my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Bass, front and center

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bass, front and center
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 31, 2006 13:52     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So the 'snare drum' thread got me to thinking about how much I love a really present bass in the mix. Some good examples would be Voivod, The Beatles, Rush, Jesus Lizard, and Primus. I know I'm forgetting a ton of others, those are just the obvious ones off the top of my head.

Suggest some great songs/albums for bass fans, s'il vous plait.

|  IP: Logged
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 31, 2006 14:00     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looking at my avatar, you'd think I might have remembered Coroner.

I guess I should also clarify that I'm talking about stuff where the bass is used as a counter-melody and not just as a root-note bottom for the guitars to ride on.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted March 31, 2006 14:34     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hell yeah! I also love a good bass, properly set in the mix.

The band CAKE has a damn good bass player and is really the only reason i like them.

Special mention here to DEATH & TAXE$ as well.

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted March 31, 2006 15:33     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Chris Squire, of Yes, is the greatest bass-player who's ever lived. He's got a tone like no one else, always has just the right prominence in the mix, and his playing style can only be approximated by others.

Others are very good too, many are even within the 95% range of the greatness that is Chris Squire. And yet each one falls short in some way. Those who are flashier or more technically proficient than Squire cannot approximate that signature tone.

In an interview many years ago, Geddy Lee stated that if he were stranded on an island with only one record to listen to, it'd be Relayer by Yes. Just coincidentally, that album contains some of Squire's best work.

This is not just my opinion, it's a fact, and therefore cannot be disputed. Thank you and goodnight.

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted March 31, 2006 16:16     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes?

No!

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted March 31, 2006 16:23     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JOHN WETTON! (King Crimson 1973-75). Some of the best rock bass playing, ever. Especially in the live recordings... Cliff Burton had to have been a disciple of his.

Though obvious choices, I have to mention a couple of my favs: Geezer Butler and Steve Harris. Lots of great guitar-bass interplay going on with early Sabbath and Maiden.

Nice mention of the Jesus Lizard! David Sims' playing is one of the most similar in style and tone to Blacky's I've heard, which is one of the things I dig about JL.

--------------------

I am a robot... bleep blop bloop

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 31, 2006 17:44     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gene $immon$

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

anything
VoivodFan
Member # 209

posted March 31, 2006 18:25     Profile for anything   Email anything     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gentle Giant: Power and the Glory
Stranglers: Black and White
King Crimson: Red (Wetton as mentioned above)

Trollz
VoivodFan
Member # 393

posted March 31, 2006 18:29     Profile for Trollz   Email Trollz     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thin Lizzy - Emerald (live)
and I mean PHIL LYNOTT of course.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 31, 2006 18:49     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve Harris, since he writes a lot of the songs, of course there will be prominant bass.

--------------------

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 31, 2006 22:27     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe not a great example of an awesome bassist, but I love how Jeff Walker's bass sounds on Carcass' Heartwork...just a nice, full, deep bottom end while Amott and Steer go crazy with their "twin-git-fiddle" attack!

And as Hex pointed out, the bass sound Blacky got for Nothingface is simply amazing...bottom end with distorted "attack"...it doesn't get much better than that folks!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 31, 2006 22:39     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul:
gene $immon$

Actually, 'Goin Blind' is a perfect example of a great bass-driven song!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted March 31, 2006 23:46     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gene Simmons went bli$$nd alright

--------------------

Nico
VoivodFan
Member # 567

posted April 01, 2006 08:51     Profile for Nico   Email Nico     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DD Verni from overkill

--------------------

PAIN MAKES ME STRONGER EVERYDAY

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 02, 2006 05:35     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
Chris Squire, of Yes, is the greatest bass-player who's ever lived. He's got a tone like no one else

Thats because no one else wants to have a ratty no-balls midrange parp that gets in the way of the keyboards. It'd shit all over the guitar if Steve Howe didn't have such a shitty, scratchy tone himself.

That said, I fucking love Yes. Best live band I've ever seen next to Rolf Harris.

Best bassist? Ha! That's like saying 'best astronaut who didn't even get to land on the moon'.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted April 02, 2006 05:37     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just two - Steve DiGiorgio amd Lemmy

Two distinctly different styles, both totally awesome.

No point naming albums or tracks - just listen to ALL of it

--------------------

Hail Santa...

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 04, 2006 12:48     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm totally stoked to see my band get mentioned....thanks man.

Suprised no one hear has mentioned Flea. Like 'em or hate 'em, his bass sound is killer 9 times out of 10.
I also dig Doug Pinnick from King's X.
And I remember digging the bass on The End of Silence and Weight albums (Rollins Band). Can't remember who's on bass (I believe it's a different bass player on each album), but the bass sound kicks ass on those two.

But everyone wishes they had Wetton's sound, no doubt.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 05, 2006 08:43     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Jason is a great bass player.

His work on "...And Justice For All" is still highly influential.

Haha, just kidding...

But seriously, the guy who made me buy a bass (he made me, I swear, mom!) was Chris Squire. I got myself a bass just because I was obsessed by his playing on "Close To The Edge", and I think it was the first album I put on when I brought home my bass.

Special mention: John Entwhistle. Could he be the first one to have that "blower bass" sound? Just listen to "My Generation"! And "Boris the Spider"! I know that Squire was a huge fan.

VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted April 05, 2006 10:35     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
John Entwhistle and Doug Pinnick were definitely oversights on my part. The Who and King's X are great examples...
MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted April 05, 2006 12:26     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wish I knew how to post music up....you'd guys get a kick out the way we used to cover Boris the Spider! Wish I could play it for ya!
Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 05, 2006 14:38     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
Wish I knew how to post music up....you'd guys get a kick out the way we used to cover Boris the Spider! Wish I could play it for ya!

www.yousendit.com

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan