my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Zappa Plays Zappa: A Must-See

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zappa Plays Zappa: A Must-See
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 19, 2006 04:15     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I drove all the way to Chicago from Minneapolis for this motherfucker, and it was BEYOND anything I could have imagined.

My head is still spinning... the 900 miles driving to & from Chicago, (after having just returned from a 4200 mile road trip to & from California last week) my first encounter with Illinois & the magnificent Windy City... then THIS SHOW came along and just completely blew me away.

This was easily one of the most emotional, memorable nights of music I've ever experienced. Too many highlights to mention, but off the top of my head:

Florentine Pogen - Three words: Napoleon Murphy Brock

The Black Page #2 - (thankfully) less like 'E-Z Teenage New York', more 'Baby Snakes'. My second fave of the show.

Peaches En Regalia - See Echidna's Arf, below

Montana

Echidna's Arf - An all time personal Zappa fave, played to perfection. Couldn't wipe the grin from my face.

Zomby Woof - Steve Vai is a fucking alien, folks. No human can do that shit to a guitar, and have those sounds come out of it. I urge & challenge all Vai-haters to go see this show, if possible. I was already a fan, but I have all new respect for this dude.

Inca Roads - IN-fucking-CREDIBLE!!! Dweezil announced that there was a "friend" in the audience who just loves the song with 'Guacamole Queen' in the lyrics. He calls for the house lights and asks 'Ellis' to stand up. As it turns out, 'Ellis' is about a 9-year old boy. Dweez waves him over to the stage, helps him up there, and allows the kid to watch & listen to the entire song from right up on stage, but that's not all. During the first part of the guitar solo, he grabs the kid's hand with his own left, and starts using THE KID'S FINGERS to play the fretboard! I have never seen anything quite like it, and I'll bet Ellis will never forget this night. Ellis was allowed to roam the stage and observe & participate with some of the other musicians throughout.

Besides all that, their version of Inca Roads was so perfect that it actually brought a tear to my eye. Seeing such a young kid up there totally digging Zappa's music made it that much better.

I guarantee that if FZ is looking down on his son on this tour, he's the proudest dad there is.

ALL HUMANS are strongly urged to find a way to this show.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 19, 2006 04:27     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, BTW Terry fucking Bozzio tore the place a new asshole as well.

Dweezil has assembled a world-class group of musicians, and completely immersed himself in his father's music. (not to mention completely re-inventing himself as a Guitarist/ musician in the process)

The funniest thing of all was returning home only to see that MINNEAPOLIS has been added as a date in October! No regrets whatsoever though, I'd drive to 100 cities to see this show repeatedly if I could afford to.

--------------------

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted June 19, 2006 04:56     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento speaks the truth.
I caught the London show at the Albert hall, with pretty much the same setlist as the above show to much the same response.

Highlights included a version of "Louie, Louie"
on the Albert hall organ, and a stonking "Peaches en Regalia.". Sublime, really.

Bozzio was unavailable at the London gig, a shame but it didn't hurt too much.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 19, 2006 07:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW !!!
2 fuckin cool.

I heard years ago that Dweezil was putting together a Zappa tribute album with lots of big names but I never saw it get released. Do you know anything about this Tang.

--------------------

yawn

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted June 19, 2006 15:29     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:

Echidna's Arf - An all time personal Zappa fave, played to perfection. Couldn't wipe the grin from my face.

That's my favorite too! I love playing this one with my guitar teacher (who happens to be in a Zappa tribute band with Ike Willis )

Damn...sounds like an incredible night Tange! !

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 19, 2006 16:54     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Where was Moon?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted June 19, 2006 19:10     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a fabulous time, Tang.

And kudos for not getting in any accidents on the 'merican highways, they can be a bitch

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 19, 2006 20:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth_Mothman:
Tangento speaks the truth.
I caught the London show at the Albert hall, with pretty much the same setlist as the above show to much the same response.

Highlights included a version of "Louie, Louie"
on the Albert hall organ, and a stonking "Peaches en Regalia.". Sublime, really.

Bozzio was unavailable at the London gig, a shame but it didn't hurt too much.

Back in 1968 Frank and the Mothers did 'Louie Louie' on the Albert Hall organ...so that's where that bit comes from...that's serious devotion to history..

Speaking of devotion...dude Tangento that was a shit ass driving feat on your part man...I don't think I could've done it. Unless Sr. was playing that is.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBcAdA6kTm0&search=zappa

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 19, 2006 22:25     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How ironic... my new Guitar mag appeared in my mail box today and guess who graced the cover and feature article? ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA with Dweezil and Vai on the cover.

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted June 20, 2006 02:39     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
WOW !!!
2 fuckin cool.

I heard years ago that Dweezil was putting together a Zappa tribute album with lots of big names but I never saw it get released. Do you know anything about this Tang.

No, but it sounds like a grand idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fewz:
Sounds like a fabulous time, Tang.

And kudos for not getting in any accidents on the 'merican highways, they can be a bitch

These words you speak are true. In my estimation, there are a vast multitude of inept, unqualified, self absorbed & totally incompetent morons driving cars & SUVs in all 50 States and beyond. I'm lucky to be alive, but I live for the road trips.

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 20, 2006 08:51     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chaosmongirll:
That's my favorite too! I love playing this one with my guitar teacher (who happens to be in a Zappa tribute band with Ike Willis )

Wow, you are my new hero.

BTW, Dweezil should let the Imperial grow on his face. With the hair and the red SG, he looks just like his dad.

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 20, 2006 10:36     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How fuckin' fun. Drivers here in NM suck like fuck.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Jacque Luminous
VoivodFan
Member # 621

posted June 21, 2006 01:03     Profile for Jacque Luminous   Email Jacque Luminous     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was there, too, Tangento! Saw you on the Zappa list, too! Fucking Zomby Woof with Vai was unreal! BTW- just got home from SLAYER! ARRGGH!!! What a week!
Jacque Luminous
VoivodFan
Member # 621

posted June 21, 2006 01:07     Profile for Jacque Luminous   Email Jacque Luminous     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW- does anyone know if that was Frank's red SG? Sure looked like it!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan