my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Understanding Tool (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Understanding Tool
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 12, 2006 04:46     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:
I have that album too! Awsome!

Slow Music....baby

--------------------

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 12, 2006 06:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fewz:
I heard him basically do NOTHING last weekend and I was still impressed

that's just it... the guy can do the most ambient mellow stuff that could put ya to sleep for days and then turn around and do some improv that would shred your face off. he's created his own tuning, taught it to lots of lucky guitarists, from his soundscapes, to guitar craft, to King Crimson, to everything in between there just no denying his genius.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 12, 2006 09:26     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Sometimes stores actually will play cool stuff and for shoppers and create sales.. but most of the time they play shite.

I was in a record store in Québec City, and they were playing a Snakefinger comp...

But back on topic, uh, well, I have nothing to say about Tool. Nuff said.

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted May 12, 2006 23:28     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
I was in a record store in Québec City, and they were playing a Snakefinger comp...

maan i liked where this topic was going...why'd ya have to change back to the actual subject

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted May 13, 2006 00:11     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My exposure to Tool is limited to the ugly puppets videos. Liked what I heard, but not to the point that I had to go buy a record. Maybe I'm missing something.

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

JUDGE FARGO
VoivodFan
Member # 250

posted May 13, 2006 13:24     Profile for JUDGE FARGO   Email JUDGE FARGO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Fripp is hands down the most multi talented, multi functional multi everything guitarist alive or dead... is there anything the guy can't do with a guitar (besides play standing up) ?

He can't play the blues.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 13, 2006 16:39     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:

He can't play the blues.

I consider that a plus.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 13, 2006 16:42     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Snakefinger "comp"? What does this mean? Tell me more.

quote:

Fuck the topic! This is a Fripp & Snakefinger thread DAGBLAMMIT.

--------------------

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 14, 2006 08:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by escubria:

He can't play the blues.

PROZAKC BLUES from the amazing ConstruKCtion Of Light album. Blues Fripp/Belew style.... thank you very little

--------------------

yawn

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted May 14, 2006 15:05     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Fuck the topic! This is a Fripp & Snakefinger thread DAGBLAMMIT.

Yay!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 14, 2006 15:13     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
PROZAKC BLUES from the amazing ConstruKCtion Of Light album. Blues Fripp/Belew style.... thank you very little

Yes...

...but, there is that story of how the 'Islands' lineup used to HATE him so much they used to improv in a standard twelve bar blues stylee as the Frippster couldn't follow...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 14, 2006 15:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumËggs:
Yes...

...but, there is that story of how the 'Islands' lineup used to HATE him so much they used to improv in a standard twelve bar blues stylee as the Frippster couldn't follow...

That's a true story yes; however, of those members from the Island days who is still pushing the musical envelope today, and who are has-beens not doing much of anything except reliving the past? No offence to those great musicians, they just aren't up to Fripp standards.

Fripp has never wanted to rely on the past and is always looking forward. He has given the thumbs up to the 21st Century Schizoid Band but you will never see him tour with King Crimson and do a "greatest hits" show. I totally respect that.

--------------------

yawn

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 14, 2006 17:16     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The noble art of derailing blooms unchained in this thread, great stuff Very interesting to see other opinions on Tool too. I love VVF.

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 14, 2006 21:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh yeah, this is a thread about TOOL.

I got a new chain saw the other day but haven't had time to use it. I did get to use my table saw and drill today however. Good tools make the job so much easier and the finished product looks great.

--------------------

yawn

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted May 14, 2006 22:47     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back to Crimson and the blues, don't forget the song/demo "Potato Pie" on the Happy with what you have to be Happy With EP.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 14, 2006 23:05     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
oh yeah, this is a thread about TOOL.

The Electrician's Elite:

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 15, 2006 08:58     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite tool:

(espiecially the corkscrew...)

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 15, 2006 09:22     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
That's a true story yes; however, of those members from the Island days who is still pushing the musical envelope today, and who are has-beens not doing much of anything except reliving the past? No offence to those great musicians, they just aren't up to Fripp standards.

Fripp has never wanted to rely on the past and is always looking forward. He has given the thumbs up to the 21st Century Schizoid Band but you will never see him tour with King Crimson and do a "greatest hits" show. I totally respect that.

Oh my word, yes.

The man has taste as well as discretion, two rarer commodities than talent in this world...
It's probably the reason he remains difficult to work with.

Count me as having my hand up when we're counting the Fripp fanboys from now on.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 15, 2006 10:03     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Huh huHuh huHuh huHuhhuhuhuh

they said "tool.

Huhh uhuh uhuhu hhuh

that was cool beavis

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted May 18, 2006 00:08     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One or two of those songs on the Fripp solo album Exposure from the early 80s...are up there with lots on King Crimson's Red...as the most Voivodian and crazy Fripp songs ever...I think the songs are Breathless and then Disengage...CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah...and Disengage has the guy from Van Der Graf Generator, which I read Away is a big fan of, doing vocals.

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted May 18, 2006 00:19     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like a lotta prog. Tool ain't prog, Tool ain't metal.

Hee hee hee, that's what I was thinking too...
To me it's NU-METAL with hints of, um, JETHRO TULL! or something thrown in--and I do like some JETHRO TULL.
I can see how people like it, it's just a bit too...straight-forward? or conventional? for my tastes, I thought their music might sound more out there given their touring with King Crimson etc...

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 18, 2006 08:17     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and Tangento, I think the Snakefinger "comp" was this:
CLICKY

Needless to say it was WEIRD, and that lady who came in the store to do a phonecall most have thought that those guys were crazy.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 18, 2006 18:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i remeber reading a diary posting from Fripp while on the TOOL tour and I believe Danny Carey aske Fripp if he could hear how KC had really influenced the TOOL sound and Fripp stated he couldn't hear it at all. Fripp is a major fan of Tool and would often post in his diary about listening to them.

I like the fact it's hard to pin a lable on and band and catagorize them. It means they are doing something different.

--------------------

yawn

GarbageDay
VoivodFan
Member # 361

posted May 27, 2006 08:15     Profile for GarbageDay   Email GarbageDay     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tool is pretty boring and one dimensional, but they have a few good tunes. Too bad about the vocalist though too.

--------------------

www.molokovellocet.com

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan