my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Armored Saint concert report

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Armored Saint concert report
anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted June 17, 2006 05:56     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got back from seeing Armored Saint live in San Francisco. What a fantastic show. Probably the best I've ever seen a band play. Super tight, tons of energy, classic songs...they really have it all. And taking their on-again,off-again status into consideration they really shouldn't be this good. Is there a better American band playing straight up, traditional heavy metal? I don't think so.

We arrived as late as possible and missed the first three opening bands. Is it really neccessary to have five lousy, opening bands? The two we did see were Pit Fiend from Chico, CA and The Hated who I think were from San Jose. They were not very good. I was planning on bagging on them a bit, but what the hell, they were up there playing and I was in the audience...

Here's what I remember of the setlist. I've been up for about 23 hours so my brain is a little fried.

Tribal Dance
Reign of Fire
Control Issues
Tension
Pay Dirt
Book Of Blood (which was completely awesome)
Chemical Euphoria
Can U Deliver
March Of The Saint
Seducer (Bush said they had not played this song live since their first tour)
Nervous Man
Aftermath

They are on their way to Europe and I would highly recommend checking them out if you get the chance.

*editied for my memory returning to me*

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 17, 2006 06:22     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kickass! I hope they stop in Zagreb.

Speaking of opening bands...
The Motorhead show i went to here had three.
First band kicked everyone's ass really bad. I was truely impressed by they're musicianship.

For me, its always fun to get to the show early and hear the openers. I listen to the band as a whole, as well as to each instrument.
They might suck as a band, but have a great Drummer or whatever.

Cheers!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 17, 2006 06:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the reveiw. It's great to hear the Saint is back and strong as ever. I remember seeing them on the Hell On Wheels tour so many years ago with Grim Reaper and Helloween!!!! Glad ya had a great time... now get some sleep!!!

--------------------

yawn

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 17, 2006 08:20     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ooh, "Aftermath"... nice.

a friend of mine saw this show last night, too. fuck, i bet it was awesome. did you know they are releasing a live DVD of all this current tour stuff (or something like that)?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 17, 2006 10:02     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zCthonz:

a friend of mine saw this show last night, too.

would that be wretch?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted June 17, 2006 16:23     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zCthonz:
ooh, "Aftermath"... nice.

a friend of mine saw this show last night, too. fuck, i bet it was awesome. did you know they are releasing a live DVD of all this current tour stuff (or something like that)?

Yes I heard about the DVD. If they play Book of Blood like they did last night then it would be worth the price of admission by itself.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 17, 2006 17:52     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
would that be wretch?

haha, he was supposed to go...not sure if he went. ill kick his butt if he didnt go...

if he posts some live pics, ill link to them here.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 18, 2006 07:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DVD!!!! guess who will be buying that as soon as it comes out?

--------------------

yawn

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted June 20, 2006 14:54     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The more bands you have before a major act is often a reflection of the headliner's ability (or inability) to sell out the club themselves.
And the even crappier thing about it is, the bands before hand often don't know when they're going on. That's usually determined by which "local" band brought in the most heads by a certain time (i.e. the band with the most people there goes on right before Armored Saint).
I'm not saying every club runs that way, but that's often how it goes in california.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted June 20, 2006 18:33     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
The more bands you have before a major act is often a reflection of the headliner's ability (or inability) to sell out the club themselves.
And the even crappier thing about it is, the bands before hand often don't know when they're going on. That's usually determined by which "local" band brought in the most heads by a certain time (i.e. the band with the most people there goes on right before Armored Saint).
I'm not saying every club runs that way, but that's often how it goes in california.

Yes that's true. We were told at the door that AS would be going on stage no later than 11:30. Pit Fiend finishes at about 11:00 so we moved up front and waited for the AS crew to do their thing.

Instead of taking the cover off of the drums that were already setup, they start setting up a drumkit right at the front of the stage and these other guys start carrying amps and other stuff up there. The Hated had half an hour to setup, play, break down and get off the stage. The whole time Armored Saint's crew were standing to the side of the stage pointing at their watches and giving them the "one more song and that's it" motion. They stretched it out a tiny bit to about 11:40, and the AS crew were not happy.

I guess that's just how it goes for local bands.

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted June 20, 2006 19:49     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, it can be an uncomfortable situation for everyone. And in the long run, no one ends up happy.......the local bands usually go on later than promised forced to do an abbreviated set, and the headliner goes on later than advertised.
And all we (the local bands) are doing is trying to help the club out by bringing in more heads. But they treat you like you owe them something! It's amazing!

Every now and then I get so frustrated by the way clubs treat bands that I have to vent. Can you tell that I just had a crappy gig?
www.cdbaby.com/deathtaxes2

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted June 20, 2006 19:53     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And by the way, all you guys that come to shows to support local bands rock. I can't say enough about you. And that's why I do my best at every show I perform at no matter how many (or few) people are there. It's always a pleasure to do a set in front of people who showed up early. Seriously, you guys rock. And I'm always very greatful and make it a point to thank them in person after the show.
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted June 21, 2006 13:20     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm guessing John Bush is still the Saint's frontman?

Fuck that dude is such an amazing singer, I can't believe Anthrax dumped him (ok let's not start the whole anthrax reunion war here mmkay?)

He's probably one of the all-time 5 best frontmen in metal for sure...

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted June 21, 2006 16:54     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ynys Trebes:
I'm guessing John Bush is still the Saint's frontman?

Fuck that dude is such an amazing singer, I can't believe Anthrax dumped him (ok let's not start the whole anthrax reunion war here mmkay?)

He's probably one of the all-time 5 best frontmen in metal for sure...

Yes it's John Bush, Phil Sandoval, Gonzo, Jeff Duncan and Joey Vera.

Cthon
Member # 156

posted June 23, 2006 03:20     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfU87pPpW2Q

a little bit of that show... im trying to get more links for yall/

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 23, 2006 04:54     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
And I'm always very greatful and make it a point to thank them in person after the show.

Come play in London and you can thank US! Uh... no that didn't come out right...

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Heino
VoivodFan
Member # 160

posted June 27, 2006 04:22     Profile for Heino   Email Heino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw them last saturday at the germans "Bang Your Head-Festival and it was also amazing!!!
Unfortunately they didn't play Chemical Euphoria, which is one of my personal faves.
It's a short european tour, so if someone wants to see them, here's the rest of their dates:
6/27 Sheffield, UK
6/28 Belfast, NIR
6/29 Glsgow, SCO
1/7 Lonodon, UK (this one's for you Emlyn K Helicopter), playing at the Underworld
7/16 Toscolano Maderno, ITA

--------------------

...To The Death
Heino

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted August 02, 2006 18:44     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's audio from the San Francisco show if anyone is interested. I don't have the bandwidth to host it right now so I had to resort to yousendit.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EC38C5946BA6702C

edit: I didn't do the recording, I found it on another forum. It was old news to the other Saint fans...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 03, 2006 06:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GREAT
I got mine... sounds damn good... great job
thanks

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan