my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Dimension Hatross lyrics discussion (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Dimension Hatross lyrics discussion
undeadair
VoivodFan
Member # 799

posted May 22, 2006 02:34     Profile for undeadair   Email undeadair     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (but not Voivod), and I am listening to Dimension Hatross a LOT lately after not having heard it since 1990.

Has anyone done a track-by-track analysis of the lyrics on this album? Maybe it's because I'm stone sober but after track 2, the lyrics become increasingly difficult to comprehend. Is there a thread where the songs have been discussed in depth because my search yielded no such results. Googling has proved to be in vain as well.

Anyone care to discuss this masterpiece from a lyrical standpoint?

-undeadair

PS: Nice to meet all of you!

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 22, 2006 08:24     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
welcome to the board and to the coolest forum on the net.

That's an interesting idea to discuss different song lyrics and what we think they mean. Kinda like OPRAH's book club only way cooler and we already know the author is a genius.

Most of the times I listen to VOIVOD I just enjoy the songs as great stories and have images in my head as they lyrics go by. This works really well on THE OUTER LIMITS. A lot of the lyrics on other earlier albums are a bit more abstract and being able to follow the lyrics with having them written down is very helpfull. I really enjoy songs that you NEED the lyric sheet to figure out what they are singing, and it's not because you don't understand the singer, it's because the complexities in the songs are cliche.

--------------------

yawn

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 22, 2006 09:03     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yo, and english as second language isn't helping also. Normally i do not listen closely to the lyrics at all. simply because i know only 80% of the words. Then you are not able to catch what a song is about. i cannot sing along the songs but i can knot my head to the rithem. I wish i could talk about the lyrics a lot... I am going to shuit up and wait for you guys to do the talking...

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 22, 2006 10:14     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome to Morgoth undeadair,

I have no particlar problem with them tho, and I guess I could sing along every song from beginning to end (well, if I sould only sing at all that is)...

reason is that I got a copy of the record that had no lyrics sheet back then (french pressing) so I tried to figure them out until I finally found a german import copy with all the lyrics... yet I coudlnt buy it so I spend every spare time (I was at school back in 198 and went to the record shop to learn the lyrics song after song and I laid them on paper when I got home in the evening... hopefully the record wasnt sold before I could make it through, in about 2 weeks that is...

I personnaly live DH Lyrics a lot... I
think they are plain brilliant and match perfectly with the futuristic concept put forward with the music... true theres lotsa scientific and technical terms...

the imagery is quite strong if you ask me and I think the lyrics are very impressive and you can pretty well figure out parts of the action...

to me, DH is the best album of all times, ever...

"without frontiers, there's no respect"

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

undeadair
VoivodFan
Member # 799

posted May 22, 2006 12:11     Profile for undeadair   Email undeadair     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It's really great to be surrounded by so many Voivodians!

For a band that has such a deep concept running through the majority of their albums, I was more than surprised at the lack of forum for a place to discuss it!

So many people proclaim their brilliance and I've no doubt they've got something damn interesting to say, but English is their second language (as was pointed out previously) so it's not always clear what they're trying to say (for these ears, anyway).

I'll get the ball rolling, and please feel free to jump into the particle accelerator with me and join in.

1) Experiment - This one is pretty easy, especially if you have the CD. There's an introduction to the story on the inside cover of the booklet.

First verse:

"Loud echoes from the end
Nothing but a flat lie
All I need is a new world
Create my universe"

The Voivod's current planet is entering its last days, I'd say. This is basically a last ditch effort to survive, and if this experiment fails, he's more than happy to stay dead. ("If my body cannot stand / don't wanna be born again")

"I think I've found the way
I wanna move not stay
Time is fast and so unsafe
Conquest is what I can expect
Without frontiers there's no respect
The less you give the more I take"

"Time is fast and so unsafe" eludes me, really. Maybe he means that the end is REALLY goddamn near, so he's better get going. The rest of the verse explains his desire to find another dimension to conquer. ("Without frontiers there's no respect") is a puzzling line. Respect from whom? the Voivod or the people he is conquering? Perhaps the line "the less you give the more I take" shows that he will have no mercy on whoever he comes across and the less fight they put up, the harsher he will be on them? If any of this is correct, so far Voivod is very much like Vlad the Impaler from history.

The rest of the lyrics explain the experiment, the particles colliding and his body being transformed and shuttled to this new micro-galaxy known as "Dimension Hatross" (I read somewhere that Hatross was a combination of the words HATE and ATROCITY).

Anyone want to tackle Tribal Convictions?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 22, 2006 12:13     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Perhaps Snake himself could join in the convo... but i hear they're doing press abroad this week.

As far as Tribal Convictions go, the Voivod is immediately hailed as a deity once he enter the dimension, thus sparking a full blown holy war.

undeadair
VoivodFan
Member # 799

posted May 22, 2006 12:22     Profile for undeadair   Email undeadair     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A holy war against whom?

2 different tribes on that planet?

I absolutely love the "Who's the god, who's the dog" part. Obviously this means master/slave, but I'm just not quite sure who this is referring to. I'm only seeing one tribe represented in the song. Can anyone clarify?

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 22, 2006 12:33     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by undeadair:
A holy war against whom?

Oprah's book club members.

(heh, sorry couldn't resist. hello to you, unborn, uhm, undeadair)

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 22, 2006 13:50     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Oprah's book club members.

HAHA sorry, couldn't resist either.
That pic busts my gut fiercely, without fail.

I'll be a good boy now.
Welcome undeadair, you have one of the all-time coolest usernames.
Did you make that up?

Now, I'll go dig out my copy of DH & try to participate properly.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 22, 2006 14:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so you're basically telling me these song AREN'T about "cars, drugs, and getting laid"??? If that's the case I don't want anything to do with it!!!! ha ha ha

Joking!!!

Interesting theories on the lyrics, I feel this is going to be a good thread.
Listening to the new OSI now but when I have time I'll try figuring out one of the VOIVOD stories

--------------------

yawn

undeadair
VoivodFan
Member # 799

posted May 22, 2006 16:00     Profile for undeadair   Email undeadair     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Welcome undeadair, you have one of the all-time coolest usernames.
Did you make that up?

Now, I'll go dig out my copy of DH & try to participate properly. [/QB]

Thanks! And yes, I made it up all by myself. I used to host an internet metal radio show on Seismic Radio many moons ago and I thought it was a clever name and although the show is gone, I always liked the play on words.

Hurry and dig out that DH booklet and let's dissect this beast!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 22, 2006 17:34     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this page has a pretty cool description of all the albums by one of us:
http://www.voivodfan.com/morgoth_bio_neutronboy2000.htm

altho, id be up for puzzling out lyrics meanings. always fun.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 22, 2006 18:21     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If i recall this was tried before with mabye AngelRat release ? also possibly on a different board... things did'nt go too well for the scrutinizing party.

But i have a theory, anyone not in our tribe are that other tribe you might be refering to. A mind is a galaxy of its own and voivods lyrics are heavy on the metaphorics. 'imo'

quote:
Snake:

My self-creation
I'm in the machine
Going through my dreams

undeadair
VoivodFan
Member # 799

posted May 22, 2006 18:59     Profile for undeadair   Email undeadair     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatross:

But i have a theory, anyone not in our tribe are that other tribe you might be refering to. A mind is a galaxy of its own and voivods lyrics are heavy on the metaphorics. 'imo'

Excellent point! The "us vs. them" mentality is definitely part and parcel to the whole tribe, religion, political, music-fandom thing.

This sort of discussion I like. The album concepts as a whole may be pretty easy to grasp, but the fun stuff is in the details, I think. Sure we may not divine what Snake really meant when he wrote the words, but I think it's pretty obvious that his intention wasn't for it to be completely literal. Nonetheless, it's a good workout for the brain!

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted May 22, 2006 20:55     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This line in Brain Scan throws me for a loop...

"Don't ask'em to give a break
You can't even close the gate"

Unless you take it literally, then it just seems random...

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 22, 2006 23:05     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chaosmongirll:
This line in Brain Scan throws me for a loop...

"Don't ask'em to give a break
You can't even close the gate"

Unless you take it literally, then it just seems random...

i always took it as meaning when they were scanning your brain, there was a pathway set up, like a guitar signal, y'know with a gate?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted May 23, 2006 00:08     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zCthonz:
i always took it as meaning when they were scanning your brain, there was a pathway set up, like a guitar signal, y'know with a gate?

Hmm, that works!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 23, 2006 05:33     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by undeadair:
"Time is fast and so unsafe" eludes me, really. Maybe he means that the end is REALLY goddamn near, so he's better get going. The rest of the verse explains his desire to find another dimension to conquer. ("Without frontiers there's no respect") is a puzzling line. Respect from whom? the Voivod or the people he is conquering? Perhaps the line "the less you give the more I take" shows that he will have no mercy on whoever he comes across and the less fight they put up, the harsher he will be on them? If any of this is correct, so far Voivod is very much like Vlad the Impaler from history.

thats quite interesting...
"Time is fast and so unsafe" &
"Without frontiers theres no respect"
are 2 lines I used to use as a signature on forums... hope my understanding of both is smart enough or I'll be as dumb as I look

Time is fast and so unsafe, means to me that time goes (too) fast not to take advantage of whatever comes your way today... death may come anytime...
"and then one day you find 10 years have got behind you, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" thats Pink Floyd and thats pretty close IMO

Without frontiers theres no respect brings a great philosophical discussion forward... if you (man) cant define any limits that you shall not trespass then theres no respect at all cause you can allow yourself every possible thing, even against other ppl... Science always need to go further (be it unconsciously or not) and push limits of what is known/possible further...

that guy invented dynamite and when he saw what his *toy* was used for, he fought for peace... hence the name Nobel prize... Einstein discovered radioactivity... and Openheimer designed a bomb... now we are cloning sheep, horses... you see it can be tempting to try if it would work with a human being...

if you want a closer explanaation of the songs theres a scan somewhere on this site, at least I guess it still is... I sent it to Warcorpse in the very beginning and its a inlay which was to be found in later DH french pressings with a song by song musical and lyrical analysis... it pretty well gives the main ideas brought forward...

cheers!

"can't compromise my reason"...

--------------------

what do you mean?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 23, 2006 09:25     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Time is fast and so unsafe": i don't really know the meaning, but it sure sounds very cool. Go ahead, just say it out loud!

I'm pretty sure that "Technocratic Manipulators" is inspired by Orwell's "1984" (the mention of telescreens) or by the tv show "The Prisoner" ("they got a number between their eyes" being a nod to the fact that all the characters in "The Prisoner" had numbers instead of names), or by both (well, you can say that "The Prisoner" was based on "1984", so...).

But I have a question: who (or what) are "the preconceived children"?

"Let me know, before I go..."

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted May 23, 2006 19:46     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indeed this is a very interesting topic so I thought I'd join the fray..Cthon-thanks for the plug on my Morgoth bio. The 'Dimension Hatross" album was a huge influence on my interest in scientific news-I was always into the fiction as a kid but in high school(Phys Science),it kinda bored me but after listening to the album,I fell hard for scientific things like "black hole theory"/"Big Bang"/quantum physics/ancient civilizations/robotics/atoms and evolution..etc. The album sounded like a self-replicating mix of high-tech-tick-tock "hurling towards the vortex" inward/outward emergency alert with cold,precise alien intelligence/anti-citizen digital rebellious energy displacement with a uniquely youthful Canadian flair(I know it's a weird description but I like using my imagination). Guitars like speeding comets that alternately metamorphosize into oppressively powerful sonic quakes/Bass like fuzzy optic-laser mainframes/Drums that orchestrate like highly organized atomic particles/Vocals-eerie mech-resonance,robotomatic reverb that questions every aspect of life like a never-ending equation/proto-Overlord chrome-inflected verbal Voivodisms(lyrics). I ended up making about 30 different drawings from listening to this record/did a really silly video for drama class("Brain Scan"). Snake and Away came up with some great images of their multi-level parable-"No sun for the grey children...means their brain mutations...Head is like a burning house..what can I do for my rescue...inverse the strike to take the lead...Sky is red,nature falls in disgrace...the quasar is coming ordered by my mind,spreading x-rays making the system blind...flying lord,god of all time-have no fear we trust...it is the leader of our sacred wars.." and perhaps two of the best lyrical lines I've seen from a band yet-"You better shake up your mind coz if you're just staying blind,integrity you won't find"/"Evolution isn't a shame,each member stays in the game.." Fucking brilliance!
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted May 23, 2006 22:56     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

Maybe they are the unborn. The children that will be left cleaning up the mess we make.

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 24, 2006 02:47     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:

well, I would take its a hint to Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"... y'know, when embryos are cloned and bred in tubes receiving various *food* and *care* according to what they are destined to be...
and as kids they are listening to *lessons* (messages) during their sleep as its theoretised that what you hear when you sleep you will know the morning after...

"during the night my souls is hearing
usual advertising, messages that I'm still learning
1,000 times its a routine
should be enough to fall asleep"
(...)
"is it the same message for preconceived children"

--------------------

what do you mean?

Nox
VoivodFan
Member # 801

posted May 24, 2006 03:45     Profile for Nox   Email Nox     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally i have no prob with the lyrics...I like them a lot ....I listen to DH for a very long time and never cared for a Full analysis of them..I just bag my head and enjoy it.

Welcome to hell Friend!!!

--------------------

††† In the name of God,impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation.Amen †††

undeadair
VoivodFan
Member # 799

posted May 24, 2006 12:07     Profile for undeadair   Email undeadair     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd like to thank everyone for posting their ideas. If people keep posting their thoughts, I plan on making a song by song article with all your opinions (full credit would be given, of course!). Doing one for each album would be fun.

Here's something interesting I learned last night:

The DNA molecule is made up of very long chains of the 4 bases: A, C, G and T.

(adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine)

("The four basic forces are ready and fixed")

Also, in reading NeutronBoy's amazing article, it finally occured to me that the "four basic forces" also could mean each member of the band.

Check out these amazing DNA animations and tutorials here:
http://www.dnai.org/lesson/go/9804/8122

Nox
VoivodFan
Member # 801

posted May 24, 2006 13:00     Profile for Nox   Email Nox     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well..if u Undeadair want to make a song like this u said ...
i will be very happy to help u if u want so!

--------------------

††† In the name of God,impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation.Amen †††

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan