my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Katorz Appreciation Thread! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Katorz Appreciation Thread!
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 12, 2006 09:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's amazing how such stunning beauty can come from the ugliest of situations.

That's "Katorz", in a nutshell.

I hate to sound cliché, but I'd say that Piggy saved his best for last. Not only that, but the work put into this thing by the remaining members of the band is truly a testament of the strenght of their heart. Snake, especially, hasnt sounded this focused and this good in years! When he said in one of the diaries that he sang his lungs out, he wasnt kidding. Away's drumwork is pretty cool. And the bass sound is one dirty bitch! Jason reportedly recorded his parts with a 10-watt amp, yet it works extremely well! It may not be the sound of the blower bass, but it comes pretty close!

So yah, i like it. Heh.

For some reason, it reminds me of DH. Not on the surface, but it's got the aggression that Nothingface or AR or TOL didnt have. It's also a whole lot trippier than the self-titled album... and i do mean trippy!

The whole album is a standout... but if i'm going to name names, "Red My Mind" would be around the top. "The Getaway" for some reason reminds me of Thin Lizzy's Thunder and Lightning. It drives! "The X-Stream" is the most main-stream (oh look, a pun!) on the album. Wait til you hear the rest!

Man, i CANT WAIT to hold this puppy in my paws!

|  IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 12, 2006 09:09     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Katorz = 14 karat of gold. It took me a few listens to really appriciate it. Way better then the S/T. Also Jason is sounding a lot better this one. I haven't figured out what songs i like most but imo there are no fillers on this album. I think there were some fillers on the last one (about cigars and so..)You can defenetely hear there is put a lot of energy in this album. It is very well done. A high quality album.

Love it. To you who haven't heard it yet i can say with all my heart that it is one of the better albums.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 12, 2006 09:34     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I do appreciate Katorz.

It is, how shall I put it... FUCKING AWESOME.

I give it and a half Korgulls out of 5!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 12, 2006 11:57     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I have nothing much else to add as you guys have pretty much covered it. I especially agree with Skul's reference to Snake's singing. Man, if that's not one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard him deliver... just amazing!

It's all still sinking in...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 12, 2006 14:07     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and there's a couple of killer guitar-solos too!

Yay!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted May 12, 2006 14:30     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
still digging here, but very impressed. A true Voivod album, with everythng i need ! ouch !

Aggressiveness, solos, bizzare things, special effects, great bass sound, incredible drumming, great voice mix and a touch of melancolie in the end...

Wow ! I will listen to it in loop for a couple of months i think.

Now i just wait for the booklet.

Sorry guys for the illegal download, but i just can't wait anymore

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted May 12, 2006 15:37     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Bastards,bastards,all of you...! Just kidding,ya lucky bastards got to experience the"Monster album" close up..Oh well,no whining here-I'll just wait until 25th juillet for the Experiment to proceed. 'Til then my anticipation grows like a funnel...spinning at 300 miles an hour..........

Cthon
Member # 156

posted May 12, 2006 18:23     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
like X-D said, Skul has covered it. the DH comparison has been floating around my mind, also. its the closest comparison, altho the last album is there, too, in spirit. id like to remention how awesome Snake sounds on here. id say this is his best vocal performance on anything. he stole the show, man.

the whole thing is just them. they arent trying to be the heaviest/most avant garde fucking band on the planet. they are just being themselves...which always sounds like no one but them. being yourself = the perfect musical philosophy. too bad so many other bands cant fathom such a simple concept. i cant wait to read the lyrics and look at the pretty pictures.

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

Seeate
VoivodFan
Member # 480

posted May 12, 2006 19:36     Profile for Seeate   Email Seeate     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I caved in to my Voivod addiction and downloaded Katorz. It sucks that the album has been leaked, but it almost seems the norm these days. I guess all it takes is someone to grab a press copy and burn it to their hdd and 'baamm' it's all over the place.

However, I'm not disappointed that I've had a chance to listen to it. Like everyone else has said, it's a great album.. full of passion and attitude. When you consider the circumstances surrounding the making of the album it really is an incredible result.
Overall I think the album has a raw and dirty punk vibe mixed up with some powerful and aggressive metal/rock delivery.
Then there are the eerie acoustic interludes by Piggy that send a shiver up your spine.
Snake is in fine form, snd I agree.. he does tend to steal the show a little - great stuff.
All-round the band have produced a fine recording that should please even the most skeptical Voidofans

Fav song? DOGNATION ... so far

I'll be pre-ordering 2 copies!

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted May 12, 2006 19:37     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This album kicks total ass...
-listening to this makes piggy's death seem so unbelievable... and yes he did save some of the best for last!
-glenn robinson sure knows how to record drums, especially away's!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted May 12, 2006 19:59     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anything:
glenn robinson sure knows how to record drums, especially away's!

very much agreed!

I like the way he makes the drums sound as "natural" and organic as possible (no electronic-trigger-sounding-effect-driven-hoopla) and the drums are always mixed loud and in your face!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 12, 2006 21:00     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i hate it when records get leaked.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 13, 2006 00:05     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Silly Clones" is an early favourite of mine, real catchy song. "The Getaway" also. Only listened to it a couple of times at work, so I still have to seat and absorbe it. So far it reminded me a lot of the s/t album, but, as I said, I only listened to it twice, so I'm sure my opinion will change.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 13, 2006 00:28     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I refuse to download this. I used to download a TON of shit, but then went and bought almost everything I downloaded, because I felt guilty. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Plus, I like to have the real thing anyways. I have a pretty good ear and realy dislike the poor quality of MP3's. Even at really high bitrates they just don't sound right to me. The stuff I haven't bought yet is either OOP or I didn't like it.

For those of you who recieved advance copies I want to know how you came by them. Are you personal friends with the guys or someone at the label or are you reviewing it for some obscure zine/website you haven't told us about? How can I get in on the advance copy action?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 13, 2006 01:19     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
I have a pretty good ear and realy dislike the poor quality of MP3's. Even at really high bitrates they just don't sound right to me.

I am glad you brought this point up, Nuc. This is exactly the reason why I think downloading material shouldn't be such a crime, because it ISN'T the same as the real thing.

--------------------

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 13, 2006 02:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Waiting for the full Europe release here.
I refuse to download this as well.

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted May 13, 2006 04:07     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fewz:
I am glad you brought this point up, Nuc. This is exactly the reason why I think downloading material shouldn't be such a crime, because it ISN'T the same as the real thing.

I'm tempted to download it too and asked somebody for the the link....., but didn't downloaded it till now. How more I read about it on the net, how more difficult it is for not going out for the quest!

You have a point for sure, mp3 doesn't sound like the real thing, like I still listen to my old Zeppelin in vinyl, it's the same reason

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 13, 2006 05:52     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lynn:
Waiting for the full Europe release here.
I refuse to download this as well.

Same here Kula...err, Jeff Downloading Katorz would just somehow feel completely wrong . Can't even exactly point out why, but let's just say I don't want to spoil the fun of getting the actual package in my hands, placing the disc in the player (with trembling hands) and...aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Voivod bliss and a clean conscience, hehehe!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 13, 2006 06:40     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinenz:
Same here Kula...err, Jeff Downloading Katorz would just somehow feel completely wrong . Can't even exactly point out why, but let's just say I don't want to spoil the fun of getting the actual package in my hands, placing the disc in the player (with trembling hands) and...aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Voivod bliss and a clean conscience, hehehe!

Very well spoken, you just do that.

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 13, 2006 09:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinenz:

Agreed!!! My rule on this is if I listen to something I downloaded more than once I have to go out and buy the actual product. Especially if its a band thats still active and trying to make a living with music.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 13, 2006 09:15     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I already know i'm going to hell... it's not an extra sin that's gonna make a difference.

Haha!

I respect those who could wait. I couldn't... the temptation was just too overwhelming.

But while you probably know that you wont be disapointed in the least with Katorz, you just have no idea how fucking brilliant it is! You'll see!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 13, 2006 10:50     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
but... this thread is kind of like someone telling you what you're getting for christmas... just my opinion...
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 13, 2006 12:19     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're right... but at the same time, this is no different than the song-by-song detailed description issued by BW&BK several weeks ago.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 13, 2006 12:35     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i guess if you make the assumption that bwbk did their review from a download of a torrent file then you're right, it's the same thing. if they got a pre-release from the record company then it's not kind of not. anyway, it's not my intention to pass judgement here.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 13, 2006 12:48     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh i didnt mean it like that... i had more of the "let's generate even more anticipation for the actual release" aspect in mind. I meant no harm creating this thread, but let's face it: it's out there, some of us heard it, so why not discuss it?

Of course it's unfortunate that the album has leaked, especially so soon (10 weeks prior! Wtf?) but that was inevitable. It also raises the question: who did it?

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan