my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » A Review of Katorz (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: A Review of Katorz
Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 14, 2006 08:59     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greetings to all and well-met.

I represent a greek webzine Metal-Realm.com and I was lucky enough to receive the Katorz promo about a month ago. Voivod is one of my top 3 fav bands and it was devastating to see them go through all these terrible things. But now the new album is here, so let's talk about music.I wanted to share my review of it, you can find it @
http://www.metal-realm.com/View_Article2.php?Table=Reviews&Rec=1316

I hope that this doesn't quite feel like advertising, I had to do a lot of consideration and put in a great effort to write this, so I think it is only fair if you guys could support the webzine. Enjoy and please comment! This may be an 80's fansite, but you know what, Voivod Lives

I've also interviewed Snake and I will publish the interview soon, so I'll let you know in this topic....

--------------------

Etenity lies ahead of us,
and behind....

Have you drunk your fill?

|  IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 14, 2006 10:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent review, thank you for posting it!

There a little something that bugged me, though:

quote:
We've never known Voivod to talk about politics in the past, to my knowledge

WHAT?! How about the whole Dimension Hätross album?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 14, 2006 10:21     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But this is the shit:

quote:
So, now you get the whole picture about what the acoustic guitar passages are about. They bind the songs together to form a breathing unit, a testament that there are things that are beyond life and death, such as true friendship, a tribute to a dead friend's memory, his last fucking metal rites. These guys cheated on death, proving that you can't kill Voivod, because Voivod is a virus that cannot be put down by such simple means. So, this summer, starting on 28th July, when the “silly clones” rub each other's back with coppertone on the beach, stupefied beyond all correction, you need to prove it to yourself that you too have the guts to live your life by the right principles. Crank your car's speakers up to full volume and show the world that in 2006, V is for Voivod.

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 14, 2006 10:29     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I mean in an immediate way. You know the whole story behind Dimension, with the protons/antiprotons and all. They keep it to a fictional level, it's as if they choose not to get so involved. Of course it qualifies as a a political view but it's not so immediate in relevance to specific conditions around the world. In my opinion lyrics that would qualify as a political stand would be "I'm no more a good citizen" or "Long Live Democracy"

For example :

The chaosmöngers
Prefer to get away
When people fall down
But they killed the wrong ones

As opposed to:

Bring the boys back
They're under attack
No more to prove
etc.

With "The Getaway" it's so immediate, it's almost as it's a comment to the news. Maybe I'm just wrong, all the more because the promo doesn't come with lyrics. What is more, the whole concept behind Voivod lyrics has changed with these last two albums. I think that they've gone from abstract to specific, they traded lyrics quantity, minimalism and innuendo for immediacy and accuracy of meaning. Besides, you've never would think that Voivod would have lyrics such as "your loving is a crime" in the past

Thanks for reading and commenting, of course I would add the reference to Dimension if I had the chance now, but I can't. The thing is, I deliberately avoided listening to Voivod albums other than "Voivod" and "Katorz", because I thought that it would be fair and the best thing to do, to have the fresh stuff in mind so as not to get nostalgic. Have you listened to Katorz then? Or would you wait for the official release?

--------------------

and behind....

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted July 14, 2006 17:52     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snake offered a little bit of political commentary on Angel Rat too in 'Best Regards' and 'None of the Above'.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 14, 2006 19:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal-Realm.com:
Well, I mean in an immediate way. You know the whole story behind Dimension, with the protons/antiprotons and all. They keep it to a fictional level, it's as if they choose not to get so involved. Of course it qualifies as a a political view but it's not so immediate in relevance to specific conditions around the world. In my opinion lyrics that would qualify as a political stand would be "I'm no more a good citizen" or "Long Live Democracy"

For example :

The chaosmöngers
Prefer to get away
When people fall down
But they killed the wrong ones

As opposed to:

Bring the boys back
They're under attack
No more to prove
etc.

With "The Getaway" it's so immediate, it's almost as it's a comment to the news. Maybe I'm just wrong, all the more because the promo doesn't come with lyrics. What is more, the whole concept behind Voivod lyrics has changed with these last two albums. I think that they've gone from abstract to specific, they traded lyrics quantity, minimalism and innuendo for immediacy and accuracy of meaning. Besides, you've never would think that Voivod would have lyrics such as "your loving is a crime" in the past

Thanks for reading and commenting, of course I would add the reference to Dimension if I had the chance now, but I can't. The thing is, I deliberately avoided listening to Voivod albums other than "Voivod" and "Katorz", because I thought that it would be fair and the best thing to do, to have the fresh stuff in mind so as not to get nostalgic. Have you listened to Katorz then? Or would you wait for the official release?

Dude, excellent review..very well-thought out.

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted July 14, 2006 20:44     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Somebody needs to send this review to that Metal Observer jerk-off. Soooo much more detail. Excellent work.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 14, 2006 21:27     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent, well-written, inspiring review!
July 27 can't get here soon enough.

*Current Job: Studying Applied Physics (NTUA)*

dOOd, stick around and boggle our minds with that schtuff.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 14, 2006 23:34     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm about to apply physics to that annoying neighbor who comes into my girlfriends yard and cuts trees and tampers with a propane bbq grill!

Uhm, oh yeah. Great review! You sure have a way with words, are u married?

I'm a tad confused about the release date? I thought it was the 25th?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 15, 2006 00:03     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am confused about this issue as well. I found out the european release date (maybe in wikipedia? or the nuclear blast site?) to be 27 or 28th July, so since I'm in Greece that was the date to give. Thank you all about your kind words. I've made an attempt to join this forum in the past, but I thought the interface was (and imo still is) kinda appalling. Maybe I will endure more this time and share the "Applied Physics" stuff. Of course I am not married and I am not a native speaker either :P

Also, I'm running again through all Voivod albums, for the "political" issue. I see now what happened. I must have overlooked some things, because I've always seen Voivod as a sci-fi band, which is at odds with reality. Clearly, I was mistaken.

Please spread the review around, our numbers have been quite low recently and we have some difficulty at getting promos

--------------------

and behind....

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 15, 2006 00:06     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Somebody needs to send this review to that Metal Observer jerk-off. Soooo much more detail. Excellent work.

I've read that review, it's pure flame, the guy is clearly against the band and is trying to do harm. But I wouldn't want to do stuff to him. That would only prove that stupidity reigns. The guideline here is : Spread the word to everyone you can! Let's make Voivod what they deserve to be

--------------------

and behind....

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 15, 2006 10:10     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slug:
are u married?

Hey, that's supposed to be my line!

--------------------

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 15, 2006 16:36     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Hey, that's supposed to be my line!

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to beat u to the punch...line. And besides, after breakfast this morning I thought u had the hots for that Falling Flesh guy, Timothy?

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 15, 2006 18:57     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh!

--------------------

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 16, 2006 15:30     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the deeper meaning of that line, anyway?

--------------------

and behind....

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted July 16, 2006 18:38     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He said "deeper"...heh heh hehehehhe heh.

--------------------

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 17, 2006 06:53     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would any of you guys know of a way to contact the other guys at voivod.com and voivod.net or more importantly, the voivod/myspace thingie?

--------------------

and behind....

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 17, 2006 09:01     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
or more importantly, the voivod/myspace thingie?

I don't think that MySpace thingy is important. We don't even know who put this up!

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 17, 2006 14:45     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll take your word for it then. This seems to be the only active Voivod forum around.

--------------------

and behind....

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted July 17, 2006 19:00     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I'll take your word for it then. This seems to be the only active Voivod forum around.

Hell yeah!! We rule!

--------------------

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 18, 2006 12:28     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's sad :P

The interview should be up and running in a couple of days. I've read the lot of the other promoting interviews of the time, it is strange how people come up with the same questions. I wish now I had put more thought into the questions, but it felt like a brainstorm or something when I did

--------------------

and behind....

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted July 18, 2006 18:43     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Metal Realm.com...
..Welcome to Morgoth,chaosmonger!!! I must say that I found your review captivating and very expressive!!! I can't describe how many unfortunate times I read dull/no-dimension-"null" reviews/interviews of bands and records that are always so conventional and pretentious!!! I'm pleased to say that your article had none of that! I can really understand how your opinion of how this release's lyrics may be the most direct politically--their past results were immersed in poetic,abstract wordplay that blended "Voivod-isms" with a cheeky manipulation of English language assimilated thru the bands' worldview of dystopic technocracy/turmoil. I can't make any kind of a criticism toward the new lyrics cuz I dont't have the album yet(can't wait to set headphones to "hyperblast" when I get it!). I thought it was a good technique that you employed by deliberately not listening to any of the previous Voivod albums to create a newer perspective on "Katorz"-I'm going to apply the
same practice as well. I'll tell anyone I know into metal to check out your site since you put a lot of hard work/effort into this...look forward to seeing the interview ya did w/"Le Cosmik Reptile"(Snake)in the near future. Are you also into other forms of intriguing sci-fi like nanotechnology,anthology shows("Twilight Zone"/"Outer Limits"(old show-not the new crap!)/"The Prisoner")....Best Regards..

.."Inverse the strike to take the lead, then following what I believe..... "

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 19, 2006 08:33     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second that! Excellent review, but there is just a little part that is, um, oddly written:

quote:
It seems he [Jason] is the bassist that Voivod never had – kudos to Blackie -.

Maybe that needs a bit of explaining. Apart from that, great review!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 19, 2006 10:16     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought that was part was grossly exagerated also, because it's not only unfair to Blacky but also to Eric who (litterally) broke his back for that band. And Jason's great, no doubt about it, but he wasnt part of the original chemistry which shaped that entire sound... and he sounds great on the new album simply because his sound comes close to recapture the blower-bass sound.

Other than that, excellent review.

And what's wrong with this forum's interface anyway?

Stargazer
VoivodFan
Member # 831

posted July 19, 2006 12:11     Profile for Stargazer   Email Stargazer     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:

Are you also into other forms of intriguing sci-fi like nanotechnology,anthology shows("Twilight Zone"/"Outer Limits"(old show-not the new crap!)/"The Prisoner")....Best Regards..
"

Thank you so very much! I'm into reading mostly, I am a bookworm when it comes to sci-fi especially. I also dig sci-fi roleplaying games and I also boast of having invented one If those are TV shows that you are referring to, I wouldn't know them, because I hardly watch TV and besides I live in Greece, so it is unlikely that they made it here. Well, I'm into all sorts of Voivodian stuff because of my studies. Proton and antiproton beams, it sounds like home to me :P

--------------------

and behind....

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan