my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » SKYPE

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SKYPE
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 08, 2006 13:56     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone ever try this? Free phone communication through your pc. All you need is a mic hooked up. I use it with my cousin in California(on the opposite coast from me) and its crystal clear. Easy to download too. Be fun to talk to some of you people again. My username is leekit1333. If you see me online hit me up. And this applies to everybody, its global...unless you're in China where it might not be legal(of course if you're a hot young chinese female go ahead and give me a shout, you only live once right??)

www.skype.com

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted March 08, 2006 14:19     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was checking out the website a few days ago after reading about it in a Tech article.
Was thinking about getting it so i can save money on my calls to the states.
Phone service here is expensive.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 09, 2006 12:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonut:
Proprietary. Your bandwidth may be used to route other people's calls. Not interoperable with other VoIP protocols.

Verdict - count me out.

Translate this please.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted March 09, 2006 12:30     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your whatchamcallit may be used to expand other peoples thingymcbobbers but its not intercoagumacpatable with other companies yak yak protopooables.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 09, 2006 14:33     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jesus! You on one help desk and Hex on the other. Me in the middle loosing my tiny mind.

Lee, I reckon you'd look really cool with a headset mic on. Please post a picture.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted March 09, 2006 15:02     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:

Lee, I reckon you'd look really cool with a headset mic on. Please post a picture.

Or, simply Photoshop one onto your dome in that new myspazz pic of yours.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted March 09, 2006 16:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its probably a good thing I never learned how to post pictures here. I might have gotten banned a long time ago. "Nooooooo, not another one of him in that tight pair of jeans!!!!!!!"
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 09, 2006 17:33     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Proprietary. Your bandwidth may be used to route other people's calls. Not interoperable with other VoIP protocols.

Verdict - count me out.

There is one way to possibly overcome that... all ya need is a port scanner, any freeware type like I.P.Tools, After you have registered to the site and begin to make a connection/call, 1.) shut down all other connections to the net eg: downloads ect... 2.) fire up ya port scanner and connect your call, then skim through the scanners app to see how many connections are being made... close down or block all conections except your ISP's I.P. and the I.P. addy of the website you are making the call, they should be the only two connections running if everything else like downloading apps are shut down.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted March 09, 2006 18:54     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn, i realize how little i know about computer when you thrash geeks start typing all that tech stuff... I'm LOST.

MEZ, the net has allowed you to break hearts all around the world. The Global Gigalo

--------------------

yawn

Slugaloo
VoivodFan
Member # 344

posted March 10, 2006 12:36     Profile for Slugaloo   Email Slugaloo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lynn:
Your whatchamcallit may be used to expand other peoples thingymcbobbers but its not intercoagumacpatable with other companies yak yak protopooables.

Still, this idiot needs a translation!
The Global Gigalo!!!

--------------------

theres only so many double kick drum'd songs with singers shouting the F word you can take before it becomes extremely dull.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted March 10, 2006 17:38     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See Mez? See where your cheapskate motherfuckery gets you?! You, Gordon Gekko in your suit n' tie, trying to save a dime on the telephone!

I don't mind if you want to post some pictures of yourself in tight jeans.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted March 10, 2006 19:22     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Won't work. The nature of Skype is that your own call might be routed through other people's Skype machines, so by disabling connections you shoot yourself in the foot. And this approach doesn't overcome the proprietary and undocumented nature of skype's protocol in any way.

It is a good trick for other bandwidth leeching apps/sites out there.
I have never logged onto the skype site but now it seems i have cause

/where there's a will there's a way

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan