my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » World Cup Thread (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: World Cup Thread
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 13, 2006 14:24     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am suprised nobody else has started a World Cup thread yet.
What gives? Where are all you Footballers?

Well...In less than an hour Croatia vs Brazil.

GO CROATIA!!!!! BEAT THE PISS OUT OF THOSE BRAZILLIANS!!!!!

It probably wont happen, but i can cheer anyway.

In other news...I was happy to see Czech Republic beat the Amerikans (With all they're extra security).
Everybody here was happy about that one.

Watched Korea vs Togo earlier. Korea won but i was cheering for Togo. Damnitt.

Oh well...on with the games!

|  IP: Logged
KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 13, 2006 14:36     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go get em croats - England could do without losing to Brazil yet again. Mind you we'll probably lose to the Germans first

My pick for the cup? Difficult but either Germany, Brazil or Argentina. Realistically I think England are out in the quarters or semis. We have the players but tactically we aren't good enough nor is the team fit enough to win the whole thing.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted June 13, 2006 14:56     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and here it goes!

I think Czeck's is the strongest team. I'll cheer for the Italy (I'm probably only one here).

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 13, 2006 17:11     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnickerZohnonnof:

My pick for the cup? Difficult but either Germany, Brazil or Argentina.

Nah, the Swedes will grab the cup to honor their ice hockey team who made history this spring by being the first ever national team to win both the Olympic and World Cup gold medals same year. Heja Sverige!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted June 14, 2006 01:25     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my vote is for the team with the coolest jerseys.
Iron Maiden!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 14, 2006 02:05     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Didn't anybody watch Sweden vs Trinidad & Tobago? That last 20 minutes everytime when the T&T coach was filmed with an extreme smile on his face

I say: HUP HOLLAND HUP !

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 14, 2006 05:03     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just wanna see how long france can go without scoring. It's 2002 all over again!
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted June 14, 2006 06:13     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
those were brazilians were dissapointing. Diving, play acting. with talents like they have its such a shame they resort to that crap.

Pity croatia couldn't get a few goals - they had the better chances - and tried much harder.

Ronaldo looked asleep!

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted June 14, 2006 07:53     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shargraves:
those were brazilians were dissapointing. Diving, play acting. with talents like they have its such a shame they resort to that crap.

Pity croatia couldn't get a few goals - they had the better chances - and tried much harder.

Ronaldo looked asleep!

Couldnt agree more
Lots of talented players a fact, playing that bad cant undestand, the same goes for England, France, Sweden(hello trinidad and tobago)IMHO all these teams play a lot better maybe they are saving their best for the later stages.
for now go Netherlands, Italy, Geramany and the best football Czech Rep.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 14, 2006 09:02     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Americans and football.... it's like giving War & Pain to a britney fan.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 14, 2006 09:38     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL!

I am thoroughly pissed about the Brasil - Croatia game.
It is quite clear that the Judges were on the side of Brasil. Fucking crooks.
Would it have made a difference if they were fair in the calls?...Maybe...maybe not.
Croatia showed some real defensive skill by keeping Brasil to just ONE goal.
Looks like Brasil went in to this over-confident.
You would think that they would know by previous matches to never underestimate the determination of Croatia.

Fucking biased Judges.

Right now i am watching Spain - Ukraine on ORF (Austria) Channel.
Spain is up 2-0...DAMNITT! I want the Ukraine to win!

WARCORPSE!...Two Balls in the field would be interresting indeed.
It has always been my opinion that the entire field should be smaller...as to increase the scorring. This would make it more exciting.
They changed rules in Hockey to increase the scorring...which is up...and its really exciting now.
NHL Hockey that is.

Anyways...

Can someone tell me why RUSSIA is not in the World Cup?
You guys know that i am kinda new to all this European excitement...so someone please explain.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted June 14, 2006 09:44     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
What soccer needs is two balls on the field, in play, at all times. Then it would be good.[/QB]

Last time I played there were 47 balls in the game, including the referee's balls

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted June 14, 2006 09:56     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Football servers only 2 real purposes:

1. Some guys want an excuse to hit the showers with 10 other sweaty rich guys. (also known as players)

2. The others likes it because it's the best excuse in the world for having a beer.

I'm a class 2 individual

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 14, 2006 09:57     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Judges? Calls? Are you watching the same sport as I am, KK?

Summary so far:

Germany's defense is crap, Ecuador are plucky, England suck, the Czechs are my favourites, Brazil are ropey and Ronaldo is fat, France are hopeless, Ivory Coast look dangerous and Argentina are probably going to win. As for Holland, Sneijder, Robben and van Persie are going to be superstars in a few years. Well, more than they are already.

quote:

They didn't qualify. They aren't very good. Unlike their western neighbours, who have Andriy Shevchenko and, um, nobody else.

On a more bizarre note, I loved Iran's pennant that they swapped with the Mexicans before their game. It was, in fact, a framed prayer mat.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 14, 2006 10:45     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After the '98 embarassment, I gave up on World Cups. I watched the game yesterday, and it was nothing more than expected: Brasil sucked hard, and Croatia was even worse. Everyone here in Brasil knows we have no team at all, thanks to Parreira, probably the worst coach to ever lead a Brasilian National Team. Forget about '94, we only won because the other teams were even worse.

My prediction about Brasil is, we will be first in our group (Australia X Japan was an embarassing game to watch, both teams are horrible), but won't get too far. Brasil's players are too rich and famous to care about an insignificant World Cup, it seems.

The winner? I don't care, São Paulo FC is the legitimate FIFA World Club Champion, that's all that matters.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

nell
VoivodFan
Member # 171

posted June 14, 2006 11:00     Profile for nell   Email nell     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LyKcantropen:
... Ronaldo is fat...

Holy fattyfatness tuboblubber! What's up with him? I reckon he's done a Maradona and taken up a big 'ol coke habit.

Or perhaps as Ian Wright said last night "he looks like his girlfriend's just lodged him" and he's eaten too much ice cream....

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 14, 2006 11:36     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic:
Brasil sucked hard, and Croatia was even worse. Everyone here in Brasil knows we have no team at all, thanks to Parreira, probably the worst coach to ever lead a Brasilian National Team. Forget about '94, we only won because the other teams were even worse.

Croatia worse? WHAT?

I was wondering when you were gonna post something.
To my shock...its not what i expected! So down on your national team.
Kaka...the thorn in Croatia's side...is a damn good player. I HATED IT when he score.

Also...That Emerson was beating us up all night too. Great scrappy player.

Ronaldo...You are right. I thought he was gonna cry when his attempts (2) didnt go in.

Ronaldinho...what about him? Knowing some of the history of that guy, i highly respect him.
It was great Croatian defense that kept him from a score or two last night.
He was frustrated as hell and you could see it on his face.

Now...what about TOGO? Doesnt anyone here like them? Damn!
Am I the only one here who likes that TOGO Voodoo?

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 14, 2006 12:50     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Emmanuel Adebayor, he plays well for Arsenal and Henry likes him as a strike partner. Ivory Coast are much better team, though.
Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted June 14, 2006 14:42     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinenz:
Nah, the Swedes will grab the cup to honor their ice hockey team who made history this spring by being the first ever national team to win both the Olympic and World Cup gold medals same year. Heja Sverige!

Thanks for beliving in Sweden!!
Although their style against T/T really sucked.

My fav. apart from Sweden are Holland and Brazil but I think Argentina have a good chance to take the gold!
Portugal won against Angola, always something posotive.

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted June 14, 2006 15:22     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lynn:

You guys know that i am kinda new to all this European excitement...so someone please explain.

cause my tiny country give them 7-1

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted June 15, 2006 06:55     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My thoughts thus far, in no particular order:

Germany: If they win it'll be by good luck rather than good management. They were inept against Poland, who I have to say played for a draw and were unlucky to get one. If they don't improve they will fall at the first knockout stage.

Sweden: Looked totally useless. A draw against T&T was a disaster and it seemed they simply weren't playing as a unit. Don't think they'll make the knockout stages unless something incredible happens - like they start playing football. If England don't beat them this time then they really are our bogey team - we've not beaten them for almost 40 years!

England: Naturally I'd love my home team to win it but realistcally I don't think we're good enough - Sven's tactics are questionable at best and the team's overall fitness is below what it should be. On our day we are one of the best sides in the world - it just doesn't happen often enough for us to lay claim to the world cup. Quarters or semis will be our lot.

Argentina: Look imperious, they will go a long way. They are comfortable on the ball, play with flair and are difficult to beat. They are in the group of death but they will win that and the final is a realistic prospect.

Holland: Seemed to fall victim to the second half horror that England did, but did hold on for the win. Are a jeckyll and hyde side in that they seem almost to stop playing any sort of football at all in some matches yet are unbeatable when they put their minds to it. The final is beyond them but they should make the quarters and possibly the semis.

Portugal: Looked superb with some lovely touches and I'm amazed they didn't score more than one against Angola. However, like holland they are inconsistent so I think the final is beyond them. Quarters or semis.

Czech Republic: The dark horses - I can see this side reaching the final. They are a well organised unit and show superb 'never say die' spirit. Would like to see them win.

Italy: Difficult to say. On paper they should get to the semis at least but Personally I don't think they are good enough. The real test will be when they play the Czechs - which I think they will lose. Don't see any progress beyond the last 16.

Brazil: Looked lazy and were well contained by the Croats, who I think were unlucky not to get a draw. Ronaldo was almost a passenger and looks far from the player he once was. But they started slowly in 2002 and won the thing so who's to say? I still have them down as the team who will win it but not if they play like they did against Croatia.

Croatia: Did well against the Brazilians and were unlucky to lose. I think they will still get through to the last 16 because neither the aussies or Japan are good sides. How much further depends - I'd say quarters is about their lot.

South Korea: Now I'm seriously impressed with this team. They are tenacious and pacy and they exude great team spirit. For a side so inexperienced you have to admire them. I hope they do well and I think they will get to the quarters.

France: Terrible. I have never seen such a non-team performance as I did when they played the swiss. They have massively gifted players yet they don't play as a unit. If they make it beyond the league stage I'll be suprised and the best I see them doing is the last 16.

Spain: They look superb. They exude class and play exemplary possession football. There is strength in depth and they are one of the best sides in the World. But here is another team that have this annoying knack of switching off! They have the quality to win but I seriously don't see them past the quarters because they will, at some point, turn in a stinker of a performance and get easily beaten. They can win the whole thing but they won't.

I didn't see Mexico play but from what I read they look in good shape. Think they'll make the quarters but no further.

My pick for the last 16:

Germany, Ecuador

England, Paraguay

Argentina, Holland

Portugal, Mexico

Czech Republic, Italy

Brazil, Croatia

South Korea, France

Spain, Tunisia

Personal comments: The refereeing has been largely bad - far too many bookings for innocuous challenges. I am also fed up with all the ridiculous play acting these so-called professional atheletes get up to. It is definitely time to introduce a new regime for fouls. TV replays should be shown and if it shows there was no physical contact and the 'fouled' player is clearly acting in order to gain unfair advantage, no matter where on the pitch, he should be red carded. The offence would be professional misconduct and the player should be banned for up to 3 matches depending on circumstances. Would kill this stupid, rolling on the floor like you've been bulldozed by a raging bull nonsense, when in actual fact he just brushed your shirt with his, in just a few matches. Would also stop some dubious penalty awards and players being sent off for no real reason other than the other player made a mountain out of him being within a yard of his space and he happened to fall over clutching his ankle as if it had been stamped on by a machine press.

Otherwise....COME ON ENGLAND!!!

--------------------

Hail Santa...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 15, 2006 12:44     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted June 15, 2006 12:54     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha, I never tire of those badgers.

Nice breakdown Knickerwhatever. It helps my fuckin' lameass american ignorance about all things soccer.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 15, 2006 13:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All those predictions Knick did and not one mention of Togo.

GO TOGO GO!!! (Togo, not Toto.)

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted June 15, 2006 15:31     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm telling you, man, the Ivory Coast is where it's at.

Another dire performance from England. Crouch needs to stop pretending he's van Basten and actually get a grip with what he can and can't do.

At least we're through. Whether we deserve it or not is another matter entirely.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan