my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » VOIVOD Launch Exclusive "Making Of" Katorz Trailer (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: VOIVOD Launch Exclusive "Making Of" Katorz Trailer
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted May 17, 2006 16:07     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From the good folks of The End Records!

VOIVOD Launch Exclusive "Making Of" Katorz Trailer On MP3.com; Reveal Album Artwork, Tracklisting

2006-05-17 15:55:18

Canada’s pioneering metal band VOIVOD has teamed up with mp3.com to host a 5-minute trailer about the making of the band’s new album Katorz, set for release in North America on July 25th, via The End Records.

The 5-minute trailer – containing footage from a documentary in the works about the life of Voivod guitarist Denis ‘Piggy’ D’Amour - was assembled and directed by Canadian documentary filmmaker Sam Dunn (Metal: A Headbanger's Journey), who's stellar film includes the last known filmed interview with Piggy. See Sam's travel journal at http://www.metalhistory.com/ to read his comments on meeting and filming Voivod.

It contains exclusive footage of the recording process of Katorz and interview segments with drummer Michel Langevin, singer Denis Belanger, bassist Jason Newsted and producer Glen Robinson (Voivod’s Nothingface). Revealed is how the demo tracks from Denis D'Amour, guitar parts that guitarist Piggy had finished before his untimely death in August 2005, were re-amped to form the foundation of this new record.

As of today, Wednesday May 17th, 2006, fans can check out the entire trailer by clicking here.
Le TRAILER du MAKING OF

The End Records has officially unveiled the album cover for Katorz, which can be seen here.
COVER KATORZ

The album features the following tracklisting: 'The Getaway', 'Dognation', 'Mr Clean', 'After All', 'Odds & Frauds', 'Red My Mind', 'Silly Clones', 'No Angel', 'The X-Stream', 'Polaroids'.

About the artwork for Katorz, drummer Michel 'Away' Langevin (who creates all the artwork for Voivod) comments: "Most people will probably expect the usual strange Voivod creature on the cover, but the truth is I really wasn't in the right mood to create monsters this time around. Instead, out of respect for Piggy, I decided to design something more band-oriented, with encouragements from Snake and Jason. For the CD itself, we used the title handwritten by Piggy. It was scanned from one of the Pro-Tools CDs. For the booklet, I used many sketches done while listening to the demos over the last couple of years. The idea was to keep it consistent with the album, since a lot of it was pulled from demos. We wanted to keep the art raw and honest, much like the music of Katorz.”

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 17, 2006 16:17     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Woohoo!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 17, 2006 16:32     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is awsome! Thanks for the post Ron!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted May 17, 2006 16:37     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was fucking awesome!

nuff said

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 17, 2006 16:43     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All I can say is:

!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted May 17, 2006 16:52     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GREAT !!!!!

Nice to see the artwork in high resolution !
I like it!

I can't wait to see the whole documentary, it's a really good idea and it make an hommage to Piggy too.

Thanks RON !

--------------------

Remembered in space....
to the DEATH...... et à l'INFINI
www.disjonk.com
Ethereal Chrysalis

VOIVOD tribute video We Are Connected

VOIVOD: Kluskap O' Kom music video

ETHEREAL CHRYSALIS - Lovecraftian fantastic short film directed by Syl Disjonk

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted May 17, 2006 17:25     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
W W

What a wonderful tribute to Piggy.

Thanks Voivod!

RageAholic
VoivodFan
Member # 795

posted May 17, 2006 18:29     Profile for RageAholic   Email RageAholic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that's great news.
So there was 23 songs plus another 30 Piggy had ready to be recorded!!!damn!!!

I hope it all gets released.

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted May 17, 2006 19:13     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked the interview with Jason talking about Piggy's guitar technique and his bizzaro tunings - just proves that Piggy was an innovator and a smart guitarist. It also reminded me of an interview I read.. it might have been with Away or Snake where they talk about Piggy checking out Voivod guitar tab as interpreted by 'experts' and him having a good chuckle at how wrong it was.
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 17, 2006 20:33     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck yes! What a great teaser for the cd and dvd.

How incredibly exciting!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 17, 2006 21:17     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, after hearing those little clips in that trailer.......I REALLY WANT TO HEAR THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks for letting me vent. Hmm..wonder what's for supper?

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted May 17, 2006 22:31     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nevermind the album, I wanna see this documentary! (ok, so "mind" the album...)

On a side note, I noticed they were streaming Ihsahn's new album whilst I was on MP3.com watching that clip. So I listened to it. And I think I like it but while I'm listening to it they've got a list of "featured audio" and prominently featured in that list is Nick Lachey. Talk about cognitive dissonance....

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 17, 2006 22:59     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why won't this work?

And do NOT fucking tell me I need WMP 9 or 10 to watch it. FUCK Windows Media Player, fuck MP3.com. I hope none of you are using this filthy, corrupt, intrusive program on your comps.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted May 17, 2006 23:00     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Watched it, loved it. The album pieces still sound very "rock" to me but I'm still looking forward to it.

By the way, Jason is (again) wrong about the tuning, at least to a certain extent. Piggy used more than one (actually, I think more than two) different tunings, depending on the need. I spoke with him in CT when they were touring on Negatron, I asked for the tuning, and wrote it down on a poster tube that I still have somewhere (I had him and Away sign the Outer Limits poster). The top strings had standard intervals between them, it was the lower strings that were non-standard. At other times he was playing with a standard intervals across the board for older songs (Nuclear War, Ravenous Medicine) though the tuning was now dropped a step. My point is, he didn't always make those "bar-finger" chords that Jason was referring to. Sometimes, yes. One of my favorite sets of riffs is the verse and chorus for Fix My Heart. Standard tuning, all those "whannngg!" chords as Jason called them was done with fingering. I saw them on that tour as well, never took my eyes off the man.

Best, (obsessive) PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 18, 2006 03:03     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't know Snake and Away had french-accents.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted May 18, 2006 04:22     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie 88:
Watched it, loved it. The album pieces still sound very "rock" to me but I'm still looking forward to it.

By the way, Jason is (again) wrong about the tuning, at least to a certain extent. Piggy used more than one (actually, I think more than two) different tunings, depending on the need. I spoke with him in CT when they were touring on Negatron, I asked for the tuning, and wrote it down on a poster tube that I still have somewhere (I had him and Away sign the Outer Limits poster). The top strings had standard intervals between them, it was the lower strings that were non-standard. At other times he was playing with a standard intervals across the board for older songs (Nuclear War, Ravenous Medicine) though the tuning was now dropped a step. My point is, he didn't always make those "bar-finger" chords that Jason was referring to.

Geez, I think you're being a bit harsh on ol' Jason there Paulie. Being the only other 'guitarist' in the band for the past 4 or so years I think Jason would have a reasonably good idea of the tunings Piggy used.
I don't think he infered that Piggy only used one type of tuning or played one finger bar chords all the time either.

And yes, the album is very much rock/metal oriented with a dash of punk... I'm pretty sure all Voivodians will find something to smile about listening to this album.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 18, 2006 07:20     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FUCKING AWESOME! Thanks for posting the link. So cool to see Away playing in front of the old backdrop.
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 18, 2006 08:02     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Awesome!!!! This is going to be so great! Thanks Voivod!

(Hehe, great new avatar, skul!)

quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloudz:
I didn't know Snake and Away had french-accents.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 18, 2006 11:34     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck, it won't play for me. It sits there and does nothing, even if left while going for a dump.

I'm running Win 98 and have the "most updated" Windoze Media Player for that OS (version 9). Could it be I need the codecs in version 10 or something? This happens on every site that has an imbedded newer-looking Windoze Media Player like this one.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 18, 2006 11:51     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonutz:
This artwork somehow reminds me of Let It Be. And the situation was also somewhat similar - the band was already done by then, only John was still alive...

Sorry if I sound sad, but...

I couldnt agree with you more on that post.
Rest in peace John and Piggy.

Hey...is there any way someone will have this available to Download?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 18, 2006 18:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
very cool little documentary
can't wait to see the entire thing.

--------------------

yawn

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 19, 2006 01:19     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
I'm running Win 98...

Join the miserable club. I hate this kind of 'No-Choice' bullshit.

BTW, good luck with all that WMP 9 & 10 crap. For one thing, you'll probably NEVER be able to completely remove the program from your comp. (and that blows tenfold, because removing it is exactly what you should do)

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted May 19, 2006 04:14     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Join the miserable club. I hate this kind of 'No-Choice' bullshit.

BTW, good luck with all that WMP 9 & 10 crap. For one thing, you'll probably NEVER be able to completely remove the program from your comp. (and that blows tenfold, because removing it is exactly what you should do)

Can't watch the damn thing either, using Mac OSX..... Maybe try coming evening another browser like Ron wrote and watch it

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted May 19, 2006 05:07     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey DBC - it plays fine for me using OSX. I'm using the Firefox browser, dunno if doing the same will help you...
Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted May 19, 2006 09:04     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Death Brain Cell's:
Can't watch the damn thing either, using Mac OSX..... Maybe try coming evening another browser like Ron wrote and watch it

Honestly, it ONLY works with IE - the lastest version for MAC OSX.

Eleven browsers on my HD, and ONLY IE worked!
And they say Apple is not "compatible".

IE has been discontinued by M$ earlier this year.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan