my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » First Two Albums (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: First Two Albums
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 20, 2006 17:42     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't try to sound cool - Mez certainly didn't:

quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
The first two albums I ever bought were GNR's 'Apetite' and Def Lepard's 'Hysteria'.

My first two were (truth) Pink Floyd - The Wall (third pressing) and the Top Gun Official Soundtrack Album (it was the 80's and I felt that "Highway to the Dangerzone" was extremely cutting edge).

I was still two years away from the epiphany in my life that was hearing Motorhead's Orgasmatron, but my first choice proves that I was born with taste.

Oh all right, I said the truth. I got the Top Gun album because I liked "Take My Breath Away" a great deal. Just think what would have happened had Judas Priest managed to get 'Hot For Love' on there?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

|  IP: Logged
Cthon
Member # 156

posted April 20, 2006 18:58     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
coincidentally, The Wall was the first thing i ever owned on vinyl, myself. this was in the early 80s, not sure which pressing...it was pretty new at the time. i remember my second album being Purple's Perfect Strangers

first cassette tape = Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock n Roll
(bought around 1983)

first CD = The Outer Limits, purchased in 94, i think?

--------------------

www.myspace.com/mastersofpunkrock

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 20, 2006 19:26     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nirvana - Nevermind. Oh, how uninspired, how angsty.
chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted April 20, 2006 20:23     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
...i don't recall the second

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 20, 2006 20:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chaosmongirll:
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
...i don't recall the second

Uhhhh, let's be honest chaos...Em and I did it, I know you can. There's nothing wrong with Christina Aquilera..

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 20, 2006 20:43     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If we're on the subject of records we bought before we knew any better, I have a Shaggy album, Fatboy Slim's "You've Come A Long Way Baby", a crappy U2 album I forget the name of, an Avalanches single that was pretty good, Gorillaz' first album, and a Sum41 album that I listened to once and hated. I dunno. All the cool kids were doing it.

There, that's my shit music. It's sitting in a box in my attic among other things waiting to be eBayed to some poor sap. Now let us never speak of this again.

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 20, 2006 20:49     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First album (or rather cassette) that I purchased was GNR Lies. Which was technically an EP I guess, but it was a long EP. I only had it for a few weeks though. My mom got hold of the liner notes, realized that "One in a Million" was NOT a very politically correct song and confiscated the tape. She did give me my money back though.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted April 20, 2006 20:56     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Uhhhh, let's be honest chaos...Em and I did it, I know you can. There's nothing wrong with Christina Aquilera..

No lies...i have a cool older brother

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 20, 2006 22:17     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my memory sucks ass...how do you remember what first two records you bought? I suck.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 20, 2006 22:17     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first albums I ever got were the soundtrack to Disney's Robin Hood with Louis Armstrong and K-Tel's Goofy Greats which had great tracks like Surfin' Bird, Little Green Bag and Yummy Yummy Yummy.

The first rock or pop album I ever got was Queen's The Game. Got it for my 10th birthday. The second was probably Men At Work's Business As Usual or Styx's Kilroy Was Here. After those stinkers it's was Priest and Maiden and no turning back.

Paulie 88
VoivodFan
Member # 775

posted April 20, 2006 22:48     Profile for Paulie 88   Email Paulie 88     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KISS Alive II
Pink Floyd "Animals"

Somewhere, I still have both.

Best, PAULIE

--------------------

Voivoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
-----------------
DIMESLAND http://youtu.be/2LtFOX6JdVo

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted April 20, 2006 23:29     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before I dug further into the domains of punk/metal/???,I saw a special about GBH/Youth Brigade(Goldenvoice punk booking agency)on(of all places,MTV-b4 the inevitable lameness that the channel turned into) in 1984, I bought Siouxsie and the Banshees-"The Singles" ,Black Flag-"Who's Got the 10 1/2"(best live album,ever!!!),The Cure-"Head on the Door"(all on cassettes in the olden days b4 CD). Then it was a constant fix of heavy,swirling,monstrous,psychotronic sounds(I didnt care if it was isolated Brit terror-rock or basic metal,like 'Accept'...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 20, 2006 23:53     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the soundtrack to GREASE. a double album. and shaun cassidy. sorry, i was in grade two.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted April 21, 2006 01:31     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You all are way too young. My first album was "Fanastic" from K-Tel - 1972 or thereabouts. My 2nd album was "Rainbow", by Neil Diamond. Yeah!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 21, 2006 02:05     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only remember my first album:
The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons
Now I have more than 50 CDs of them and 5 DVDs with bootleg mp3s.

First CD:
Bob Dylan: The Bootleg Series (3 CD package)
At the time of buying, I didn't have a CD player.

Only ever stolen CD:
AC/CD: Live '92
It was a personal thing against watchmen in general. I gave the watchman the AC/DC CD and told him, that I have bought it in another store. Later when I left the shop, the watchman gave me back the CD he had to protect. I'm not proud of it today, but it was cool at that time.

Yeah "One In A Million" could cause some trouble, especially if you cover it..

DBC
VoivodFan
Member # 350

posted April 21, 2006 02:06     Profile for DBC   Email DBC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FragmentoHastaMuerto:
You all are way too young. My first album was "Fanastic" from K-Tel - 1972 or thereabouts. My 2nd album was "Rainbow", by Neil Diamond. Yeah!

Feeling young again

#1 Kiss -Dynasty
#2 ....hmm Peter Criss(solo) or Toto IV

--------------------

Travel now, journey infinitely

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted April 21, 2006 07:34       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my first two album where 8 tracks.Deepest Purple and Jim Croce.I bought them from a garage sale the summer of 82 with an 8 track player.
The very next summer i joined Columbia House and got alot of cool cassettes my mom later trashed.(Mostly Ac/Dc and Van Halen stuff.)

Why did so many of you guys buy GnR?Did they do something good or where you just brainwashed?

IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 21, 2006 08:26     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kiss Alive II
Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 21, 2006 08:38     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One uber-cool. One corny as hell:

"Live after Death." Maiden.
"Low.", David Bowie.

I just can't recall in which order I bought them - oh, and I still love them both.

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted April 21, 2006 09:55     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oooh.. long time ago. I was 9 years old. First was "Helloween: Keeper of The Seven Keys part II" on vinyl. And my second album was " Voivod, Dimension Hatröss " on vinyl as well. Such memories.

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 21, 2006 10:48     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wait wait wait.....

FragmentoHastaMuerto?

wth?!?

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 21, 2006 12:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know you've achieved forum greatness when a simple post in one thread inspires an entirely new thread. Damn, I'm so amazing!
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted April 21, 2006 12:55     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So so Mr Forum meister

Hmm. The first LP was Sabbaths Paranoid, then i goy myself Kiss Alive 1 where i also got an Aerosmith single for free. My dad found it. he said that they had the longest hair of any of the bands he found, so i took it. I think it had Draw the line and Bright light fright on it

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 21, 2006 16:27     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first Vinyl...

(No Nia, it wasnt Barry Manilow if thats what you are thinking)

The Who - Who Are You
Styx - Grand Illusion
Kiss - Love Gun

I think i also got some Moody Blues too.
OH!...Queen - A Night At The Opera

Then after that came more Styx, Journey (When they were good), RUSH, Tangerine Dream, Hawkwind, etc.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted April 21, 2006 17:21     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Star Wars Soundtrack - I don't think I knew what a soundtrack was before I bought it, I just knew it was Star Wars. Bor-ing!

AC/DC - High Voltage - My older cousin, who I looked up to a great deal, was a big AC/DC fan so when it came time to buy an album I got this one. I think it was at K-Mart, and I was about 8 years old, so 1981.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan