my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » A perspective on downloading/filesharing

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A perspective on downloading/filesharing
Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted May 17, 2006 22:47     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi everyone!

I had recently promised to share a text w you about p2p/filesharing. The following is an EDIT of a text regarding The Residents, an avant garde group from the US who have been making experimental music, art and film for over 35 years now. They had made a few recordings before their first official releases, recordings which remain officially unreleased because they disavow them. Some "leaked." I thought that the perspective from a mid-sized sales band (numbers not too different than Voivod) might be of interest to some. This was written by Hardy Fox, one of their co-horts/management.

------------

"The first thing is to say that, any assumptions that file sharing is acceptable, without explicit permission from the artist, is completely wrong... (snip)

"The excuse that music artists and record companies are all rich pigs doesn't hold up with 90% of the music artists and record companies. It is like saying everyone who goes to college is rich. Most people struggle to afford college. The truth is that anyone who has the technical facilities for downloading music is a rich pig even if they do it at the library.

"The excuse that music should be free is a good one because it is true. Music, like food, should be free. But you still have to pay for convenience. You can't walk out of the supermarket with a box of cereal. You have to pay because you didn't grow the grain and process the food and add sugar you made yourself and all the other things that went into putting a box of cereal in a store. Same with music. Make your own and it is free. Get someone else to make it, buy equipment, hire studios and such … and you have to pay for that convenience. Believe me, it is cheaper to buy songs than it is to make songs."

--------------

Best, PAULIE

PS I know that everyone here is a VOIVOD maniac, and we will all be BUYING the official release. But please know, participating in the activity is tantamount to condoning it. With that out of the way, I'm looking forward to KATORZ!

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 18, 2006 03:15     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Taken from a recent Celtic Frost interview with Tom @ http://www.criticalmass.se/

Q: The ”Monotheist” promo has leaked on the Internet already. What’s your opinion on file sharing and music downloading?

A: That is a question that is almost impossible to answer… ehhmmm, I’m also one who downloads and shares files, I enjoy the Internet, I love the Internet. On the other hand, realistically speaking, I’m also a musician and I need to pay for the albums I make and I cannot go to a grocery store and take like bread and milk from the shelves and just walk out without paying and then come back the next day and expect everything to be full again. It’s very difficult, I see both sides, I’m involved in both sides. On the other hand, when I download tracks from the internet and I really like them, then I do want to have the CD too, and I want to look at the booklet and everything. It usually leads me to go and buy the CD as well, so… who am I to know what the perfect solution is? I’ve been thinking about it a lot, and if I knew the solution to all of this, and what the right way is, I probably would be a genious. I really don’t know where this is gonna lead.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 18, 2006 10:47     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Paulie, even though I understand where you're heading with that quote, I think comparing music to food is ridiculous. Food is not for convenience, it's for survival. Music trading, on the other hand, existed from way back when cassete tapes were the ultimate technology. I'm the first to admit I do trade stuff, but when I like what I hear, I'll go buy the original thing. But then, I do have the money for it. What about the ones who doesn't? Will they buy CDs instead of... food? Come on.

Plus: everyone here knows that unles a band is a multi-million seller, the real source for money in the music business (for the bands, not for the corporations) is concerts and merchandise selling, not the mere cents per copy of the CD sales.

That being said, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 18, 2006 12:20     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everybody dogs on people for downloading music yet I never hear anything about used CD purchases... Nothing wrong with supporting your local retailor, in fact I encourage it, but keep in mind that no royalties whatsoever are going to the band at that point either.

Honest and true music is more culture than product and therefore is going to be shared no matter what people say... This has been going on since the dawn of time and yes, even before capitalism (gasp). I download anything and everything I want to check out and buy everything I can find and afford, same as I always did.

One of the major problems with this whole industry how royalties are handled. Interesting topic BTW.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 18, 2006 12:30     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In the 80's it was home-taping that was 'killing' music. Now it's downloading. I say it's record companies that throw massive amounts of cash at worthless 'artists' and think they can force-feed us the results. Then when no one buys it, it's the fault of the internet. Let people hear the music. If it's good enough, they'll buy it.

I'm sure we had this same conversation when the last Voivod album came out!

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 18, 2006 12:35     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wish you could download food, because I really could go for a steak and cheese.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 18, 2006 15:01     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.steakandcheese.com

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 18, 2006 18:22     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gotta say I totally agree with what X-D and H posted. Shit, back when the thrash scene started it was the underground tapes that got bands listened to around the world. Make a demo, pass it on record it for a friend and the weed continues until a shit load of people have copies and the band can tour to people who have heard their material and then get a record deal based on how many people have their tapes and how many people come to shows. Now it's just faster and easier and the undreground tape culture has been replace by the internet. bands need to know how to utilize the technology to benefit themselves and then offer something interesting when a "hard copy" if offered up for sale to the public. Make them want it, for better quality and interesting packaging. (yeah, i mentioned this on another thread).

--------------------

yawn

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted May 18, 2006 21:45     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gotcha, thanks for the responses! I realize that there's cracks in the facade there, but again, it wasn't written by me! But it was from someone I do respect, and it's a timely topic for the consideration.

And I just downloaded a pizza.

Very best, PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted May 18, 2006 23:52     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
Honest and TRUE music is more culture than product

THANKS LARS !

I could'nt agree more xd, somewhere along the way it just was'nt fun anymore, but business as usual...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan