my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » For Vman

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Vman
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 27, 2006 07:34     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ALARUM review from that shitmetalcore mag Decibel

"Something of a departure for the mighty Willowtip label, Aussie quartet Alarum shares a fair amount in common with outfits such as Cynic, Atheist and late-model Pestilence, the bands most frequently cited as reference points. Still, apart from frenetic velocity and the grating bark of bassist-vocalist Mark Palfreyman, there’s little here that actually qualifies as death metal of any sort. More accurately, Alarum is a progressive thrash band marked by blistering technical proficiency and a penchant for fusion-tinged legato guitar heroics of the Holdsworth-Satriani school.

The sheer vertiginous thrill of listening to four virtuosos executing treacherously difficult music at hair-raising velocity makes for a genuine adrenaline rush: suffice it to say that Eventuality contains more gear shifts, hairpin turns and potentially fiery pileups than a stock car race in an icy labyrinth. The music hints at the cybernetic rush of Dimension Hatross-era Voivod pushed to inhuman levels of headlong precision, a comparison furthered by the cosmic thrust of the lyrics. Mark A Evans’s guitar synth dots the landscape with occasional injections of color, such as the steel drum patch near the beginning of “Receiver.”

Trouble is the band rarely stays in one place long enough for its songs to have much of a lasting impact. Vocals frequently seem tossed off as mere connective tissue between serrated riffs and soaring solos. Exceptions like the genuinely memorable “Throughout the Moment” (on which Palfreyman’s clean vocals have a dramatic impact not unlike that of Ihsahn on the later Emperor records) indicate just how powerful this band could be, if only it would spend a little more time developing its best ideas."
(yeah, let this SOB try to write vocal lines over such complex music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JytJHhlASs&search=alarum

Play the 'Velocity' video. The Atheist covers would be cool except the sound on both are totally screwed.

http://www.myspace.com/alarummusic

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 27, 2006 11:02     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not everything on Willowtip is grindcore. They have tons of techdeath and techthrash. Decibel is a shit mag. If it doesn't follow the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/lame solo/chorus formula I guess it's just over their heads.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 27, 2006 17:42     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Mez! (tick one more band on the "must buy" list) Seems they're creating their own thing there, very interesting muzak. I can only hope to see them live some day...

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 27, 2006 18:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMN!!! That was pretty intense and cool stuff!!!! I know you've mentioned these guys a few times before and I've listened to something in the past by them but that video of Velocity was great. Might have to seach out the cd.

--------------------

yawn

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 28, 2006 17:14     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Y'know Mez, after listening to a few more of their tracks I somehow get similar vibes that I got out of Thought Industry's "Mods carve the pig" era stuff, even tho it's not the same kind of metal...anyway, I LOVE that kind of a feeling so I reckon Alarum definitely needs to come into my CD player soon. Thanks again dude!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 28, 2006 21:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
speaking of THOUGHT INDUSTRY I have
"Recruited To Do Good Deeds For the Devil" & "Outer Space Is Just A Matini Away" if anyone is interested in these I'd be willing to sell them for $5.00 each plus shipping. I just can't into them... so for anyone open minded enough and would like these, just shoot me an email.

looks like Mez wants these... that was quick

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan