my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Chapman stick

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chapman stick
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted February 14, 2006 16:50     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone ever heard of this instrument? Check it out!

clicky

Why need a bass player AND a guitar player ?? You can cut down on paycheck costs....

--------------------

trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr
trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr ta trrrrr

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 14, 2006 17:36     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
cool instrument indeed.
have you heard of Trey Gunn or Tony Levin? Probably 2 of the most famous players of this instrument. I was watching a Sylvian / Fripp live dvd yesterday and Gunn was playing one on that. The King Crimson live dvds also showcase the guys using them and I'm sure Levin plays them on the Peter Gabriel concert dvds also.

awesome sound

--------------------

yawn

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 14, 2006 17:47     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any fan of King Crimson will know this instrument.

And yeah, my bass player used to play one. Most of you guys know my story, but my bass player passed away a couple of years ago, and he willed it to me. So now I'm the proud owner of a Chapman Stick.
As a matter of fact, my bass player used to work for Emmett Chapman (the creator of the Chapman Stick) so I'm more than familiar with it. The guy in your link is Greg Howard. I don't know him on a personal level, but I have met him on several occasions. We did a gig together once. It was cool too. Since he was doing a solo set, my band set up prior to his going on (we were headlining the night).
And during the last few minutes of his final piece, we joined him on stage and did a lengthy improv before charging into our set. It was a great transition and an honor to share the stage with him. He's a very accomplished musician and a very sweet guy.
On a commercial note, I believe he has performing credits on a couple of Dave Mathews Band albums.
www.cdbaby.com/deathtaxes2

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 14, 2006 18:48     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Come to think of it, I think Sean Malone plays the Stick as well. Didn't he do an album with Cynic or was it Death. I can't remember. In any case, there are guys who can bring the beast out of that instrument besides Levin and Gunn.
www.Stick.com

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 14, 2006 19:07     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry for blowing up this thread...but I'm happy to see this instrument get attention. Just wanted to share again that I had the pleasure of sharing the stage with Emmette Chapman himself on more than one occasion. I wouldn't necessarily call him a friend, but he would recognize me if he saw me and would happily have a meal with me.
His whole family is nice as can be. As a matter of fact, his daughter rocks it quite hard in a metal band that plays here in LA. I'll post a link up in a little bit if it's still active. Some of you guys might dig it (although she doesn't play stick in the band....just a standard bass).

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 14, 2006 23:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, we all know what they say about "opinions"... so I'll leave it at that.

Of course you just can't pick up an instrument like the 'stick' and start playing it... you have to learn it, since it's obviously not the same as a guitar or bass. But for those that have learned how to play it properly it sure does add a whole new dimension to a band that has an accomplished player.

Cool stories Mr Mustard thanks for sharing them. Sean Malone also was featured on the OSI album.

Greg Howard opened for Porcupine Tree (or was it KC) a few years ago. I could see he had definitley mastered the instrument however after a few tunes it became kind of redundant, and a bit boring to me. I would have much rather seen him with a band instead of as a solo act, although I don't think he performs with a group. I do love the sounds the stick can create.

--------------------

yawn

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 15, 2006 09:09     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
(although she doesn't play stick in the band....).

I'm rather fond of playing the stick in the bedroom, however...

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 15, 2006 10:52     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pretty sure I've seen John Myung playing a Chapman Stick on a Dream Theatre DVD. Lets face it, aside from muso Prog there isn't much scope for the thing.

Gotta love Elephant Talk - thats Stick on there, right? I saw Peter Gabrial a couple of years ago with Levin - I don't recall him playing a stick, but he did play a 3-string Musicman on 'Big Time' with those drumstick-finger things he uses. In a big black trenchcoat. Tony Levin is as cool as it gets.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2006 07:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EKH wrote: "Tony Levin is as cool as it gets."

DAMN STRAIGHT... he is da man
Is there anyone or any genre of rock he hasn't played with or on? Every time I pick up a tribute cd Tony's on it. I can't wait to hear where the new King Crimson music is headed. I'm glad he's back in the fold.

--------------------

yawn

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 16, 2006 08:58     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Tony Levin is as cool as it gets.

With or without mustache...

:-{

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 16, 2006 15:09     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This guy's track record is just ridiculous.
Can you get more impressive?

He's recorded with John Lennon, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd! That's just sick!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted February 16, 2006 15:53     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup - his solo stuff is very beautiful too, maybe not what you'd expect.

But it don't seem right, him without the 'tach.

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 16, 2006 20:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, he doesn't look right without the signature facial hair.

i've got a cool video called TALES FROM THE WIDOW JANE MINE which is documentary footage of the making of the album "From The Caves Of The Iron Mountain" which was recorded inside the Catskills Mountains with all the ambient natural sounds. Very cool It also features Jerry Marotta and Steve Gorn

--------------------

yawn

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan