my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » NECROPHAGMANIA!!!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NECROPHAGMANIA!!!!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2006 09:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy hell sir!!!!!!

I'm still in disbelief. Best live metal experience of my entire life.
I got to see two of my all time favorite bands in one night. Unbelievable. First the venue. Not bad. Used to be a laundromat. Hot as a motherfucker, just ceiling fans running. Acoustics nonexistent but the PA worked pretty well for all the groups. That really surprised the hell out of me. They didn't serve alcohol or allow smoking inside which was a welcome change. Merchandise tables were all set up with plenty of stuff except for some reason the only Necro shirts they had were small, and girl's tees.....they'd sold out of everything else!!!! I get there late as I'd had a business appointment that night. Only missed the first no name band. But thank the stars I made it for the second act!!!!!! Always been a huge fan of Alarum since 'Eventuality' came out. That album is a fantastic listening experience in itself, but to hear the real thing blasted away not ten feet in front of you is a totally different experience. Mark, the bassist had this awesome vintage Pestilence shirt on...not to mention the dude was playing a six stringer...And I mean fucking wail!!!!!!!! He's much more expressive with his vocals onstage than in the studio...hard to explain, like the studio voc's were compressed. Again you've got to see it to understand. They've totally got their own brand of complex jazz-metal that is completely mindblowing. I talked to both Mark and the guitarist after the show. They told me they had about 25 new songs in the working process and they should have them recorded and out by early next year. Bought a killer shirt and their first album and wished them well.
Third band was Neuraxis, (Canadian?) Well played grind. I wasn't familiar enough with their material to know what the hell was going on. Think I'd definitely will buy a cd...would have got one that night but I'd spent all my cash on Alarum.
Arsis, the 4th group up, I found to be pretty boring. I mean they were good at what they were doing and the singer/guitarist pulled off some amazingly ripping solos but....something was lacking. Perhaps dynamics, I mean its like this new scandanavian thrash started by At The Gates where the tempo and basic rhythm is the fucking same time for each song. Dudes, change it up a bit eh? WTF? I was in the minority though cause the crowd really loved them. In fact the singer commented how you'd find the better metal crowd in a smaller town sometimes...
And let me tell you......these bands will not forget Augusta. I mean these bastards went apeshit for each band's set...A great pit, crowdsurfing...there was even a dude jumping from the PA into the kids..who luckily for his ass found some arms. Very hard concrete floor. I'd say atleast 200-300 people showed up. Hopefully both band and venue made $$$$....I was really proud of my southeastern metal brethern...(and a couple of fine young ladies)....
Cattle Decap were next. Singer's histronics were quite amusing. He did this scream which was unusual. To make the sound he'd shoot his tongue out the left side of his mouth and hold it. Also spit on himself a lot. Guitarist was excellent. Napalm Death are obviously a HUGE influence. I hear they're vegans which makes the rather visceral name make more sense.

NECROPHAGIST. First let me say I was astounded to see how young both the drummer and new guitarist are...One looks 12, the other maybe 15. Like they should have been home eating ice cream and playing nintendo instead of up performing the most INTENSE EXCITING DEATH METAL in existence today. Muhammad finally comes out and the crowd roars. The guy is pretty short. Playing this beautiful black BC Rich. When they opened up let me tell you about the crowd action. I was within a foot of the stage with one dude in front of me and Muhammad standing over us. All the bastards push toward the front as soon as the riffs begin!!! And that's the way it was for the next hour...Everybody slammed up against each other and me really wishing it was a girl instead of a young smelly punk I was rammed up against........But hey, welcome to the world of metal. I think the band was pretty surprised by how crazy the crowd was for the band. Fists were pumping, the pit was going...the entire set. It was pure havoc...in almost a transcendant way...I was completely drenched in sweat...on almost another planet emotionally. Because of the crowd crush I had to stand on one foot the whole time. But I didn't even notice...the experience of songs like the mighty Extreme Unction and my favorite Fermented Offal Discharge...did exactly what great art is supposed to do: provide an escape from the world.

They finished up with Discharge and took off. Drummer Hannes took pictures of the maniacs in the crowd who were still hurling themselves around...What a fucking night!! I still wanted to go out afterwards as I hadn't had one single adult beverage the whole night...impossible though. i was totally spent.

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 26, 2006 11:05     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are so many choice quotable Mez-lines in this:

quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

They didn't serve alcohol or allow smoking inside which was a welcome change.

I get there late as I'd had a business appointment that night.

...really wishing it was a girl instead of a young smelly punk I was rammed up against........

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 26, 2006 11:20     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like this one better:

quote:
(...)they should have been home eating ice cream and playing nintendo instead of up performing the most INTENSE EXCITING DEATH METAL in existence today.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2006 13:01     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ALARUM!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2006 13:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The new Necrogunslinger practicing before the show:

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2006 13:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Muhammad, the legend himself:

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 26, 2006 13:22     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So what do necroFAGist sound like anyway?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 26, 2006 14:07     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn, were you shaking with excitement when you took those pics? Funny, the venue they played here didn't serve beer either. Ye olde drunks had to walk to the Chevron on the corner for gross ass beers. I must say I am glad they had small t-shirts, because now I wear mine proudly!

Thanks for the write-up Mez.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 26, 2006 14:18     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
neuraxis are from this neck of the woods mez. they were on tour w/that polish band blacky did sound for.

nice review/photos.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 26, 2006 15:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Vman......Mark does use his fingers:

Not my photo......

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 26, 2006 16:26     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awwww...Cynic T-shirt and a Steinburger! He's missing the strippy pyjama bottoms though.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 26, 2006 18:20     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ah, a steinbarfer. I thought the headstock was crammed into the bassist's earhole from franitc thrashing madness!

Bassist's who use their digits are cool. And they are even cooler with a headstock in their head.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 27, 2006 11:05     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool review buddy. Thanks. Sorry you didn't dig Arsis. Check out some of their tunes at http://www.worshipdepraved.com/ you may change your mind.

I'm still cheesed this tour never made it across Canada. Necrophagist alone would be a big draw here, and in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Believe it or not, the demand for extreme music is really growing here on the prairies! About fucking time too.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 27, 2006 17:45     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Hey Vman......Mark does use his fingers

Seems almost all the best players use their natural picks...thanks for the info!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 28, 2006 13:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Or3meuk1GI&search=necrophagist%20augusta

Thought I was lying about that crowd? Look at those bastards going crazy!!! It ends halfway cause the guy probably got knocked down....

And SEVEN................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yln9i0JxB9E&search=necrophagist

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted May 28, 2006 14:10     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wohoo!
That looked like a once in a lifetime blastfest Mez
Damn, i would have loved to see them.

How many in the audience?

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 29, 2006 10:13     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd said 200 - 300 but I think it was probably more like 150. But for that place it was packed.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 30, 2006 01:02     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a blast Mez! Maybe next time it'll be a pair of titties crammed in your back tho

--------------------

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan