my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Destruction to re-record old classics!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Destruction to re-record old classics!
Surf/Slam82
VoivodFan
Member # 741

posted May 22, 2006 17:12     Profile for Surf/Slam82   Email Surf/Slam82     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
from
www.destruction.de./

"After the North America tour starting May 26th the guys will hit the studio to record a " best of the early years" - album!

"As it´s really difficult to get the old records those days and to avoid a "Best of album" with only old recordings in rather poor quality, we´ve have chosen the solution to re-record many of the 80´s classix including one or two tunes of the Crack Brained album (where SCHMIER wasn´t singing btw!!!) It´s great fun to pick and rehearse the old songs at the moment. With a powerful sound a the brutal energy that the band delivers nowadays, there is no doubt that this will fuckin´ shred!"

awesome !!!

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 22, 2006 22:00     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while, especially for this particular band. The early shit is awesome music, but the recordings & production are absolutely abysmal. (although up to this point, that monster live album served this purpose fairly well)

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 23, 2006 01:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent.....i only have first four albums. It'll be a treat.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 23, 2006 11:29     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not exactly re-recorded but the remixing job done on Megadeth's Killing is My Business was excellent. It sounds 10 times better now.

As far as Destruction goes, good on 'em... but I hope they wont use Peter Tatgren for this. Tatgren production style doesnt suit them at all.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 23, 2006 12:19     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Not exactly re-recorded but the remixing job done on Megadeth's Killing is My Business was excellent. It sounds 10 times better now.

I appreciate the efforts Mustaine put into these remix/remasters but for some reason I prefer the original 'Killing Is My Business...", I dunno it always seemed so dirty and pissed-off, I actually thought the shitty production suited the album. I bought new version (I fuggin' love this album!), but still find myself playing the original more. I can totally understand why Mustaine did this though.

In addition, I think it's important that I direct a big fuck you to Lee Hazelwood for screwing us all out of "These Boots". He hates Megadeth's version but is ok with Jessica Simpson singing it in a Pizza Hut chicken wings commercial... what a douchebag.

I feel the same about those Suicidal Tendencies re-recordings WC.

One re-recording I absolutely love is Testament's "First Strike Still Deadly". Talk about an upgrade... Bringing back Skolnick for solos, DiGiorgio on bass, Tempesta on drums, and production by Andy Sneap! Pretty sweet!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Bilibaldus
VoivodFan
Member # 798

posted May 23, 2006 12:22     Profile for Bilibaldus   Email Bilibaldus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like Re-recordings or Remastered. I love my stuff on vinyl and orginal versions. I hate when band thinks that new versions or new mastering makes it better. Don't shame what you have done just enjoy the energy that you used to have. Sounds these days are such a crap that I hate most bands because of that. Hardly can't here any more thin or creeping guitar sound or mistakes in drummers play or tempo changes. Albums are more like 1 songs so full sounded no air or feeling in it. Boring from the start to the end. Theres no changes in guitar sounds or can't even 'find' guitarist from there cause sounds are so full. Of course I don't mean that everyone does it... But it's boring me in new bands.
I just hope Destruction releases old albums in original versions don't start to do covers own songs. Or don't even remaster those.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 23, 2006 17:24     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
As far as Destruction goes, good on 'em... but I hope they wont use Peter Tatgren for this. Tatgren production style doesnt suit them at all.

I agree fully with ya Skul. I mean, for example 'Antichrist' is a great album but it would be so much better if it didn't sound like Pain. Great songs, too 'full' production like Bilibaldus said. Thrash isn't thrash if it sounds too polished and orchestrated and whatnot...

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 23, 2006 17:31     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that Anthrax redo with Bush album was pretty good.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 23, 2006 23:42     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zCthonz:
that Anthrax redo with Bush album was pretty good.

I second that, great versions.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Surf/Slam82
VoivodFan
Member # 741

posted May 24, 2006 12:06     Profile for Surf/Slam82   Email Surf/Slam82     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the SPV import version of the original
albums and they are ADD disc format and sound
quite good.

The drum sound on 'Infernal Overkill' is so
tight, its raging.

20 years later that album still floors me.

I used to play a tape of it on my walkman
back in the day, and it just played over
and over.

L'Heavy
VoivodFan
Member # 655

posted May 25, 2006 10:23     Profile for L'Heavy   Email L'Heavy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Destruction had always influenced me particularly with their album Infernal Overkill but the last album Inventor of Evil is as good as the first. They'll play here live Friday and I hope earing songs like Death Trap, Tormentor, United By Hatred and certainly The Defiance Will Remain, Soul Collector and The Chosen Ones. The're so many comparisons and contrasts with the first album and the last to be fascinating.

And it's a real good idea that the guys record new versions of their first albums just to improve the sound quality. It will be funny to earing updated tracks.

Surf/Slam82
VoivodFan
Member # 741

posted May 25, 2006 11:19     Profile for Surf/Slam82   Email Surf/Slam82     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If the setlist is anything like the
South American tour, it'll be killer!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan