my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Digital cameras and concerts

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital cameras and concerts
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 27, 2006 02:48     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At every show I've ever been to, there was always someone taking pictures, usually "unauthorized pictures." My question is "are people generally allowed to bring cameras into concerts now, or is that still frowned upon?" Personally, I've never tried to sneak one in before, so that's why I'm asking here...see I just got this new digital camera a few months back and I'm going to see the NW Deathfest this sunday here in Seattle...it's taking place at a relatively small venue/bar, so my thinking is that it might not really matter too much if I bring it. Obviously, I don't want it taken away either.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated, because I'd really like to take some pictures of Sadus, Deeds of Flesh, and Obituary...plus my good buds who play in a local band "In Memorium!"

btw, here's the official line-up:

MAIN STAGE:
11:00 - 11:20 Embalmed - Seattle, WA
11:40 - 12:00 Disharmony - Sacramento, CA
12:20 - 12:40 Necrobiosis - Alberta, Canada
01:00 - 01:20 The New Plague - Auburn, CA
01:40 - 02:00 Embryonic Devourment - Laytonville, CA
02:20 - 02:45 Unsanctified - El Monte, CA
03:05 - 03:30 Scorched Earth - Seattle, WA
03:50 - 04:15 Zuckuss - Vancouver, Canada
04:35 - 05:05 Mummification - Laytonville, CA
05:20 - 05:50 Fallen Angels - Seattle, WA
06:10 - 06:40 Wache The Dead - Redmond, OR
07:00 - 07:30 Try Redemption - Denver, CO
07:50 - 08:20 In Memorium - Seattle, WA
08:55 - 09:55 SADUS - Antioch, CA
10:45 - 12:00 OBITUARY - Tampa, FL

SECOND STAGE:

11:20 - 11:40 Doom Lit Sky - Spokane, WA
12:00 - 12:20 Near Life - Santa Rosa, CA
12:40 - 01:00 Damage Overdose - Warm Springs, OR
01:20 - 01:40 Passive Aggressive - San Francisco, CA
02:00 - 02:20 Non-Existence - Seattle, WA
02:40 - 03:05 Desolation - Madras, OR
03:25 - 03:50 Meatshits - Ceres, CA
04:10 - 04:35 Beltfed Weapon - Seattle, WA
04:55 - 05:20 Ceremonial Castings - Vancouver, WA
05:40 - 06:10 Bung - Portland, OR
06:30 - 07:00 Shitstorm - Santa Rosa, CA
07:20 - 07:50 Vulgarizer - Seattle, WA
08:10 - 08:50 SEVERED SAVIOR - San Francisco, CA
10:00 - 10:40 DEEDS OF FLESH - San Luis Obispo, CA

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 27, 2006 06:26     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At that gig I doubt very seriously anybody will care. Now if it was a videocamera that might be a different story.
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted May 27, 2006 10:19     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But please, don't ever try to bring any gadjets to images or sound at a King Crimson concert! EVER.

Fripp can stop the concert and get the hell back to his hotel room and cancelled the gig. And right in the middle of a song.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 27, 2006 11:09     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've wondered about that too. At smaller shows there's almost always some dude with a camera, but at the bigger shows...it's hard to say. My take would be to ask the bands before you shoot. Tell them it's just for you and that you'll send them copies of all the pics you take. The worst they can do is say no. Or kick your ass. Have your buds okay the camera for their set so you can actually bring it in. Then go around and ask each band if it's okay with them.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 27, 2006 13:39     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
some places seem lax about cameras but if you want to avoid problems make sure you clear it with the club. a band can say it's ok but they may not have the time (or inclination) to inform the venue. without a press pass or prior confirmation you could get the boot.
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 27, 2006 15:50     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unless your cool like WINO the problem is the bands always say NO ! so stick one a these under your hat... smaller than a pack of ciggs. i have been hawkeyeing that 720p one for sometime now, perfect match for my new widescreen viewsonic. HD rules.. \m/

www.sanyodigital.com

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 27, 2006 19:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mc Gregor:
But please, don't ever try to bring any gadjets to images or sound at a King Crimson concert! EVER.

Fripp can stop the concert and get the hell back to his hotel room and cancelled the gig. And right in the middle of a song.

you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

--------------------

yawn

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 28, 2006 00:16     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think it'll matter Paul. Plus, I want to see the pics myself!

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 29, 2006 08:40     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mc Gregor:

Maybe he was having a bad hair day? Although even back in the days when he
had hair, it was never what one might call "good".

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 02, 2006 12:29     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I realize that the Deathfest has alredy happened, but this thread reminded me of the last time I saw Voďvod (in SF w/Sepultura). For some reason, it was apparently NOT ok to take pictures, but I tried anyway and got busted while fumbling with my camera and the flash went off, haha.

Here is the evidence of my final shot (see the angry security guard staring at me, bottom right).

He grabbed me and they took my camera until the end of the show. I was relieved that they didn't boot me out, but I was kind of stressed about getting my camera back until the end of the night. My pix all sucked anyway.

So, I'd make sure it's ok with the venue first before you start snaping photos.

Voďvod was awsome BTW. Sepultura was ok, but Derek Green gets on my nerves pretty fast.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted June 02, 2006 13:23     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I ended up NOT taking my camera at the last second, the old lady said no anyway, haha!! It turned out that it was A-okay to bring anything in as they didn't search anyone in the first place, (scary thought considering what happened to Dimebag) cameras were going off left and right of me! (I even got a picture taken of me from In Memorium's vocalist as I was headbanging in front of the stage...Mike, the guitarist, stepped on my hair...not a great feeling having it ripped out before your eyes! ha!) The camera probably would have got lost or broken anyhow, seeing as I was pretty giddy on the old bread-soda! (beer)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 03, 2006 04:26     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am going to the Motorhead show here in Zagreb next Sunday. Still debating if i should bring the camera or not. I doubt that it would be returned to me if taken away. Probably end up on the Gypsy black market or something.

Of course...if it is taken...it will give me an excuse to buy a new & better one!

The show is in a former cattle slaughterhouse. Should be interresting. I will probably be hungry for Cheeseburgers all night. mmmmm...cheeseburgers.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted June 03, 2006 19:48     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Still debating if i should bring the camera or not. I doubt that it would be returned to me if taken away. Probably end up on the Gypsy black market or something.

Just use reasoning.. if ya busted with it dont let em take it, but offer to put it away or something. It works believe me Then when they're gone start snapping again ! If they bug you after that, then resort to violence and just mosh away to distance... or just take a disposble.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 04, 2006 05:15     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL! Thats an excellent idea Hatross! Just resort to violence.
Do you have any idea how many people here would just LOVE the opportunity to kick an American's ass?

Think i will stay very low-key at this event.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 04, 2006 15:58     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:

Here is the evidence of my final shot (see the angry security guard staring at me, bottom right).

Aw that pic is fucking awesome! Angry security gonk! classic.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted June 05, 2006 08:16     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Warrior:
Aw that pic is fucking awesome! Angry security gonk! classic.

Someone needs to take this guy's face and make it an avatar! Priceless!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan