my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » "Katorz" review on The Metal Observer ...WTF? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: "Katorz" review on The Metal Observer ...WTF?
iiigggööörrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 583

posted June 26, 2006 15:13     Profile for iiigggööörrrr   Email iiigggööörrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Check this out:
review

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 26, 2006 15:30     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yah, that's smart of them...."Here Keith, review the new Voivod album, even if you hate 'em". But then, he lists in his bio that he's into Manowar. Haha.
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 26, 2006 15:39     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that for a "not-Voivod-fan" this album isn't extremely good. Good but not extremely good. I can't wait for the "Aardschok" review. I don't think it is going to be album of the month but 80/100 must be possible.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 26, 2006 15:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"...“Katorz” sounds like any album a neighbourhood garage band would put together given a recording contract..."

I wish I lived in that neighborhood

well, ya gotta admit the guy is being honest with his opinion, it's just that his opinion SUCKS and is completely wrong... I'm sure he's content listening to outdated viking metal that just makes me laugh

--------------------

yawn

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted June 26, 2006 18:12     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If he can't hear a difference between "The Getaway" (and not "The Get Away") and "The X-Stream" he's not a master in reviewing Metal albums, is he?
Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted June 26, 2006 19:41     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He says his first metal album ever bought was Arch Enemy - Stigmata. That was apparently released in 1998, so I guess he kinda missed the whole thrash era somewhat.
He leans heavily towards 'new metal', and that's where his interests lie - so I can understand why he wouldn't be that into the new VV - it's a bit too dirty and punk/metal oriented for his liking.

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted June 26, 2006 22:29     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I question whether or not the dumbass even listened to the album.
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted June 27, 2006 13:20     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder what he would have thought 'bout the older classixxx. People exxxposed to older VV albums usually end up in an mental institute or on this board...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 27, 2006 15:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously this guy is ignorant. For a more productive debate, check out the Snake interview at Metal-Rules.....he says some very interesting things that I don't exactly agree with.
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted June 28, 2006 08:53     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If his first metal album was by a carcass rip off band in 98 - then he isn't qualified to touch Katorz!

I bought my first metal album in 1979 - Highway to Hell, and I was 7 years old. I've listened to metal every day since! I live metal, breath metal, fart metal, and drink metal. (well beer)

And as far as NU-metal goes - it should be called NO-metal as its a lame substitute for PROPER metal.

If metal had to sound like anything I'd rather it be Punk than Rap -

Punk has reactionary / rebellious credibility whereas rap has no musical credibility whatsoever - its such a shallow medium.

I'm just ranting now - the guy is just too inexperienced to be reviewing something as important as a voivod album.

Whoever convinced him his opinion was worth hearing is sadly mistaken.

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted June 29, 2006 05:08     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually - I couldn't let it lie! So I had a quick listen to a few tracks in relation to the reviewer's opinion of the album.

And there are plenty of awesome moments in:

The guitar over the drums on the bridge of "no angel" is like hearing a gong during an earthquake!

Polaroids - the amount of variations round the same chord progression, its the kind of intuitive playing of 20 yrs experience that makes t work - considering one of the band wasn't even there in the studio - its remarkable how well the songs are put together.

The reviewer guy simply doesn't know enough about metal, the process of recording an album and the sheer songcraft that is on display here.

looking at the "counting" sections of The x-stream as an example of compositon, the way it segues smoothly from the main riff into the chugging timer - then goes off into accelerated weirdness and then effortlessly back into the main verse/chorus. Not something an inexperienced band could pull off.

GRRRR rant over

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted June 29, 2006 09:08     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaaargh! Me and my guys are
Trying to keep it high
We'll play all night for you
I'm banging my head 'til I'm dead
As long as you move
We're on the fast way
Delivering the best that I can
Can you see what I'm doing
Running from day to day

(...)

And if you're a fucker
And don't believe it, I say...
Fuck off and die !

So if you're a looser or just
A fuckin' wimp...
fuck off and die !!

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted June 29, 2006 12:06     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I listen to this metal radio at work. All this modern metal sound the same. Nothing sounds like Voivod. Nothing sounds like Katorz. Not even close. And this guy wonders whats so special about Voivod? Cant force anyone to like Voivod but this review is written by a noob for sure.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Quazar
VoivodFan
Member # 800

posted June 29, 2006 14:20     Profile for Quazar   Email Quazar     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder how many listen he made of that album, again today some Voivod album that I knew well tell me surprises.

--------------------

Party de l'interzone!

Anyway
VoivodFan
Member # 594

posted June 29, 2006 18:18     Profile for Anyway   Email Anyway     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's 23 years old. Just like Voivod...
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 29, 2006 19:00     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
His bio says his first metal show was in 2003... As far as metal comprehension goes, this guy is still in Huggies. He'll probably regret this review in a few years.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted June 29, 2006 22:37     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shargraves:
Actually - I couldn't let it lie! So I had a quick listen to a few tracks in relation to the reviewer's opinion of the album.

And there are plenty of awesome moments in:

The guitar over the drums on the bridge of "no angel" is like hearing a gong during an earthquake!

Polaroids - the amount of variations round the same chord progression, its the kind of intuitive playing of 20 yrs experience that makes t work - considering one of the band wasn't even there in the studio - its remarkable how well the songs are put together.

The reviewer guy simply doesn't know enough about metal, the process of recording an album and the sheer songcraft that is on display here.

looking at the "counting" sections of The x-stream as an example of compositon, the way it segues smoothly from the main riff into the chugging timer - then goes off into accelerated weirdness and then effortlessly back into the main verse/chorus. Not something an inexperienced band could pull off.

GRRRR rant over

I agree mate, there's a lot more going on in Katorz than there appears to be. The first time I listened to it I thought it was ok... I just wanted to hear all the new songs straight away and be wowed. But Voivod music has never really worked like that.. and the more I listen to Katorz the more cool stuff I hear in it.. everything from Piggy's odd chords/riffs to Snakes weird vocal effects.. Jason's raw and dirty bassage and of course understanding the difficulty Away had in keeping those drum tracks tight.

It's a damn good album. I won't say it's their best or my absolute favourite, but it's extremely enjoyable and is a strong collection of songs overall that kick the ass of most wannabe metal acts out there. This is how it's done kids

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 30, 2006 01:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The person responsible for assigning that review is really to blame. I know from experience that in all fairness to potential listeners (not the band) that serious reviews should be given by people with experience in that genre.

The review I just read says more about the reviewer than the record. As a potential listener, not an existing Voivod fan, that review is totally useless. With that said, what I learned from the review is that Keith is a whiny little bitch and knows nothing about his job.

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted June 30, 2006 09:33     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He likes his mates to call him "Rumplekeithkin".

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 30, 2006 09:51     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's got the horn. blah blah.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Neverstream
VoivodFan
Member # 593

posted July 07, 2006 03:39     Profile for Neverstream   Email Neverstream     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm mad at this guy
Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted July 07, 2006 05:16     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who cares about critics.
I'll wait till I got my official copy in my hands, and it will be a blast, I'm sure.
Got to consider the circumstances of the recording process.

One question though...

What do the insiders think, what is the difference between Katorz and the one before ?

Hehe...which one is better ?

--------------------

What the...?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 07, 2006 06:43     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:
One question though...

What do the insiders think, what is the difference between Katorz and the one before ?

Hehe...which one is better ?

I thinnk the self titled cd shows the band having fun writting andf playing and enjoying making music. The songs have a different groove than previous Voivod tunes, but still maintained the Voivod sound and I loved the album. The new cd has a different feel where it seems more like the classic vibe of the band and I think a lot more thought was put into this recording than just going into the studio and jamming (which is what I thought of the self titled). Obviously due to Piggy's passing this wasn't possible, and it just seems to me like more time was spent developing ideas around what Piggy left them... and once again we are blessed with another masterpiece of music. Katorz sounds like a cross between The Outer Limits with a touch of Nothingface and the Union Made vibe combined. Bottom like is IT'S GREAT.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted July 07, 2006 10:54     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally written by Suck-Ass-Reviewer:
The lack of sophistication

This guy couldn't recognise sophistication even if it hit him in the head with a shovel full of manure.

"THAT'S SOPHISTICATION, FUCKER!" *SPLAT!!!*

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted July 08, 2006 13:14     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This kid is a kid. He knows nothing.

It was irresponsible of the editor to give this kid the duty of reviewing ANYTHING.

I'm certainly not saying that every review of Katorz has to be glowing, and I don't expect them to be. But this kid is way too young and inexperienced to be passing judgement on something that has SO much history. The problem is, someone who isn't familiar w Voivod might read this article and decide to not bother with trying them.

Maximum Rock'n'Roll (decades-old punk/hardcore zine from California), once upon a time, had a neat policy of sometimes having more than one review for the same album, by reviewers that were often at odds with each other. Sometimes the reviews were total opposites, sometimes they agreed. THAT was a good policy. Of course, this isn't very practical nowadays, since any shitty "band" that's been around for 3 weeks has the capability of releasing a CD.

Bah, I'm old and grizzled.

Best, PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan