother...

Best,
PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted July 23, 2006 19:07     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
I am still a bit befuddled about the riffs, they're very "rock." It's not much like Piggy to find one note and hit it singularly 16 times as a riff, "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun." The Tower is like that, but wow, there's a whole lot more like that now!

I've been thinking about this a bit since you mentioned it. I think there's always been a bit of that in their music, but they used to have a bass player that would do more than just follow the guitar, making it less noticeable and far more musical. I'm not knocking on Jason. Everyone has their own style, and for whatever reason Blacky's bass lines just swirled around Piggy's guitar in the right way. I'm not sure who was writing the bass parts back then, but it was something special; very much unlike conventional bass player thinking.

Snake's vocal style has also shifted dramatically. His newer, groove-oriented approach brings out any repetition in the music.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 24, 2006 09:12     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
I've been thinking about this a bit since you mentioned it. I think there's always been a bit of that in their music, but they used to have a bass player that would do more than just follow the guitar, making it less noticeable and far more musical. I'm not knocking on Jason. Everyone has their own style, and for whatever reason Blacky's bass lines just swirled around Piggy's guitar in the right way. I'm not sure who was writing the bass parts back then, but it was something special; very much unlike conventional bass player thinking.

"Technocratic Manipulator"'s opening riff is just Piggy playing one note (duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh) with Blacky doing his weird little swirling bassline in the back. So, there.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted July 24, 2006 10:04     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
"Technocratic Manipulator"'s opening riff is just Piggy playing one note (duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh) with Blacky doing his weird little swirling bassline in the back. So, there.

I didn't say that it never existed before now, I said it "wasn't much like" him to do it, meaning it was fairly far and few between as opposed to the newer stuff where that approach is omnipresent. So there.

Best, PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted July 24, 2006 13:36     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
My Katorz review -
I don't like rock. There are four good songs, so I give it a 4/10.

Which are the four songs you like?

quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:

It's not much like Piggy to find one note and hit it singularly 16 times as a riff, "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun."
Best,
PAULIE

Yeah Voivod songs are more simple these days. Though sometimes i feel they where almost too complex on for example "Nothingface". On "S/t" and sometimes "Katorz" the songs are too regular instead. I prefer the in between style like "Outer Limits". Its true also like Nothinface said, Blacky did some great stuff on the bass which added complexity. I really liked when he did harmonies on the bass under the guitars.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 24, 2006 20:56     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to it now for the first time. Really got to wait and let it sink in. Without a doubt 'Dognation' blew me away..had to listen to that one twice. S/T sounds so flat compared to the density on this album. Like the punk element too.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 24, 2006 22:17     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
My Katorz review -
I don't like rock. There are four good songs, so I give it a 4/10.

HAHAHA!!!

Bounding to genres now?

Keep the faith, brutha

--------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 24, 2006 22:26     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Like the punk element too.

CHEERS compadre

Don't forget about After All and Red my Mind

oh and Polaroids...............

--------------------

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted July 25, 2006 08:08     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I played The Getaway for a friend and she was like. "Have they started playing punk?" The development of Voivods different styles is allways interesting imo. The punky vibe on some songs really feels cool and fits Voivod.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 25, 2006 10:44     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i like rock.
i need to listen to it a few more times as it hasn't hit me in the face yet. Indeed the punk vibe is what stands out right now and I like that!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

collpaser
VoivodFan
Member # 820

posted July 25, 2006 12:32     Profile for collpaser   Email collpaser     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eh, I just listened to it for the first time all the way through and don't like it. Sure, there are a couple decent parts, but doeasn't hold up to the hype. Bummed.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 25, 2006 12:37     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let it grow.
Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted July 25, 2006 13:08     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let it grow, let it blossom, let it flow.
Quazar
VoivodFan
Member # 800

posted July 25, 2006 15:49     Profile for Quazar   Email Quazar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like this feeling of not understanding everything, an usual feel with every new Voivod album, but this one really got something that I think I'll love later, it's like a surprise.

--------------------

Party de l'interzone!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan