my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Sonic Youth

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sonic Youth
Daneel Oliva
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 803

posted May 26, 2006 23:48     Profile for Daneel Oliva   Email Daneel Oliva     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
anyone here into this band? i've been a fan of these guys for quite some time. one thing that kinda freaked me out once was a friend of one day said "hey , your a voivod fan,, here have this" and he gave me this rock card (like a baseball card) of voivod, and Blacky was wearing a Sonic Youth shirt. i was like "wow, cool! Blacky's a Sonic Youth fan , too!!"

anyways.. i really dig this band... anyone else?

--------------------

I float unseen outside the screen.

|  IP: Logged
Sinister Exaggerator 868
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 805

posted May 27, 2006 18:45     Profile for Sinister Exaggerator 868   Email Sinister Exaggerator 868     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i like the one tune i heard they did with Chuck D.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 29, 2006 10:38     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember that interview Voďvod did for "Metal Maniacs", back in the Negatron days, Away said he went to a SY concert and Thurston Moore came to him praising "Dimension Hatröss", claiming the album was a huge influence on SY.

Sonic Youth are indeed a great band, even if the Hatröss influences are too subliminar to be noticed, at least IMO.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted May 29, 2006 18:15     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes,I've gotten into their music a lot--initially I hated them upon first listen(back in '86)-but as my tastes in music diverged a little more,I heard the album('Goo',I think--not totally sure)w /songs like 'Mildred Pierce','Kool Thing','Titanium Expose". I also liked the "Confusion is Sex" album and soon I'll get the triple CD -release/their earlier works. They're scheduled to do a Houston show this summer-might be persuaded to go if the ticket prices are not astronomical...

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 30, 2006 00:06     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell yeah! Love 'em. One of the coolest shows I saw was SY on the Daydream Nation tour at UNM, abq. In a dining room!!! Sitting on the floor up front and soaking it all in as the university, city and county cops charged in 20 mins. into the set and shut it down! They never returned to Abq. since and that was '88.
One tidbit of wisdom: Never shroom while listening to SY!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 30, 2006 05:15     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everyone who recommends them seems to via "Daydream Nation.", with good reason, it's great. Really stabby, punky song structures with their 'trademark' odd tunings.
(Live, they seemed to use a different guitar for pretty much every song when I saw 'em.)

My favourite though is "Washing Machine.", a real guitar festival basically. Huge dissonant guitar parts, soft ambient sections and much longer song structures. It was hated by the press when it came out, but I think it's fucking perfect. One of my "desert island disc" albums....

farside
VoivodFan
Member # 193

posted May 30, 2006 13:55     Profile for farside   Email farside     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a fan of almost everything they've done. The newer record are really good as well.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 30, 2006 20:48     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
argh. i lost that Rock Card this year. fuck.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan