my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » JASON NEWSTED Says VOIVOD's 'Katorz' Is 'A Serious, Weighty, Heavy Metal Album'

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JASON NEWSTED Says VOIVOD's 'Katorz' Is 'A Serious, Weighty, Heavy Metal Album'
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted April 13, 2006 23:38       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JASON NEWSTED Says VOIVOD's 'Katorz' Is 'A Serious, Weighty, Heavy Metal Album' - Apr. 13, 2006

VOIVOD frontman Denis "Snake" Belanger and bassist Jason "Jasonic" Newsted (ex-METALLICA) recently spoke to Canada's Chart Attack about the making of the band's 14th album, "Katorz", due in June via The End Records. The CD marks the group's first studio release since the death of guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, who passed away from cancer complications last August.

"The first time I sang, put on the headphones, and I heard Piggy's playing, I thought, 'Oh my God, this is going to be tough," Snake said of the album's early recording stages. 'There's all this pressure of delivering, to honour your friend, and you've got to visualize the whole thing together.

"It has to sound like we're playing together. These are recordings from way back, but you've got to make it live.

"When Piggy got sick, I had already done the sketches of all the songs, not only those 10. There were 23 songs on the demo originally. These songs will be released later on. But I didn't change a lot of things since Piggy's death because I thought everything was there. All the sketches were there."

Added Newsted: "Because of producer Glen Robinson's major involvement, the sound of [VOIVOD's 1989 album] 'Nothingface' was very apparent.

"Snake got a whole lot of time to get his lyrics together, formulate the way he that he wanted to weave his shit into it. He's a very different kind of vocalist. The album that we made in 2003, Snake didn't have as much time to put his vocals together. We were just piecing it together, and he did some of the writing as he was singing it. So that punk element was there. This time he had a long, long time to put it together. He had recording devices at home. He could choose effects that he wanted.

"This record was built very much in pieces. I don't know if you know the whole story, but the bass was done through a 10-watt amplifier on my porch, and Piggy's guitar stuff was done in his bathroom in his apartment. For it to sound like it does after being pieced together like it was… it is far, far, far beyond a glorified demo, which is what I thought it was going to be.

"It is a fucking serious, weighty, heavy metal album. Contemporary, yet the experience and the maturity shines through like a motherfucker. Very unorthodox. The credit has to go to [drummer] Michel [Langevin; a.k.a. Away], Snake and Glen for following through with this. Because my part in this stuff, as far as the bass…

"Piggy had come out for a couple of weeks at a couple of different times, and he had just gotten the new Mac, and I plugged into that, and he said, 'Are you ready? OK, go.' And we did the bass tracks. I wasn't even close to being in the mode I get in when recording a real album. I'm just sitting on the porch in my rocking chair with iced tea going, 'You cool with that?' 'Yeah.' 'OK, next.' And it still goes, 'Rrrrooooaaaarrrr!' So explain that."

IP: Logged
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 14, 2006 03:03     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
wow

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 14, 2006 05:23     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally stated by Jasonic:
[QB]
I'm just sitting on the porch in my rocking chair with iced teaQB]

It's one motherfucker of a bass sound - best he's got since Floatsom. Fuck $1,000,000-per-day studios!

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 14, 2006 11:10     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's funny how he downgrades his own performance...if he thought he did so poorly in the first place, obviously he could have "re-done" his bass tracks just as Away and Snake re-did their tracks. So they couldn't have been THAT bad!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 14, 2006 11:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn Z Helicopter:
It's one motherfucker of a bass sound - best he's got since Floatsom. Fuck $1,000,000-per-day studios!

studios have never made anyone a better player. you can't fix in the mix what's not there to begin with.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 14, 2006 19:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Jason is just one humble guy who still gets excited about making albums, playing live, and being a metal head. I think he feels honored to be part of Voivod and make music with his friends/legends.

I always thought Newsted was awesome from the first time I heard Doomsday For The Deceiver, and then his bass sound covering Budgie's "Breadfan" on Garage Days.... fuck!!! You better have talent if you're going to try and play something Burke Shelly originally laid down, and Jason, definitley has talent... he just doesn't let it go to his head.

--------------------

yawn

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 15, 2006 03:46     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Mizz CongeNiality:
you can't fix in the mix what's not there to begin with.

But... Lars Ulrich?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted April 15, 2006 04:14     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn Z Helicopter:
But... Lars Ulrich?

Well, think about how much money was spent on Lars and exactly much that improved matters. Not a great ratio...
And to think that drumming on MoP was his plateau!?

Jase is a fucking great bass player - really musical. I reckon he was just way too humble on "Voivod". As a guitarist I reckon Piggy often needs a more assertive bassist, as The Pig's often off doing his soaring, Fripping things around the structures.

Away's always sounded like a blast to play with. What a change that must be from having continual stutters and "sorry" from behind Metallica's drumkit during rehearsals...

Mr Eddy
VoivodFan
Member # 302

posted April 18, 2006 23:04     Profile for Mr Eddy   Email Mr Eddy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumËggs:
Away's always sounded like a blast to play with. What a change that must be from having continual stutters and "sorry" from behind Metallica's drumkit during rehearsals...

True indeed. It'd be great to see Metallica playing in a "Clash of Titans" kinda festival just to see how much Lars would crushed by Lombardo and Benante.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted April 21, 2006 01:37     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't fucking wait!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan