my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » VOIVOD Documentary In The Works (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: VOIVOD Documentary In The Works
LivingEvil
unregistered

posted April 07, 2006 07:09       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD Documentary In The Works - Apr. 7, 2006

MTV.com reports: After Canadian documentarian Sam Dunn interviewed members of VOIVOD for his upcoming movie "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey", VOIVOD recruited him to make a film about their group. "It was a real honor to be asked, and we've already started shooting," said Dunn. "The documentary is going to be about Piggy's life [the band's founding guitarist, Denis D'Amour, who passed away of colon cancer last year] and the making of the new record and how those are tied together." No release date has been set for the project. "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" will come out as a double-DVD on May 23.

As previously reported, a brand new VOIVOD song, entitled "The X-Stream", has been made available for streaming at MP3.com. The track comes off the Canadian pioneering metal band's upcoming album, "Katorz", due in June on The End Records in North America and Nuclear Blast Records in Europe.

VOIVOD recorded and mixed the album with producer Glen Robinson (ANNIHILATOR, TEA PARTY, GWAR) at Multisons studio in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and mastered the CD in New York.

The follow-up to 2003's "Voivod", "Katorz" is the first album in the band's 20-plus-year career that did not feature D'Amour working alongside his bandmembers in the studio.

In order to record "Katorz", drummer Michael "Away" Langevin, singer Denis "Snake" Belanger and bassist Jason "Jasonic" Newsted utilized all of the guitar parts that Piggy had recorded for the record on his laptop with ProTools before his death.

In a recent interview with Greg Prato of Billboard.com, Langevin had the following to say about the upcoming CD: "It came about in unfortunate circumstances, but the result is mind-blowing. Right before his departure, Denis explained to me that he had recorded all the tracks that we had been working on with Jason and Snake for the past two years. He had recorded that on his laptop with ProTools, and even though he would have preferred to re-do the whole thing in a real studio, there was a chance that we could use the tracks. We built the album based on the guitar tracks, which was difficult, because normally, we go the other way around — we start with the drums, and then add stuff on top. But it sounds amazing."

"'Katorz' means 14 — it's the 14th effort of the band," Belanger added. "The first time Piggy put it together and gave us the demo was on CD, [and he had written] 'Katorz', which is not the right way to write it. Of course [there is] an emotional side to it, so we took the demo, and the design of it will be his handwriting."

IP: Logged
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 07, 2006 08:49     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

|  IP: Logged
THRASHING RAGE
VoivodFan
Member # 668

posted April 07, 2006 11:31     Profile for THRASHING RAGE   Email THRASHING RAGE     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NO WAY!!!!

--------------------

GO SHIT! IM NOT A FISH!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 07, 2006 11:52     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is kickass! What a great thing for the band to do.

Cant wait for it to be finished.

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted April 07, 2006 12:32     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And as I write this, the guys are in Europe to do some promo for the next CD.

They left yesterday, they're back Sunday.

Kool.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Surf/Slam82
VoivodFan
Member # 741

posted April 07, 2006 12:41     Profile for Surf/Slam82   Email Surf/Slam82     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AWESOME !!!!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 07, 2006 13:43     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halaine Peau:
And as I write this, the guys are in Europe to do some promo for the next CD.

They left yesterday, they're back Sunday.

Kool.

Will they be in Amsterdam??

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted April 07, 2006 14:23     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted April 07, 2006 16:52     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:

Honestly, I dunno.

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted April 07, 2006 17:24     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RRRRÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr

2006! 2006! 2006! 2006!

--------------------

Tomorrow is the fear
Tomorrow disappears
Tomorrow is the fear
We are connected...

Anyway
VoivodFan
Member # 594

posted April 07, 2006 18:28     Profile for Anyway   Email Anyway     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

Germany..

chaosmongirll
VoivodFan
Member # 489

posted April 07, 2006 18:52     Profile for chaosmongirll   Email chaosmongirll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 07, 2006 18:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AWESOME
TOTALLY AWESOME

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted April 08, 2006 11:04     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
May 23rd is right around the corner!!

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 08, 2006 11:43     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ALRIGHT!!

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 10, 2006 08:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So how was the trip? German beeeer!!
Underbrain
VoivodFan
Member # 183

posted April 13, 2006 01:50     Profile for Underbrain   Email Underbrain     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got back from a screening of "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" in Hollywood. There is a short interview with Piggy and Away in the movie. During the Q&A, Sam Dunn said the DVD release will have an extended interview with them. He also talked a little about the Piggy documentary - a promo trailer has already been edited and they're working on the film now.

There's a HUGE screen cap from the film of Piggy & Away here http://metalhistory.com/images/Voivod.jpg

I had a hard time concentrating on the movie as I just happenened to be sitting right behind Kerry King and was transfixed by the tattoo on his head.

Definitely check this flick out when it comes on dvd.

--------------------

The future is here, and how.
\m/_ VOIVOD _\m/

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 13, 2006 06:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMN, that's cool.
looking forward to the dvd coming out as I am sure the movie will never find it's way to a "theater near me"

--------------------

yawn

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 14, 2006 09:40     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is gonna be a film on Piggy, not Voivod. What a great story it'll be!

Excerpt from Gaurdian:

Today, he finds himself in the unlikely position of becoming the world's leading heavy-metal cineaste. The first film he co-directed, wrote and produced, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, has been touring the festivals to much acclaim. The editing suite has been hired to cut another documentary, this time about the life of Dennis "Piggy" d'Amour, the late guitarist of Canadian thrash metal band Voivod. Later this year, he will embark on a third documentary, this time about metal's popularity in unlikely corners of the globe. There is, he claims, a burgeoning black-metal scene in Indonesia: apparently, they can't get enough of bands called Abettor of Satan and Deformed Tartarus in Bandung. "The thing is," McFadyen sighs, "I'm not really into heavy metal. I was into indie rock from Britain at school. But for someone who's not into heavy metal, I seem to end up making a lot of films about it."
That he has is largely down to his schoolfriend Sam Dunn, a 30-year-old anthropologist, who is the unfailingly eager central character in Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. The film traces the genre's history through Dunn's lifelong obsession with Iron Maiden and Venom. He conducts an impressive array of interviews - "if the 12-year-old Sam knew he'd interview Bruce Dickinson, he'd be freaking out!" - explains the crucial difference between the first wave of black metal and the new wave of American metal, visits a vast metal festival in Wacken, Germany, ("Fuckin' awesome! Fuckin' awesome! I'm in fuckin' heaven, dude!"), and launches a robust defence of a music he believes has been "stereotyped, dismissed and condemned for 35 years". He only loses his natural ebullience when confronted with the leading lights of the Norwegian death-metal scene, including the fragrant Gaahl, lead singer of Gargamel, practising Satanist, and, it quickly becomes apparent, raving anti-semite. "He was actually pretty nice to us, although he's just been in prison for torturing a guy," says McFadyen, carefully. "He told us it was self-defence. We're not quite clear on how that works."

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey may be the most exhaustive and enthusiastic documentary ever made about its subject, but it's merely the latest entry in a vast list of heavy-metal related films. It's fair to say no genre of rock or pop has inspired quite as much celluloid. The 1980s metal band Judas Priest alone have inspired at least three films, including the legendary 1986 short Heavy Metal Parking Lot, which interviewed fans waiting for the band to perform live in Maryland; Dream Deceivers (about the famous court case brought against the band by the family of a teenager who alleged their songs had influenced his unsuccessful suicide bid); and the 2001 Mark Wahlberg film Rock Star, based on the true story of Tim "Ripper" Owens' bizarre progress from singer in a Judas Priest tribute band to singer in Judas Priest.

There are documentaries and mockumentaries, among them the most famous mockumentary of them all, This Is Spinal Tap. There are comedies and dramas. Metal is not the only musical genre to have fielded a musician-cum-film director, but it's certainly the only musical genre to have fielded a musician-cum-film director whose films anyone wanted to see, in the unlikely shape of Rob Zombie, self-styled "Hellbilly Deluxe" and director of successful horror flicks House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. Not only are there documentaries about heavy-metal fans, and horror films made by heavy-metal musicians, there are documentaries about heavy-metal fans trying to make horror films (Chris Smith's 1999 American Movie). Indeed, the sheer proliferation of metal films was to prove the biggest stumbling block in trying to get A Headbanger's Journey made. "It was an uphill battle all the way," says Dunn. "Most of the things that have been done on heavy metal have been a parody of something, so immediately when we approached artists with the idea, their reaction was that's what it was going to be, a mockumentary. We were swimming against the current."

Quite why heavy metal has developed such a symbiotic relationship with cinema is a matter of some debate. At one extreme, even the most diehard metalhead can see where the mockumentaries and parody films such as Spinal Tap and Wayne's World take their cue. "It's very over the top, it relies on the spectacle, so it's ripe for humour in some ways," says McFadyen. "I suspect if opera was a new genre now, there would be a lot of funny films made about that too."

In addition, though Dunn would doubtless disagree, most people view mocking metal as a guilt-free pleasure. Hip-hop may be equally lurid and over the top, but if you satirise it, you risk causing offence: you are, after all, mocking the authentic voice of a downtrodden racial minority. If you satirise metal and its fans, you are merely held to be mocking dorky white suburbanites, who in any case learned to laugh at themselves and their excesses long ago. As humourless and self-important as Metallica appear in Some Kind of Monster, it's difficult to imagine an artist from any other genre allowing a film to be made that holds such an unflattering light to them. "If you like metal, you kind of celebrate the ridiculousness of it," says Paul Brannigan, editor of British weekly metal magazine Kerrang! "There's a book out at the moment called Heavy Metal Thunder, full of excessive and extreme album sleeves that are all skulls and phallic swords and large-breasted ladies. I've got that book and I love it. People know that it's over the top and silly, that's part of the appeal. I interviewed Iron Maiden recently and they said, look, at the end of the day, we know we're men in tights, but we're having fun."

A romantic reading might suggest that metal shares a lot of traits with cinema, because metal is the only rock genre with cinema in its very DNA. If, like the makers of A Headbanger's Journey, you take Black Sabbath to be the first true metal band, then it's worth noting Ozzy Osbourne's oft-repeated story about how the Birmingham quartet came upon their doom-laden sound: rehearsing opposite a cinema showing a horror film, guitarist Tony Iommi musing aloud that if people paid to see scary movies, then why wouldn't they pay to listen to scary music? Like cinema, metal offers a form of escapism. A Headbanger's Journey notes that most of its major artists seem to hail from immeasurably dull parts of the world: Slipknot are shown bemoaning their home town of Des Moines at length, while Iommi explains that Black Sabbath come from Aston: "A shithole, basically." Just as cinema was the medium that pulls off remarkable transformations that could turn Bristolian Archie Leach into Cary Grant, so metal is the music that can turn the diminutive, balding Ronald James Pardovana from Portsmouth, New Hampshire into Dio, who, in the mid-1980s, would nightly climax his set by vanquishing a giant dragon called Denzil on stage.

The most prosaic reason for metal's popularity with film-makers may simply be its popularity. In the Recording Industry Association of America's list of the 100 bestselling albums of all time, it is easily the best-represented genre: almost half the records in the list are metal albums. As McFadyen and Dunn's forthcoming film hopes to make explicit, it is a musical phenomenon with genuine global reach. "24 Hour Party People was a cool film, but for all that music was lauded and hailed as cool and groundbreaking in England, it's still largely a cult Anglophile thing anywhere else around the globe," says Brannigan. "But make a film about the guy from the Judas Priest tribute band joining Judas Priest and it's got a real resonance with a huge swath of the population."

In addition, despite its vast commercial success, metal still has its aura of mystery. Hip-hop could claim an equivalent level of global popularity, but the culture that surrounds it has not merely infiltrated the mainstream, but almost completely consumed it: around the world, everything from high-street fashions to everyday language bears its influence, with the net result that most films about hip-hop, not least 50 Cent's hopeless recent effort Get Rich or Die Tryin' seem like strings of well-worn cliches. Metal, by contrast, sells in staggering quantities, yet still retains an air of impenetrability to anyone who isn't actually a metalhead. What kind of world is this, where a multi-platinum group can think it's a good idea to recruit a singer from its own tribute band? Why do they keep doing that devil's horns thing with their fingers? How can they take Gaahl or Dio or indeed Cannibal Corpse's Alex Webster - the author of Meat Hook Sodomy and Frantic Disembowelment, who, on the evidence of his brief interview in A Headbanger's Journey, sounds remarkably like George W Bush when he opens his mouth - seriously?

Perhaps more than any other genre, metal offers a vast and endlessly surprising world for film-makers to explore. Certainly, McFadyen will happily testify to his continuing astonishment. "I went to these concerts with Sam," he says, "and, you know, despite the fact that it looks like a biker's convention and everyone's wearing black and crucifixes, the atmosphere is much closer to what you might have expected Woodstock to be. It's really friendly. Metal's a real community." And he goes back to editing his film about Piggy from Voivod.

· Metal: A Headbanger's Journey is released on April 28.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted April 14, 2006 11:12     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
April 28...is that the date for DVD release, or limited theatrical release?

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted April 14, 2006 19:59     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I checked a review of this movie title in a local paper and of course,they gave it a shitty review(mainstream idiots!). This movie is opening here in H-Town at LANDMARK OAKS THEATRE(RIVER OAKS-for any Houston-area Vodheads who are reading this)tonight and Saturday at midnight!!! Holy shit,I'll catch the Saturday show if I can't get into the Friday show, and of course I'll be wearing a Voivod shirt...I'll give a review on Sun or early next week.....AAARGGHHHH...FOR BLOOD AND DEATH WE SCREAM!!!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 14, 2006 21:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:
I checked a review of this movie title in a local paper and of course,they gave it a shitty review(mainstream idiots!). This movie is opening here in H-Town at LANDMARK OAKS THEATRE(RIVER OAKS-for any Houston-area Vodheads who are reading this)tonight and Saturday at midnight!!! Holy shit,I'll catch the Saturday show if I can't get into the Friday show, and of course I'll be wearing a Voivod shirt...I'll give a review on Sun or early next week.....AAARGGHHHH...FOR BLOOD AND DEATH WE SCREAM!!!!!

Excellent man. Houston must be a pretty cool town to show a movie like this! BTW, have you ever heard of a bar called the Amardillo Palace?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 15, 2006 03:57     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

Excerpt from Gaurdian:

'The Guardian' is a lefty broadsheet in the UK notorious for its often hilarious typos.

I'd like to think that Mez is being bitingly ironic here but he prolly ain't.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted April 15, 2006 21:15     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello Mezcalhead...I would say that in the past few years things are getting a bit better here with receiving films/bands that are coming to "Planet Hell"(an apt description for the summertime,tho last night was cool winds)(previously Austin would get the lion's share of specialty events like this). A Japanese band called "Polysics"(a hybrid gene splice of neon,crazy electron-roots rock that's sharing a slightly recessive DEVO-influence trait)came here twice in a year. I haven't heard of that club you mentioned...what kind of place is it? I saw "Metal" last night with another metal friend. Not a lot of folks there but everyone had fun. The director comes across as a likable,enthusiastic,dorky guy(I mean dorky in a good way just like we all were when we got into listening to fave metal bands as teenagers). He's not jaded,which is good. Of course the usual suspects are interviewed(ROB ZOMBIE/SABBATH/IRON MAIDEN/SLAYER/MOTLEY CRUE-yawn!/). There's quite a bit of SPINAL TAP-like moments with a few individuals who make themselves look like complete fuckin' idiots. There's interviews with fans of metal...the interview w/VOIVOD(Piggy/Away)was way too short and they were briefly talking about the factory town they grew up in(in "SURROUNDINGS" section). RUSH is interviewed briefly and Sam talks a bit more w/DIO(funny, this guy gets the absurdity that comes up in Metal and they're holding swords and doing the Power Metal pose). There's a look at album covers(interview w/CANNIBAL CORPSE)...the whole PMRC debacle(DEE SNIDER was funny in this segment!)..the GLAM METAL phase. The sociologists who dryly explain the paradigms of metal customs is a bit too typical. The talk with LEMMY was of course,priceless..they do the usual GIRLS IN METAL(no Lita Ford,c'mon.....)-DORO,GIRLSCHOOL...the Norway church burning thing..even the customs guy asked if Sam was talking about "BLACK METAL"...Venom gets interviewed...there's footage of WACKEN OPEN AIR FEST. The interviews are not as "in-depth and critical" as you would want them to be. I didnt get any new insight into a lot of these bands that I didnt already read about earlier and I was surprised at the omission of important bands like EXODUS/TESTAMENT/CELTIC FROST/DESTRUCTION/
HIRAX/TROUBLE/'WINO'/DEAD HORSE(in my own opinion). I also liked the IRON MAIDEN interview...no mystic nonsense,Bruce just breaks it down to basics. Sam also talks to the fans who are down for Metal(yeah!). I had hoped to see some coverage of CANADIAN Metal(RAZOR/SLAUGHTER/OBLIVEON/GORGUTS)-not there. After the film was over,I liked it a lot..okay,it's coming from his perspective which I can understand,so I'm not going to endlessly nit-pick over it. We all have our little preferences and his enthusiam for a 35yr old guy into a misunderstood subculture was refreshing(I'm 36!)and if it comes to your town,go see the damn thing and support Metal!...Ha,ha.....

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 16, 2006 22:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey man, thanks for the great review!! That's kind of what I expected...still sounds really entertaining though. Guess he was trying to make it appealing to a more widespread audience. Well, atleast there was no Godsmack....or am I wrong?????

I'm getting this when it comes out on dvd. No chance of this making it to Georgia I know for sure!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan