my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Understanding Tool (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Understanding Tool
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted May 10, 2006 19:13     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been trying to like Tool really hard on several occassions. This is especially because many respected metal gods, including Piggy, seem to absolutely love their music. I have listened through all their albums many times and seen their videos (which I love btw!).

But, for the love of Korgull, no matter how much time I give for the music to sink in, all I hear is a faint whine in the wind accompanied by what could be great metal if there was any aggression in it. It's like listening to an elevator version of Killing Technology with earplugs on.

I like many kinds of music, not necessarily aggressive at all. Old and new prog, electronic stuff, plain good ol' rocka rolla for example. But calling Tool metal...nonono. If I approach their music from a rock angle, they're better but still nowhere near absolutely listenable. No energy, nothing to make me glue my headphones to my ears and go "wow!".

I don't even hate or particularly dislike Tool. It's just that they're so mild and uninteresting to me that I keep wondering what I'm missing when people start drooling over them. How do you 'see' their music?

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

|  IP: Logged
Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 10, 2006 19:42     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent. I've often wondered the same darned thing myself. I don't own any Tool. I've listened and well...I kinda agree with you vman. Ok. I like Maynard. I mean, what chick wouldn't? haha. It all boils down to sex, doesn't it? I had Lateralus because I'd won. It was free. One of my buds bought the new disc. He stood in line for three hours for it. I wasn't impressed. I don't dislike the band. Eh. I need to clear my head of all the vino I've been drinking for the past two hours.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

iiigggïïïrrr
VoivodFan
Member # 176

posted May 10, 2006 19:48     Profile for iiigggïïïrrr   Email iiigggïïïrrr     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Same thing over here dude... for me they are kinda overrated. Awesome videos, awesome artwork, awesome image, but average music. They may be great players and all, they put a couple odd signatures here and there, but at the end I find them to be boring. Standard riffing, nothing new, just packed on a more refined envelope.

I'm not saying the are garbage, but I don't see their greatness besides the visual thing.

--------------------

...I wish I knew the one who knows..

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 10, 2006 20:34     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like them, but I'm not all ga-ga over them as most Tool fans seem to be. I do think they are overrated but the masses, but I myself still enjoy their music a great deal.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 11, 2006 03:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta say I LOVE TOOL
The new cd is taking some time to grow on me and didn't have the same affect that previous albums did, which was instantaneous excitement and a desire to play them over and over again, but that could be a good thing this time.

Maynard has a great voice write great lyrics and the musicians in the band seem to gel and create interesting music that doesn't bnore me after repeated plays. Hell, if Fripp and Belew like them they gotta be good... not to mention all the other elite musicians that give them praise.
But that's not why I like them. I think they challenge the listener like so many other bands I love and it really blows my mind how huge a band like this has become... great promotion I assume and word of mouth. I do consider them to be very original and like Voivod, King Crimson, and Porcupine Tree... often imitated never duplicated.

--------------------

yawn

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted May 11, 2006 03:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never liked Tool. Fairly certain I never will. I don't lose sleep over it either.
shargraves
VoivodFan
Member # 575

posted May 11, 2006 05:45     Profile for shargraves   Email shargraves     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my singer is well into them - kind of like the equivalent of my fixation Van der graaf - and I have to agree the lyrics are very very clever.

Muscially they remind me of a technical exercise though. A bit cold, lifeless.

Clinical - I don't dislike them - I think "sweat" off Opiate rocks. (from the Escape from LA soundtrack!)

Aenima is a good track too - but I just can't get too excited about them.

A bit like how no one I meet can stand van der graaf - so I appreciate different tastes.

I think it takes time. VdGG I clicked with immediately - and have spent months of my life listening to individual tracks - but I don't have the *will* to invest so much effort in Tool.

I heard the new album - But I prefer the new Celtic Frost -
higher quality emotion + less musical perfection = more entertainment!

(Actually I'm buzzing off Katorz too at the moment- long live torrents!)

--------------------

Steven Hargraves
Rhythm Guitar in Monstrance
https://www.facebook.com/monstranceofficial

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted May 11, 2006 06:12     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shargraves:
my singer is well into them - kind of like the equivalent of my fixation Van der graaf - and I have to agree the lyrics are very very clever.

I got into tool briefly, based on the loose association with King Crimson.
Then - like with 'Yes' or 'Dream Theatre.' - exhausted any like of them to the point of active dislike, for the reasons our friend above gives.

So, in short, my understanding of 'Tool' is that they can sod off.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted May 11, 2006 07:01     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I absolutely love the song Parabola. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the first time i heard the song, was when i watched the video. And that video is stunning. Set's the mood on a level of it's own

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted May 11, 2006 07:20     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got interested in Tool after seeing Piggy with a shirt of them. What I like is their clear and intense sound, the structure of the songs and the use of simple ideas with big effect.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 11, 2006 10:05     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had the new CD in my hand the other day - the 'stereoscope' package is awesome. 3D band photos, bizzare eye paintings coming to life, totally taking what they do to the next level.

The music was on but I didn't notice it. It could have been the TV on quietly for all I care.

meh.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 11, 2006 12:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never cared for them. I think mainly cause of Maynard's voice which I find extremely irritating. I have heard some songs that were good but never enough to make me go out and buy an album.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 11, 2006 13:27     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like them enough. I know I was certainly into the their Opiate and Undertow releases a lot, of course that was at a time in my life when I was taking a lot of mushrooms and tripping out on the "cries of the carrots" and that sort of thing, haha!

Now that the haze has cleared, I still like them, but don't play them all that much anymore. The new album sounds pretty good though, IMO.

Everyone's got different tastes, eh...

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 11, 2006 13:36     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought 10.000 days exactly 10 days ago. Listened to it the first day but never again since. I have to give it a proper listen in the coming days. But i have my hands (ears) full with some other cd.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted May 11, 2006 16:15     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got the last, as good as the others.

Saw here that some people actually like their vid's, they are all the same those ugly boring litlle puppets coming out of drawers
bah

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted May 11, 2006 16:34     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nunzfromzhellz:

Saw here that some people actually like their vid's, they are all the same those ugly boring litlle puppets coming out of drawers
bah

haha...that made me laugh.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted May 11, 2006 17:47     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a real progger I pretend to like and actually UNDERSTAND Tool, just to impress younger peepz new to 'the scene'. Just like any prog snob would...

--------------------

"Appearing like Ra"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 11, 2006 18:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I first heard Tool many many years ago when Opiate first came out. I was in a local record store looking for cds (because that's what I live for) and they were playing this great cd that I had never heard and it totall blew my mind.. yes, it was Opiate. So I picked that up and as I was still browsing they started playing White Zombie's "Devil Music Vol 1" which I had never heard and totally blew me away... needless to say I had to buy that also.

Sometimes stores actually will play cool stuff and for shoppers and create sales.. but most of the time they play shite.

Tool definitley deserve an award for packaging.

--------------------

yawn

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted May 11, 2006 18:49     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Tool definitley deserve an award for packaging.

Right.
I love Tool.
But, not my favourite prog band,
King Crimson wins.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted May 11, 2006 19:31     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mc Gregor:
Right.
I love Tool.
King Crimson wins.

This sums up my thoughts.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted May 11, 2006 22:18     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mc Gregor:
Right.
I love Tool.
King Crimson wins.

"AMEN BROTHER" that means more coming froman athiest
Porcupine Tree run a very close second but KC has the 35 year track record and they still keep breaking new ground and challenging their listenrs with new sounds. Fripp is hands down the most multi talented, multi functional multi everything guitarist alive or dead... is there anything the guy can't do with a guitar (besides play standing up) ?

--------------------

yawn

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted May 12, 2006 00:31     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
... is there anything the guy can't do with a guitar (besides play standing up) ?[/QB]

...and under a spotlight?

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted May 12, 2006 01:40     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like a lotta prog. Tool ain't prog, Tool ain't metal.

Tool bores the piss out of me.

--------------------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted May 12, 2006 02:07     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Fripp is hands down the most multi talented, multi functional multi everything guitarist alive or dead... is there anything the guy can't do with a guitar (besides play standing up) ?

I heard him basically do NOTHING last weekend and I was still impressed

--------------------

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 12, 2006 02:19     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuke Fewz:
I heard him basically do NOTHING last weekend and I was still impressed

I have that album too! Awsome!

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan