my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod Albums (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Voivod Albums
Brasil_Metal
VoivodFan
Member # 756

posted February 08, 2006 15:23     Profile for Brasil_Metal   Email Brasil_Metal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey guys....

Voivod is one of those special bands, an unique one(also one one of my top 3), so it cant be categorized, but its albums can, so give me your opinions:

War And Pain - Speed/Thrash
Rrroooaaarrr - Speed/Thrash
Killing Technology - Thrash/Progressive (75%/25%)
Dimension Hatross - Thrash/Progressive (60%/40%)
Nothingface - Progressive Metal
Angel Rat - Progressive Rock
The Outer Limits - Prog Metal/Prog Rock

and anyone knows any band or album similar to any disc from Killing Technology to The Outer Limits?

|  IP: Logged
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted February 08, 2006 17:34     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello & welcome newbie!

I'm one of those that doesn't get into categorizing metal. Mostly because most of the time I can't tell speed from thrash, doom from death, black from white, etc., etc.

But you do make one very valid point:

quote:
Originally posted by Brasil_Metal:
Voivod is one of those special bands, an unique one

We love hearing that around here! Voivod is...the most...da bomb...the cat's meow...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 08, 2006 17:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my catagory for voivod :
GREAT MUSIC

--------------------

yawn

Brasil_Metal
VoivodFan
Member # 756

posted February 08, 2006 18:12     Profile for Brasil_Metal   Email Brasil_Metal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ahahahha I imagined those would be the majority of the answers...
And Im not much into categorizing the bands I hear, I did that so I could find similar bands...
And I did found some : Doom(Jap), Mekong Delta(1st Album), Calhoun Conquer.... but im always looking for and if someone could help....

MeanMrMustard
VoivodFan
Member # 57

posted February 08, 2006 19:17     Profile for MeanMrMustard   Email MeanMrMustard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.cdbaby.com/deathtaxes2

I heard they are a pretty good band!

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 08, 2006 20:43       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DBC
IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 08, 2006 21:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeanMrMustard:
www.cdbaby.com/deathtaxes2

I heard they are a pretty good band!

I'll second the thumbs up for DEATH & TAXES In a week my friends band MUSEUM OF FEAR will have their new cd ep on CD BABY and I will expect everyone here to buy a copy... more details when I get them

Also look for H's and Nell's ultra mega incredible experimental groove trip band END OF LEVEL BOSS. You will not be dissapointed. Lots of talent in this forum of people.

--------------------

yawn

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted February 08, 2006 21:55       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey my wife loves that MUSEUM OF FEAR.She takes it to work and plays it alot.In fact i've only heard it once because it's never here.
IP: Logged
Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted February 09, 2006 01:20     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Anyone know any bands or albums similar to any disc from Killing Technology to The Outer Limits?

Good Luck.. your buck stops here

Give Treponem Pal self titled release a try, its all i can think of but if you do find any other, please let us know.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 09, 2006 07:28     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DEAD BRAIN CELL aka DBC had that sci fi metal feel, although not as refined and unique as Voivod, still worth having in your collection.

King Crimson was a huge influence on Voivod and another band who has been "often imitated - never duplicated". If you're not familiar with KC you are missing out on a world of incredible music that spans many decades and defies catagorization.
Court of the Crimson King
Red
Discipline
Thrak
The Power To Believe

just to name a few that span their career. But be careful, once you get sucked into King Crimson, it could cost you a lot of money to feed your addiction... TRUST ME

--------------------

yawn

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted February 09, 2006 07:59     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obliveon had a DH/KT vibe... so did Anacrusis.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 09, 2006 09:07     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, Brasil_Metal, where are you from?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

glauco
VoivodFan
Member # 565

posted February 09, 2006 09:10     Profile for glauco   Email glauco     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
hey guys....

Voivod is one of those special bands, an unique one(also one one of my top 3), so it cant be categorized, but its albums can, so give me your opinions:

War And Pain - Speed/Thrash
Rrroooaaarrr - Speed/Thrash
Killing Technology - Thrash/Progressive (75%/25%)
Dimension Hatross - Thrash/Progressive (60%/40%)
Nothingface - Progressive Metal
Angel Rat - Progressive Rock
The Outer Limits - Prog Metal/Prog Rock

and anyone knows any band or album similar to any disc from Killing Technology to The Outer Limits?

Killing it's punky too... dont'you believe?

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted February 09, 2006 09:26     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sla˙tanic:
Hey, Brasil_Metal, where are you from?

Well, duh, he's from Brasil!

Brasil_Metal, are you a Richard Marx fan too? I heard lots of brazilian love Richard. Maybe you can share bootlegs with Slaytanic?

Anyway, welcome aboard!

(And I second about King Crimson, don't forget Lark's Tongues in Aspic!)

Ron Mc Gregor
VoivodFan
Member # 595

posted February 09, 2006 10:12     Profile for Ron Mc Gregor   Email Ron Mc Gregor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
DEAD BRAIN CELL aka DBC had that sci fi metal feel, although not as refined and unique as Voivod, still worth having in your collection.

King Crimson was a huge influence on Voivod and another band who has been "often imitated - never duplicated". If you're not familiar with KC you are missing out on a world of incredible music that spans many decades and defies catagorization.
Court of the Crimson King
Red
Discipline
Thrak
The Power To Believe

just to name a few that span their career. But be careful, once you get sucked into King Crimson, it could cost you a lot of money to feed your addiction... TRUST ME

Lark's tongue in aspic
Starless in bible black
Vroom vroom
Lizard

...ALL of them!

--------------------

VOIVOD STUFF / AUT'CHOSE
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff.html
http://www.lucienfrancoeur.com/voivod_stuff/index.html
http://www.myspace.com/autchose

Brasil_Metal
VoivodFan
Member # 756

posted February 09, 2006 10:35     Profile for Brasil_Metal   Email Brasil_Metal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well thanks for the answers so far....

Glauco: as i said they are a unique band they sure have punk, and many other influences on KT and on everything they done

Slaytanic: só podia ser bambi....

Luna
VoivodFan
Member # 389

posted February 09, 2006 10:46     Profile for Luna   Email Luna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Slaytanic: só podia ser bambi....

Yeah, what he said. Right.
Hello to Brasil_Metal then.

--------------------

What the fuck is wrong with drinking tea?

Brasil_Metal
VoivodFan
Member # 756

posted February 09, 2006 12:31     Profile for Brasil_Metal   Email Brasil_Metal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
portuguese... sorry... but only him needed to undestand
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 09, 2006 14:54     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yawn.

Okay, I'm gonna ask again, in a way even a 2-year-old Corinthians fan can understand: which state are you from, Brasil_Metal? DE QUE ESTADO VOCĘ É?

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted February 09, 2006 14:59     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malaodororaorraooarandpain:

Well, duh, he's from Brasil!

I don't remember asking "where is he from Ugly ass?"

--------------------

Huck Finn
VoivodFan
Member # 585

posted February 09, 2006 15:38     Profile for Huck Finn   Email Huck Finn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard Brazil!

There is a group called Union Made who had some good songs, look for them in the download section of this very site.

Good punk riffs and the singer, well you need to hear him for yourself.

--------------------

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted February 09, 2006 17:48     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Huck Finn:
Welcome aboard Brazil!

There is a group called Union Made who had some good songs, look for them in the download section of this very site.

Good punk riffs and the singer, well you need to hear him for yourself.

Hey you're correct, that guy in Union Made did sound familiar. Cool cd for sure.

you all fight nicely now... hear me?

--------------------

yawn

Brasil_Metal
VoivodFan
Member # 756

posted February 09, 2006 18:09     Profile for Brasil_Metal   Email Brasil_Metal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i heard some ppl saying watchtower some times sound like voivod... but i think this is only because they are labeled as prog thrash because for me they dont sound nothing alike.....
theres also this band called O.L.D., their album Lo Flux Tube have riffs that are really close to voivod...

Brasil_Metal
VoivodFan
Member # 756

posted February 09, 2006 19:54     Profile for Brasil_Metal   Email Brasil_Metal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like Mekong Delta but not very much....
I like everything till Visions Fugitive but the only one I really enjoy and could listen everyday is the 1st one, thats why I listed it. But TMOEZ, The Principle Of Doubt and Dances Of Death indeed are the most similar to voivod

hmmmm

Coroner in albums like Mental Vortex have a Voivodish sound (dont forget that the great majority of the bands listed by me can be compared in the sound, but they dont have the same quality that Voivod does, im trying to find a band that makes me feel like I did the first time I heard the Warriors of ice)

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted February 09, 2006 23:49     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey,Brasil Metal...welcome to the high-fission nuclear blast of Voivodfan.com,you chaosmonger!!! It's very cool that you've heard of Doom(Japan)-I totally love their stuff-the bassist was unbelievable fluid and technical in his playing..I heard he had to stop(tendonitis?). They had a kaleidoscopic,high-tower metallic sound. Coroner rules,too!! Anacrusis as well,another very underrated band-Iowa Beef Experience(they played in Houston a couple of times during the early 90's-a lot of intensity and remote creepiness with open-minded finesses that comes from listening to many types of music. As for Voivod(a structure unto itself)-buy all the albums and listen in order...the evolution is very interesting...Die Kreuzen,Young Gods,Melvins,KIlling Joke,Red Monkey(UK),Captain Beefheart,76% Uncertain,Jesus Lizard,Thought Industry(can't forget them-from Kalamazoo,Michigan)......

"Set the controls for Planet Hell..."

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan