my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who's going to see Axl?? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Who's going to see Axl??
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 18, 2006 18:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With all this recent fascination with 80's rock(see my wonderful thread on SexgodSeb) I thought this was a fair question:

Guns N' Roses Announce NYC Dates, European Tour
Quanah Humphreys reports:

After Guns N' Roses' spectacular resurrection and flame-out in 2002, just about everyone wrote off the prospect of ever seeing Axl Rose and GN'R 2.0 perform live again.

Smart money says to keep your fingers crossed, but Guns N' Roses have announced two May dates at New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom, as well as a summer European tour. Though notoriously temperamental (which is a polite way of saying "I wouldn't trust him with my kittens") Axl Rose scheduling a tour just might just mean it's time to bust out the oversized hockey jerseys and skrink-wrapped biker shorts.

Set lists are expected to pull from the GN'R back catalog as well as Chinese Democracy, the mythical-as-a-unicorn follow-up to 1993's The Spaghetti Incident?. 32 songs have allegedly been recorded for that album, a taste of which Rose has suggested may appear on...the soundtrack to The Da Vinci Code movie. Tom Hanks with a mullet, Axl Rose with dreadlocks--makes sense.

A few tracks from the multi-million dollar project were leaked in February, which could potentially be seen as Rose testing the waters before wading into the world at large. Post-It for Axl: If people are still writing about you and your goof-tacular foibles at this point, it means, yes, we are still clamoring for, or at least morbidly curious about, new GN'R material. So quit with the shut-in shtick and get to the stadium-rocking. Sheesh.

In lieu of binoculars, use your illusion:

05-15 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
05-17 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
05-27 Lisbon, Portugal - Parque da Bela Vista (Rock in Rio 2006)
05-28 Madrid, Spain - Auditorio Juan Carlos I
05-31 Budapest, Hungary - Budapest Arena
06-02 Eifel, Germany - Nürburgring (Rock Am Ring)
06-04 Milan, Italy - Idroscalo (Gods of Metal Festival)
06-09 Dublin, Ireland - RDS Arena
06-11 Donington, England - Donington Park (Download Festival)
06-13 Prague, Czech Republic - Sazka Arena
06-15 Warsaw, Poland - Legia Stadium
06-17 Nikelsdorf, Austria - Pannonia Fields II (Novarock)
06-20 Paris, France - Palais Omnisports
06-24 Dessel, Belgium - Graspop Metal Meeting
06-26 Stockholm, Sweden - Globe Arena
06-28 Oslo, Norway - Spektrum
06-29 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde Festival
07-02 Nijmegen, Netherlands - Goffert Park
07-05 Helsinki, Finland - Hartwall Arena
07-06 Helsinki, Finland - Hartwall Arena
07-08 Oslo, Norway - Spektrum

Metal Sludge
Chinese Sludge

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 18, 2006 19:30     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gay as in stupid, no thanks. The one and only time I ever saw G-N-R was back in '88 when they opened for Iron Maiden, even with the original members intact, it was gay...as in stupid.

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 18, 2006 22:20     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw GnR when the first EP was released and way before they became millionaire junkies. It was at the old famous Hammerjacks and they were sloppy as hell, and I remember yawning every 5 minutes. I believe EZO opened (remember those has-beens?). I later heard they left blood and siringes all over the dressing room... pathetic loosers

--------------------

yawn

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted April 19, 2006 05:29     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tried to see them years ago but never managed to be at one of their shows here in Italy.
Loved so much Apetite For Destruction but now I'm not really interested in spending money for them.

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted April 19, 2006 07:31     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw them once with Faith no More and Soundgarden in 91+/-
The first two bands worth the price of the ticket.
G'n'R was a disaster, a complete desaster because of a certain egocentic moron called Axl.
no thanks

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 19, 2006 10:36     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I lost interest in G'n'R when Buckethead left.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted April 19, 2006 10:41     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never had any interest whatsoever in G n'R... but what truly amazes me (or scare me, i dunno) is the fact that there are still people out there - and i use the term "people" loosely - that are actually going to pay money to see that botox-faced psycho on stage again.

I never got it, and I dont think i ever will.

anthony
VoivodFan
Member # 292

posted April 19, 2006 11:17     Profile for anthony   Email anthony     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This may be the only forum on the internet that you can bash GnR and people will actually agree with you. I never liked them from the first time I heard them. Never thought there was anything good or original about them. GnR proved that record companies can make anybody a rock star if they throw enough marketing at them. They actually proved that back in the 50's but GnR were just another example of it.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 19, 2006 11:45     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
I never had any interest whatsoever in G n'R... but what truly amazes me (or scare me, i dunno) is the fact that there are still people out there - and i use the term "people" loosely - that are actually going to pay money to see that botox-faced psycho on stage again.

My feelings exactly.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 19, 2006 15:20     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first two albums I ever bought were GNR's 'Apetite' and Def Lepard's 'Hysteria'. Didn't care for the Lepard at all but oh man....GnR ruled my world back then. I had the GnR with the banned cover insert and this dude told me he had something for trade that would completely freak me out. Some album called Reign In Blood by these satanists called Slayer. Good ol' Reese. Thankfully I made that trade........
Funny, I was playing pool the other night and Apetite was on the jukebox. I played the thing in its entirety. So interesting how the years change one's perception of things. By song six I was like "HUH?"

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 19, 2006 15:37     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well i saw them in Nijmegen at a big outside gig. They arived two hours too late in a fucking helicopter. They played a show for 2 hours without talking to the audience even once, big fat motherfuckers.

FUCK G&R.

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

RIFLEFIST
VoivodFan
Member # 180

posted April 19, 2006 22:42     Profile for RIFLEFIST   Email RIFLEFIST     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went to see Brian May from QUEEN open for GnR cause Queen rules. Well I missed Brian May.... no wait.. I got to the show and heard " We will, we will, rock you.Thank you and goodnight!" I fuckin missed Brian May and I'll tell you, seeing Guns didn't make me feel any better! DAMN!
Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted April 19, 2006 23:22     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with everyone, with the exception of Mez. I dig Hysteria!
Never liked gnr. bleeargh!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 20, 2006 06:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GnR always reminded me of Aerosmith, which made them seem very unoriginal. They write catchy songs for masses of mindless people and made millions. I can't say they aren't talentless, just not very original, and I have NO desire to listen to them... although Garden of Eden was a rippin' cool tune

--------------------

yawn

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 20, 2006 17:43     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw GnR at donington 88 supporting maiden, the year 7 fans died when a crowd surge caused a massive pile up of bodies at the front whilst GnR were playing. They were monumentally shit then and nothing has changed my view of the band since then. I have appetite for destruction in its original (now banned) sleeve, one of those bizarre mistakes you make from time to time. It hasn't been played since 1988 and I have no desire to play it either.

GnR are about as musically important as fingering your arse and eating the result. Anybody who pays money to see them is either deluded or soft in the head.

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 20, 2006 21:01     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never really graded the musical importance of the bands I liked. So of course I liked Guns n' Roses just fine...15 years ago. I wasn't particularly picky in those days, mind you. Some would say I'm not particularly picky now....

Nevertheless you couldn't pay me to go to a GnR concert now. Chance of rioting is high, and even if the band actually plays it'd be like a sick parody of the "real thing" so I'll pass thanks.

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted April 21, 2006 01:42     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe G'n'fuckin'R should do a double-bill with Van Halen.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Hypercube
VoivodFan
Member # 33

posted April 21, 2006 02:12     Profile for Hypercube   Email Hypercube     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Saw them in Bremen (Use Your Illusions tour), when I loved them.

Now, there is not a single gram of interest anymore.

Simon6
VoivodFan
Member # 187

posted April 21, 2006 05:17     Profile for Simon6   Email Simon6     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Carcass in Zurich in 1988.

--------------------

What the...?

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 21, 2006 10:53     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slug:
I dig Hysteria!

Obviously their biggest release, but their worst as far as "poppy, bubble-gummy, watered down" commercial rock is concerned! bleh!!

Even Pyromania was tits-up for me...now High-N-Dry is what I'm talking about!!! (same goes for On Through the Night!)

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 22, 2006 05:56     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackCloudz:
Obviously their biggest release, but their worst as far as "poppy, bubble-gummy, watered down" commercial rock is concerned! bleh!!

Even Pyromania was tits-up for me...now High-N-Dry is what I'm talking about!!! (same goes for On Through the Night!)

Brangin on tha heartbreak!!!!

--------------------

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 22, 2006 12:22     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon6:
I saw Carcass in Zurich in 1988.

lucky fuckin bastard

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 22, 2006 14:58     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw GNfnR back in 91 as well, with Soundgarden and I guess FNM, but we arrived late as usual so it was just SG and GNfnR for us.

I didn't understand Garden really, too different....Too good really, wasn't expecting a band like that to open for Axl's debacle. Garden blew them out of the stadium!

After that tour I lost what little interest I had in GNfnR, and when they became HUGE after T2 came out it just confirmed my conclusion that I knew they were just a fucking commercial joke...

--------------------

Head Villain
VoivodFan
Member # 524

posted April 22, 2006 16:05     Profile for Head Villain   Email Head Villain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
what truly amazes me (or scare me, i dunno) is the fact that there are still people out there - and i use the term "people" loosely - that are actually going to pay money to see that botox-faced psycho on stage again.

... you forgot pie-eating, wig-wearing..

--------------------

String em up

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 23, 2006 08:08     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Updated: GNR have added two more nights in NYC at the Hammerstein.

May 12th and May 14th. Along with the 15th & 17th!

Presale on April 21st. The presale for the first two shows SOLD OUT IN THREE MINUTES.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan