my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » A Review of Katorz (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: A Review of Katorz
Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 19, 2006 12:25     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I thought that was part was grossly exagerated also, because it's not only unfair to Blacky but also to Eric who (litterally) broke his back for that band. And Jason's great, no doubt about it, but he wasnt part of the original chemistry which shaped that entire sound... and he sounds great on the new album simply because his sound comes close to recapture the blower-bass sound.

Other than that, excellent review.

And what's wrong with this forum's interface anyway?

But of course. Blackie was the man who forged the sound, there is no doubt about that. That's why I made a specific reference to him, so that it was clear that Jason is not more important than Blackie. Eric was also fine, even though he made a difference with his vocals mostly, not the bass. The thing is, I loved how Jason made space for himself in an already note-dense environment set by Piggy's playing and added lots of bass leads. I think that Blackie and Eric just surrounded the existing melodies, while Jason is just another "solo" player within the band, almost like a second guitar. It's not just that he goes back to the roots, as you say. To my ears, he brings new things to Voivod. Bass guitar is PREDOMINANT throughout Katorz, I can't really say so for any of the other voivod albums. Blackie's and Eric's (Eric is not even mentioned in the review, because it was a different style of music back then, as we all know) contribution in the band, is not to be understated. My remark was merely one of musical taste and preference, not to be meant that Jason's competence is superior to Blackie's or Eric's. Of course, the historical importance of these two is much greater thus far. Also, the fact that Jason's bass was recorded with a 10W amp, was simply mind-boggling. In my "defence", I would like to add that I'm vaguely familiar with Jason's work prior to Voivod (except of course for the famous Metallica records, back in the days when he was the "collegeboy" in bad-ass Metallica) so it's not that I am a fan or anything. I recognise that my wording may have been provocative concerning this issue.

About the interface, I don't really know any more. I guess you never get to make a good second first-time impression :P It's too dark-shaded and the section categorisation doesn't work, in my opinion. Maybe "interface" wasn't the right world. The whole feel of the forum is ok when you get accustomed to it, but it is hard to make yourself at home with the first time visit.

--------------------

Etenity lies ahead of us,
and behind....

Have you drunk your fill?

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 19, 2006 16:21     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Although the bass sound and playing on the new album is really good, Jasonic isn't the sparring partner to Piggy that Blacky was, more a traditional backing guy.

Eric was something else. Shit, its like there's three different Voivods out there!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 19, 2006 16:25     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I may as well be wrong. I don't even know the guy's name for crying out loud Sorry! It is a complex matter, methinks, because there are several parameters involved, such as the guitar parts, production, time signatures, etc. We could talk it through sometime.

--------------------

and behind....

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 19, 2006 19:11     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think a lot of listeners might not realize a lot of the sounds that came from Blacky we from the bass and not some other instrument. His sound was so different than any other bass in metal that I was familiar with and he's one quarter of what Voivod so damn unique. I'm no musician by any stretch of the imagination but have listened to a shit load of music and the 4 members of the original Voivod can easily be compare to the creativity and genius that King Crimson had during the 72 - 74 era with Wetton, Fripp, Bruford, and Cross (and Jamie Muir at the start of that era). FUCKIN BRILLIANT

--------------------

yawn

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted July 19, 2006 22:13     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
Oh, and it's Blacky, not Blackie. Blackie is that douchebag from W.A.S.P.

Thanks Pavel...if I may!!!

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 19, 2006 23:08     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate WASP. Why did I have to make this silly mistake Now my credibility is completely ruined.

--------------------

and behind....

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 20, 2006 00:10     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this thread rules

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 20, 2006 00:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal-Realm.com:
I hate WASP. Why did I have to make this silly mistake Now my credibility is completely ruined.

youu still wrote a cool review... just NEVER make the same mistake with Blacky AGAIN!!!!! One is a legend and a genius and a contributer and provider of this site... the other is a has-been, a wanna-be, and a never-was.

--------------------

yawn

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 20, 2006 01:57     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a matter of fact I didn't even recall this old fag of WASP. I just thought that the two ways of spelling were equal and interchangeable

--------------------

and behind....

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 20, 2006 03:34     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blackie Lawless contributes to this site?! Wow! When did he sober up enough to type stuff?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 20, 2006 05:57     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of these Blackys/Blackies is not like the other.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 20, 2006 08:49     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seeate:

"To this day, I still don't know who spilled that beer on me! Do you have a clue?"

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 20, 2006 10:15     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gross.
Imagine that belly being where is shouldn't be.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 20, 2006 11:19     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm pretty sure they're the same guy. (oooh i'm in trouble now)
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 20, 2006 11:37     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Goddamn! Blackie looks like Xena with a few bellies! I feel sick.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 20, 2006 11:42     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Although the bass sound and playing on the new album is really good, Jasonic isn't the sparring partner to Piggy that Blacky was, more a traditional backing guy.

Eric was something else. Shit, its like there's three different Voivods out there!

word to yo cheese mama!
Eric was indeed something else and that took the band somewhere else. What would they sound like live with all three bassists on stage?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 20, 2006 14:15     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slug:
What would they sound like live with all three bassists on stage?

They would sound like Overbass?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 20, 2006 17:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you would only be able to hear one of the bass players. hahahahaaaaa... (sorry, j/k)
CanuckOutcast
VoivodFan
Member # 739

posted July 21, 2006 07:57     Profile for CanuckOutcast   Email CanuckOutcast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
4 days till the release!!!!!

--------------------

I want ALL your vinyl -- or else!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan