my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Away's Snare on X-Stream

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Away's Snare on X-Stream
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted March 30, 2006 13:27     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing i am always listening to in detail with different music i like...is the Snare Drum.
Away has tried many different things over the years, but i must say that i am impressed
with the Snare sound on X-Stream.
Granted...its not the best quality mp3 i have...i am gratefull to skul for recording it.
It just makes me anticipate the full CD even more!

For my own personal tastes...my favorite Snare sound was on the song 'Senses Working Overtime' by XTC.
Regardless of what you think of the song, you must admit the Drums Production was best.

Worst Snare i have ever heard...The last Metallica CD. Pang! Pang!...ugg!

Away is one of my heros on drums not just for his tricks...but the sounds he comes up with.

|  IP: Logged
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted March 30, 2006 14:14     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loove Blackclouds description of Lassie Ulrich's snare over at the CF board: Sonar ping

--------------------

"Sir, we are surrounded!
- Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 30, 2006 19:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Lars' snare sound on St Anger will haunt them long after they die... it's fuckin awful and it still blows my mind that they recorded it that way. They spend hours going over small details and they let something like shit snare trash can sound get released for the public to tear it apart... what the fuck

--------------------

yawn

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 30, 2006 21:09     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah...sonar pings, wtf was he thinking...although I believe it was our beloved Warcorpse who first described it as a sonar ping...got me rollin' on the ground with that one!

But on the subject of Away and his "snare-sounds" over the years...I believe the snare sound he got on Nothingface was perfectly the best! Well, it definitely worked for that album anyway...I love the drum production on that album...period! His worst snare-sound, imho, is on Phobos...it's just plain buried in the mix. Actually the whole drum mix on that album has problems.

*And what about how Away positions his snare, it's almost vertical...it's f'n crazy, I tell you!!!

--------------------

http://www.reverbnation.com/paulenglish

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted March 31, 2006 08:45     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I disagree with BC: i love the drum sound on Phobos, it sounds like the Big Bang and has a garage quality that I really like for some reason.

I think that Mulletallica tried to have a garage sound on St.Wanker, but failed. They should have listened to Phobos, which is the best exemple of a well-engineered chaos.
RIIIIIIIIISE!!!!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 31, 2006 09:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maldororz:
I disagree with BC: i love the drum sound on Phobos, it sounds like the Big Bang and has a garage quality that I really like for some reason.

I think that Mulletallica tried to have a garage sound on St.Wanker, but failed. They should have listened to Phobos, which is the best exemple of a well-engineered chaos.
RIIIIIIIIISE!!!!

it is 10 years ago this album came out, can you believe this???

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted March 31, 2006 10:33     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup, time flies. Actually it's 9 years, but who's counting?

I remember getting Phobos on june 23rd 1997, just before going to Murdochville to party with my buds there for La St-Jean Baptiste... getting royally trashed, and someone left the cd playing on repeat all thru the night... And i was passed out on the couch. I'd wake up briefly and hear all the weird noise effects between the songs and my head would explode, then i'd fall back to sleep... I was too trashed to even get up and press STOP. heh hehe.

Good times.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted March 31, 2006 10:50     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Yup, time flies. Actually it's 9 years, but who's counting?

I remember getting Phobos on june 23rd 1997, just before going to Murdochville to party with my buds there for La St-Jean Baptiste... getting royally trashed, and someone left the cd playing on repeat all thru the night... And i was passed out on the couch. I'd wake up briefly and hear all the weird noise effects between the songs and my head would explode, then i'd fall back to sleep... I was too trashed to even get up and press STOP. heh hehe.

Good times.

I remember some occasions like that too. Ain't that fun indeed!!
never got drunk on Voivod though. I know why that is. I have to share this passion with my cats instead of with my friends haha.

--------------------

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted March 31, 2006 11:24     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I used to worship the gated snare on the Prove You Wrong album (Prong).
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 31, 2006 12:49     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dunno which is worse - Huge Gated 80's Snare or Too-Tight 90's Funky side-thwak.

I know I'm meant to be a heavy metal fan and all but triggered kick drums that sound like a helicopter coming in to pick up beleagured troops strikes me as a bit fucking lazy. Unless you're the bloke from Def Leppard maybe.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

ShredTilDead
VoivodFan
Member # 392

posted March 31, 2006 15:41     Profile for ShredTilDead   Email ShredTilDead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No thread on this subject would be complete without mentioning the Sultan of Snare himself: Bill Bruford. Listen to "Thela Hun Ginjeet", or anything else on the Discipline album by King Crimson, and see if you don't agree.

When first learning drums, Bruford (incorrectly) kept whacking the rim of the snare-drum, instead of the center. Over the years it became impossible for him to unlearn this, so now he's resigned to his fate with the "fairly individual snare sound". This drives producers crazy, of course, since they tell him to knock it off and play normally...yet "that sound" still gets in somehow!

--------------------

My head explodes, my ears ring, I can't remember just where I've been.

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted April 03, 2006 08:15     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShredTilDead:
No thread on this subject would be complete without mentioning the Sultan of Snare himself: Bill Bruford. Listen to "Thela Hun Ginjeet", or anything else on the Discipline album by King Crimson, and see if you don't agree.

When first learning drums, Bruford (incorrectly) kept whacking the rim of the snare-drum, instead of the center. Over the years it became impossible for him to unlearn this, so now he's resigned to his fate with the "fairly individual snare sound". This drives producers crazy, of course, since they tell him to knock it off and play normally...yet "that sound" still gets in somehow!

I remember hearing him talk about it in the Yes documentary, saying that he used that rimshot technique on "Roundabout" so that the snare sound could make it through Squire's ENORMOUS bass sound. It's really a fantastic snare sound, just making a huge "PANG!". (Hey, it's almost becoming the bass thread, here)

Also, I do remember that Fripp forbid Bruford to use cymbals during the "Discipline" recordings. Good thing, cymbals suck!!!!!!!

More COWBELL!!!

EDIT: Which reminds me, do you think that "The X-Stream" would have ROCKED even harder if it had cowbell?

tony galiffo
VoivodFan
Member # 774

posted April 08, 2006 09:28     Profile for tony galiffo   Email tony galiffo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lars wasnt using a snare he was using a trash can!

--------------------

"some people look at the glass and think its half full; well i see the glass as half empty and ask the world who fucking drank my drink!?''
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted April 08, 2006 11:55     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lars is a trash can I would love to beat on

--------------------

Surf/Slam82
VoivodFan
Member # 741

posted April 27, 2006 17:06     Profile for Surf/Slam82   Email Surf/Slam82     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to admit, I like the drums on
St. Anger because they sound DIFFERENT.

When you play in such a low key, so loud,
you have to tune the snare good so you
can hear it stand out.

My favorite, drummer b-sides Away is
Marquis Marky from Coroner.

He always makes great fills and plays super tight.

See also , Apollyon Sun.

Best live drummer, hands down, IMO.

E-FORCE13
VoivodFan
Member # 746

posted April 28, 2006 03:40     Profile for E-FORCE13   Email E-FORCE13     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snare sound???

OUTER LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!
KILLER........

code
VoivodFan
Member # 192

posted May 02, 2006 19:12     Profile for code   Email code     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Outer Limits have a cool snare sound. Sounds like the drums are played on pads? I really like the overall production on Outer Limits as well, spacy shit. A bit sad the bass is not distorted though. But my absolute fav snare, and overall drum sound is on Nothingface. Ahh those lovely pin stripe toms

--------------------

Tonight we celebrate!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted May 02, 2006 22:22     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by E-FORCE13:
Snare sound???

OUTER LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!
KILLER........

Fuck yeah. That has to be one of my faves too. I like Priest's snare on Screaming For Vengeance too. It's so fucking HUGE, but you can tell it's the same as British Steel and Point Of Entry...just way bigger.

I also really dig Bostaph's snare on Slayer's Gemini. Anything Bob Jarzombek has done in the last 6 years or so too. Mind you, he could play a wet paper sack with a piece of shoestring and it would sound awesome. Grohl's snare on Probot and QOTSA is sweet. Punchy and big, but natural. Good mix overall on the drums on both albums.

I'm kind of partial to the gated snare (not too heavily though), but if it's a wicked player like Nicko McBrain or Martin Lopez then a natural sound can do wonders in heavy music too.

sidbru
VoivodFan
Member # 457

posted May 03, 2006 10:44     Profile for sidbru   Email sidbru     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Samhain's Initium. Hits you in the guts more than most kick drums.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan